gdamjan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen
Issue with TOC on Kindle Paperwhite2

I've created some ebooks from html source to epub/awz3 with calibre:

Code:
ebook-convert --level1-toc //h:h2 --level2-toc //h:h3 --level3-toc //h:h4  \
    --page-breaks-before="//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2' or name()='h3']" \
    source.html out.epub
The html has two levels of toc, h2 tags for chapters and h3 sub-chapters. Now, in the calibre ebook reader the TOC is just fine, showing both level1 toc and expanding to level2 toc entries.

But in the Paperwhite2 reader, when I open the Go To menu, while I can see all the level1 chapters, the first level1 chapter can't be expanded. all the others level1 chapters can be expanded, just the first one doesn't.

Any suggestions what to look in the .awz3 source for?
gdamjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
It's a bug introduced with 5.4.x firmware (test the same file on PW1 with fw 5.3.9 and ToC will work fine). Now the first element in ncx ToC must not be multilevel , if it is you get that non-expandable bug. So to "fix" your book (because obviously Amazon has no intention of fixing the device/firmware bug) use Calibre ToC editor and add link for something like "Title Page" before that multilevel element.

Last edited by shamanNS; 07-11-2014 at 11:37 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert