Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Proliferation of file types....

Getting some strange things in my "Add Books" function/Kindle 4 PC.....
In my "Kindle Content" that pops up when I hit "Add Books", I used to have 2 BOK versions of my purchased book , one of which I highlighted and clicked "Open" to automatically add to Calibre Library - or now I have to physically Drag 'n Drop over to Calibre for some reason.
However, now I'm getting 3 versions of the last two purchases - Kindle Content, MBP, or PHL. I chose the Kindle Content option on each, and it happily entered Calibre as an AZW3.

Why am I now getting these 3 file types ? ( And can I safely delete two of them to shrink the size of my Kindle content panel ..........)

And, incidentally, can anyone tell me a APNX file is, which is another new one on me ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Why am I now getting these 3 file types ? ( And can I safely delete two of them to shrink the size of my Kindle content panel ..........)

And, incidentally, can anyone tell me a APNX file is, which is another new one on me ?
The extra files all store metadata about the book that the Kindle app uses. Don't delete them. (The APNX matches locations in the kindle book to page numbers in a paper edition of the same book.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have an APNX file, can you put that into the same directory as the eBook and have Calibre send that to the Kindle when it sends the book?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The extra files all store metadata about the book that the Kindle app uses. Don't delete them. (The APNX matches locations in the kindle book to page numbers in a paper edition of the same book.)
Thanks Paul - I can see me having to get my Kindle books records up to scratch.
What is the practical use for an APNX file - would you ever want to cross ref the paper and ebook, for example ?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is the practical use for an APNX file - would you ever want to cross ref the paper and ebook, for example ?
References. Also, there have long been complaints about Kindle 'locations'. People wanted page numbers, and this is the way Amazon decided to do that.
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard

I seee - but what is that with Amazon, no page numbers ? I find it most annoying when wanting to carry on reading same book on another device.

(Do they think most readers are innumerate ........? )

Last edited by carpetmojo; 10-29-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I seee - but what is that with Amazon, no page numbers ? I find it most annoying when wanting to carry on reading same book on another device.

(Do they think most readers are innumerate ........? )
Page numbers are trickier in ebooks than it might appear. ADE does it by arbitrarily deciding that 1K of source HTML is one page.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Carpetmojo,
For any ebook viewer (hardware or software), the various display settings (margins, font size, text justification, etc) makes the use of page numbers ambiguous as a meaningful reference point. By altering these settings the user could go to either extreme: a single letter on a page, or thousands of words on a page. Thus creating a problem with continuing to use page numbers, in general, as a reference point.

However, there are still more physical books than ebooks in the world at present and there has to be some way to try and create a matching reference point for discussion and citation purposes. So page numbers are still being used for ebooks, but they're implemented in a "fuzzy logic" manner: an ebook page size is approximated.

Obviously this is not an optimal citation method. This probably won't change for another decade until ebooks have reached about 60% saturation in the public (library), private and commercial markets, worldwide. Thereafter something more akin to calibre's reference method (chapter and paragraph numbering) might prove more useful as it's dependent on data, not location. Since data is cheap to maintain, full bibliographic citations are more likely, along with a quote, to make syncing reference points between various editions easier -- particularly paper editions.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have an APNX file, can you put that into the same directory as the eBook and have Calibre send that to the Kindle when it sends the book?
You can add any filetype as a calibre record, but will need some type of plugin to get calibre to sync the APNX and PHL.

I asked Kovid to integrate such an option but he said wontfix because he feels it's not worth it.

If you create such a plugin, I'd be happy to hear it. Or maybe someday I will...

There is a built-in feature to generate approximated APNX's on the fly while sending to Kindle, but not to use Amazon's saved APNX.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote