Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzedout View Post
I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AOUJ2G8

It comes with 2 front screen protectors (nothing for the back unfortunately).
And it does add some excellent grip to the device.

The only downside is that the case is shiny rather than matte, so it can be distracting in the sun.

edit: and I forgot to mention: if you use your gps, *don't* get the aluminium bumpers - apparently they degrade reception and block the gps.
I prefer TPU covers anyway (I have a TPU bumpercase on my current phone as well). I never cared for metalic cases...

Let's see if I can find a Dutch shop that also sells them (the shipping is the same price as the product ...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #17
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post

I am tempted to get one nonetheless again as it is a lovely thing, just deeply impractical. It does hoover up battery even under 4.4 because there is an app on the phone from a Yota partner that is a dictionary... you can't get rid of the service and it is constantly connecting to Russia to update them on your whereabouts. No diffferent to Google obviously, but this constant monitoring is a bit of a drain on the battery. I am really not James Bond... honestly...
Could you be more precise, about the service? It was to expect of course considering even that in US was not sold. Anyway if you give me the name of the service we open a discussion with the developers to get rid of it
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #18
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Snap! I bought one of those a couple of days ago. It'll probably arrive before my new mobile.
Me too. Should be arriving any day now.

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I also bricked my first Yotaphone 2 trying to upgrade to Lollipop When I realised the price had gone down so dramatically, I ordered a second one immediately. It was about €150 on Aliexpress, where the prices are now as low as €120, with free shipping to EU (you still have to pay customs though). Mine updated itself to Lollipop as soon as I connected to the wifi. It came in an unopened box and was clearly brand new.
It worked fine out of the box but then gave me a big scare when I installed my apps: the phone kept locking the screen while I was using it, and ignored my attempts to unlock it. I tried a lot of things to no avail, until I finally figured out it was caused by an app (which had worked fine on my previous Androids for years). I uninstalled it and no problems since. Great to own this unique phone again!
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #20
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
It does hoover up battery even under 4.4 because there is an app on the phone from a Yota partner that is a dictionary... you can't get rid of the service and it is constantly connecting to Russia to update them on your whereabouts. No diffferent to Google obviously, but this constant monitoring is a bit of a drain on the battery.
Which app do you mean? ABBYY Lingvo? Why do you think it sends your location to Russia? Have you tried rooting the phone and removing the app?
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, mine came just today! I'm an Android rookie, so expect some silly questions from me once in a while...

First impression, it feels like a nice phone (not that I'll be using it as a phone ) Just entered my google account so it' trying to start the store...

First questions: can you change those 4 icons on the back (it now has a phone, I presume a chat, mail and alarm?)
Second question: where can you change the weather setting? It now says I'm in Moscow...
Old 11-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #22
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Which app do you mean? ABBYY Lingvo? Why do you think it sends your location to Russia? Have you tried rooting the phone and removing the app?
Also if there was spyware, the unity sold are so minimal that there would be any benefit in tracking locations and metadata, after all with most of the telephone now there are other major companies in US that know muuuuuuuuuuch more about us
Old 11-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #23
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, mine came just today! I'm an Android rookie, so expect some silly questions from me once in a while...

First impression, it feels like a nice phone (not that I'll be using it as a phone ) Just entered my google account so it' trying to start the store...

First questions: can you change those 4 icons on the back (it now has a phone, I presume a chat, mail and alarm?)
Second question: where can you change the weather setting? It now says I'm in Moscow...
after you will do the registration things will go easy, and the location will be changed. I would recommend you to focus on the ereader if you are an android newbe, make at least functional the ereader, because learning Android has small but present learning curve as everything can be personalized. The good news is that if you find in Internet you find everything, and this is a great pro. Install the reader that you like more and that's it, then you learn knowledge of what else you want to do( is like an iphone for 80 per cent of not super users, the app work similar FB, whatsapp, gmail, maps, etc just use google play that is like the apple store), and yes of course you can change everything, i recommend you to use the mirror.

What you will love is that you can add music and files just connecting to the pc without any itune, and there are thousands of themes to personalize Android, and even more considering you can put pics on the back of yp2

The second thing study the yotaphone main apps, are 2 or 3 and really simple, so that you learn how to communicate between the two.
Consider that .. if you use the epub ereader on the back, the one inbuilt on the phone, you are going to consume almost nothing, and the same is for the always on notifications. In other words there is a huge battery difference between using the apps in mirror mode( on the eink) and the dedicated yp platform.

Last thing as you are newbe, consider to look in internet optimizing android, battery life etc. a lot of apps are aggressively taking control of your system making kind of "internet calls" continuously, so less you install and better is, a really easy life saver is to switch the phone to airplane mode( you stop the continous network calls mentioned) or better, deactivate internet remaining 2G so that you can receive calls and sms in real time. Enjoy
Old 11-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
after you will do the registration things will go easy, and the location will be changed.
<snip>
I'm not a complete newbie in Android, my first tablet was 2.2, which I then upgraded to 3.1. And my current tablet is 4.4.something. But that's a samsung with a Touchwizz on it. Which, I once saw, is a completely different feel than plain Android... But I never installed Itunes...

Can you disable that voice thing? It's annoying! And can you remove that search bar on top of the main screen?
Old 11-14-2016, 03:31 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My new phone arrived at the weekend, and is now installed in its bumper case (which is rather shiny, so I'm on the lookout for something with a matt finish) and with a screen protector (although I'm still waiting for the thicker, glass, screen protector to arrive.)

Now I just need to find time to customise it and check it out properly. I expect my Voyage to stay at my bedside again shortly.

My next thing to do is to try out kacir's hint from the other thread:

"You do not have to use the build-in app for reading the books, you can also use your favorite Android app and switch on display mirroring. But when you do that, you should modify a config file telling Yotaphone to switch on 16shades graphics instead of default B/W for mirroring mode for that particular app.
16 shade mode has refresh frequency 2Hz and B/W has 8Hz
See http://forum.xda-developers.com/yotaphone-one/general/how-to-read-manga-e-ink-display-16-gray-t3474189"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:42 AM   #26
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
My next thing to do is to try out kacir's hint from the other thread:

"You do not have to use the build-in app for reading the books, you can also use your favorite Android app and switch on display mirroring. But when you do that, you should modify a config file telling Yotaphone to switch on 16shades graphics instead of default B/W for mirroring mode for that particular app.
16 shade mode has refresh frequency 2Hz and B/W has 8Hz
See http://forum.xda-developers.com/yotaphone-one/general/how-to-read-manga-e-ink-display-16-gray-t3474189"
I use gitden with no additional configuration. Not a bad display, perhaps I'll check this... if I don't have to root it, that is.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #27
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
My new phone arrived at the weekend, and is now installed in its bumper case (which is rather shiny, so I'm on the lookout for something with a matt finish) and with a screen protector (although I'm still waiting for the thicker, glass, screen protector to arrive.)
It is indeed a bit shiny but it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-14 11.48.21.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	152994

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I need to order one. And a screenprotector too, I really really really hate the naked glass of all electronic devices (except e-ink)

Edit: and did just that, why wait if you can do it now and might forget it later!

Last edited by Sweetpea; 11-14-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #29
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'm not a complete newbie in Android, my first tablet was 2.2, which I then upgraded to 3.1. And my current tablet is 4.4.something. But that's a samsung with a Touchwizz on it. Which, I once saw, is a completely different feel than plain Android... But I never installed Itunes...

Can you disable that voice thing? It's annoying! And can you remove that search bar on top of the main screen?
OT
Sweetpea, Android is great system, but takes some hack to make it really performant. Touchwiz AFAIK is improving a lot but still is the first cause of battery drain and sluggish bloatware operative system low performance on Samsung, there is an hack really good, a sw in google play that cancel all the Touchwiz things and make the phone much better. You can disable the voice thing is really easy but there are 3 level of customization. In google you can find how to do it. check these settings https://support.google.com/websearch...DAndroid&hl=en
Old 11-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #30
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I use gitden with no additional configuration. Not a bad display, perhaps I'll check this... if I don't have to root it, that is.
AFAIK the choice from YP Engineers was to avoid flushing and maintain high responsivness, so can be a double weapon to use this trick. Especially because animations should be disabled if you use the 16 shades, but it is just my opinion