Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
Awfki
Awfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Moon+ Reader (ePub)
Behavior change? Enter doesn't edit fields any more.

I used to be able to highlight a field in Calibre and press Enter to edit the field but it seems to have stopped working.

Is this an intended change or something wrong? If it's intended can I re-enable it?

Running 3.13, just upgraded today. Not sure if Enter was still working in 3.12 but I think it was.

I looked through the options and don't see anything that looks relevant.

Last edited by Awfki; 12-01-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: does != doesn't
Awfki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfki View Post
I used to be able to highlight a field in Calibre and press Enter to edit the field but it seems to have stopped working.

Is this an intended change or something wrong? If it's intended can I re-enable it?

Running 3.13, just upgraded today. Not sure if Enter was still working in 3.12 but I think it was.

I looked through the options and don't see anything that looks relevant.
calibre has release notes for a reason.

https://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Awfki
Awfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and graceAwfki herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
calibre has release notes for a reason.
And I read them. But I didn't see the thing yesterday that I see today.

Still, "added a tweak" doesn't tell me where the "tweak" is at. There are 21 choices in Preferences and multiple tabs and dialogs under most of those.

BTW, your sarcasm is not appreciated. I looked, I didn't find the answer. This is the help forum listed on the Calibre web site so how about helping? If you don't feel like helping why are you in the help forum?

Let me give the answer you should have given.

* Go to: Preferences->Advanced->Tweaks
* Search for "Enter" in the "Search for tweak" box.
* In the left column it should select "Control the behavior of the book list"
* In the bottom section you'll see
** enter_key_behavior = 'do nothing'
* Change 'do nothing' to 'edit_cell'
* Apply, restart Calibre and we've restored the previous behavior

Last edited by Awfki; 12-02-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: I was being a dick
Old 12-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
And I read them. But I didn't see the thing yesterday that I see today.

Still, "added a tweak" doesn't tell me where the "tweak" is at. There are 21 choices in Preferences and multiple tabs and dialogs under most of those.

BTW, your sarcasm is not appreciated. I looked, I didn't find the answer. This is the help forum listed on the Calibre web site so how about helping? If you don't feel like helping why are you in the help forum?

Let me give the answer you should have given.

* Go to: Preferences->Advanced->Tweaks
* Search for "Enter" in the "Search for tweak" box.
* In the left column it should select "Control the behavior of the book list"
* In the bottom section you'll see
** enter_key_behavior = 'do nothing'
* Change 'do nothing' to 'edit_cell'
* Apply, restart Calibre and we've restored the previous behavior
The answer you wanted was in the release notes, Read the Manaul.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Awfki - A search of this forum for 'enter key' would have led you to this thread. And a search for 'tweak' in the calibre Users Manual would have led you to Tweaks

'Happiness belongs to the self sufficient.' - Aristotle

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Why is it that when people come to simply and politely seek some help in these forums that they are quite commonly belittled by sarcastic responses or intolerant dismissiveness? Awfki's post #3 sets out exactly how help could have been first given (and I would add that if there was an answer in a manual, another thread or document then a link to that be given without innuendo), but the response they got was just another churlish dismissal.

I take part in a couple of forums whose crews can be far, far more outspoken, rude and plain four letter word abusive (often befuddled by rum ) in general forum discussion than any posters in these ones, but if someone comes seeking help it is generously and politely given without allusive remarks concerning assumptions made about the person's own attempts to find the answer (In fact the OP made it clear that they had actually made some attempt) or any other thing.

Why have I decided to scratch this sore just now? First the subject change was a loaded gun, it was going to catch some out. Second, I saw the change in the release notes and I thought to myself "If I had not been involved in the thread discussing the change I would not twig to what this is about and would ignore it" - I would have read it as controlling existing behavior not an alert to changing the behavior and so glossed over it. So someone asking for help about it was quite understandable to me.

Furthermore, despite my having been close to technologies all my life I often find it difficult to locate things in the manual and if found are frequently not clear to me either. That is in no way a criticism because I realize the resource constraints that exist and have only admiration for the extent to which the application has been developed and is supported within those constraints. Of course, my difficulties may be just because I am thick, but that is an argument I am not going to pursue or place any merit on . Also, in my opinion, the search function in these forums leaves quite a lot to be desired compared to many others in terms of competence.

I try to assume that those seeking help have done their own homework to the extent that their experience and knowledge allows, but may have found the same difficulties I sometimes do but not said so. Really, whether they have or not does not matter, unless they make it clear in subsequent posts that they really are just downright lazy (and the OP was not of that type).

Now I am no saint, I am happy to throw darts in general discussion but I do try when offering help to just, in the first instance, provide the help and not superimpose within that allusions of incompetence, sarcasm, etc; but of course we can all sometimes come across in a manner we did not intend. In fact I rarely offer help regarding Calibre in these forums anymore (which may or may not be a loss to anyone ) and I think in writing this post I have clarified to myself why.

So maybe this piece has just been self serving to myself, it is a quiet Sunday here (Gee, I feel better now ); maybe I am wrong in what I perceive, but I would be interested in the views of others.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 12-02-2017 at 05:00 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
. . . I would be interested in the views of others.
I wonder if the OPs perception that Enter would open a cell for edit in pre 3.13 calibre is in fact correct.

Quote:
I have a pristine copy of calibre 3.7 portable at my fingertips, and I can't find a way to make Enter do that. Single mouse click will do it, providing doubleclick_on_library_view is set to open_viewer.

Re belittlement: see my comment on that issue in the Plugin Ideas thread.

Aside: remember the taskbar icons issue?

For a while, when I ran calibre portable it would 'use' my pinned icon (to 64bit calibre.exe) which I didn't like. But recently I've noticed that it's reverted to putting a separate icon at the end of the taskbar, leaving the pinned icon in an inactive state, which was always my preferred behaviour.

In my reality, installed and portable calibre are not the same application by a long chalk. So what changed - calibre of course, couple of Windows update cycles and my Taskbar tweaker gadget.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-02-2017 at 09:51 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know you could never use Enter to edit fields, on most OSes. It may be that the OP is on OS X which is the one OS I did not test. (my sole mac computer is really slow, so I tend to avoid it like the plague).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I wonder if the OPs perception that Enter would open a cell for edit in pre 3.13 calibre is in fact correct...
I don't recall it being so but I am not familiar with all of Calibre or its behavior in operating systems other than Windows, especially with respect to keyboard shortcuts (cats like mice ), and there may be somewhere where it does.

However, I suspect what has possibly happened is that the OP hit ENTER on a highlighted book in the list and ended up unexpectedly in the viewer - recognized that as a new behavior and just assumed that ENTER had previously done something else such as opening fields for editing.

For example, that is an assumption that an experienced database user, including myself, might easily make. In fact, before the proposal of the change came up, I did not really recall what ENTER did when a book is selected (as I am a mouser) - if someone had asked me I would likely have said, erroneously, that it would open something or another for editing and would have got a surprise if I found it actually opened the highlighted book in another program altogether for reading (and I remain surprised ).

Hopefully Awfki will help in that by explaining, but if I were them I think I would be reticent to bother to do so, that just for the sake of maintaining good order. It would seem that from post #3 the solution modifying the new Tweak has sorted things; if that is so that is all that really matters.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 12-02-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Added "or its behavior in operating systems other than Windows" spurred to do so by Kovids post while I was writing.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #10
AnotherCat

Kovid:

I had thought that the new Tweak would not change the behavior on existing installations, at least, and indeed it did not change on mine.

If so, and assuming it is the new Tweak behavior that is being referred to by the OP, I did wonder how it could have come about that the original poster's may have changed when it seems they upgraded an existing installation.

Awfki:

Can you elaborate? Some of us are more interested in learning what may have gone on, rather than criticizing.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 12-02-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #11
ScottAA
ScottAA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ScottAA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ScottAA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ScottAA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
I can confirm that on OSX the enter key edited the cell before this change, and does nothing at all after the change.

From Kovid's comment above, I'm guessing when this change was implemented it wasn't known that it did in fact change the default Calibre behavior on OSX. Understandable and easily fixed for those of us who liked/depended on the old behavior.

The following steps worked for me:

Go to Preferences/Advanced/Tweaks
Search for Tweak enter_key_behavior to get "Control behavior of the book list"
In the "Edit Tweak" box, change enter_key_behavior from 'do_nothing' to 'edit_cell'.

There may be an easier way but like I said it worked for me.

As someone who was going quietly about their business using Calibre and suddenly found it behaving differently, I can confirm that the above steps would have been much more helpful than snarky comments about release notes or references to four page long forum threads debating the best behavior.
ScottAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
Awfki

Sorry, I didn't get any notice that the thread was getting updates till the post by ScottAA.

I've been using Calibre on Mac since 2010 and have always hit Enter to edit cells. It's possible that I did something to enable that but if so it was far enough back that I don't remember it.

After the update it stopped and I Googled and read the release notes but didn't find anything and missed the mention of the enter key. I came here and asked and got the RTFM response which really hit me wrong that day.

Seeing the entry in the release notes was helpful except for the word "tweak". I initially took "tweak" to mean "a small change" and was further irritated by the vagueness of that. And then annoyed again when I got into that dialog and recognized it. At any rate, Google set me straight pretty quickly.

It was a minor thing but asking a question and getting answers intended to prove the superiority of the responder rather than actual help was really irritating. Maybe they were having a bad day but I don't understand why they'd bother to respond if they didn't want to help.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't get any notice that the thread was getting updates till the post by ScottAA.

I've been using Calibre on Mac since 2010 and have always hit Enter to edit cells. It's possible that I did something to enable that but if so it was far enough back that I don't remember it.

After the update it stopped and I Googled and read the release notes but didn't find anything and missed the mention of the enter key. I came here and asked and got the RTFM response which really hit me wrong that day.

Seeing the entry in the release notes was helpful except for the word "tweak". I initially took "tweak" to mean "a small change" and was further irritated by the vagueness of that. And then annoyed again when I got into that dialog and recognized it. At any rate, Google set me straight pretty quickly.

It was a minor thing but asking a question and getting answers intended to prove the superiority of the responder rather than actual help was really irritating. Maybe they were having a bad day but I don't understand why they'd bother to respond if they didn't want to help.
Tweaks is a portion of the Preferences window . It is down near the bottom .
One of the first things I do with New Anything, is familiarize myself with (and where) the available controls. I pull down Menus to see what is there. ALWAYS escape, until you know EXACTLY what a change does. (One of the first mistakes I made with Calibre, was remove the Location Manager , thinking it was a snoop. What I did, was disabled access to my DEVICE . Backup the Preferences folder, before you try things.

(OK, I am a snoop. I also look under the skirts, into program files, peek into the DB...).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
Awfki

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Tweaks is a portion of the Preferences window . It is down near the bottom .
<snipped>
(OK, I am a snoop. I also look under the skirts, into program files, peek into the DB...).
LOL. Yeah I'm probably not going to check into the DB but going through preferences, options, etc is one of the first things I always do with new software.

In this case I'd been through Tweaks before but not recently so when I read it in the release notes I thought "a minor change" and not "a section in preferences".