Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
karic
karic began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-reader / Kindle bought in Canada to be used in UK and to read books from amazon.fr

Is it possible to buy a Kindle reader in Canada, then use it in the UK and buy books from amazon.fr (I am a French Canadian living in the UK.) I have a friend living in France who would be able to buy me Kindle books on amazon france, if it's possible to send ebooks to other people. I would also like to be able to read UK books on the Kindle.

If it's not possible, do you know another Ebook reader that would allow me to do what I explained above?
karic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't believe it matters where you buy ereader, but the ebooks might be problem. I recently got an ebook gift, but amazon wouldn't let me download it complaining it wasn't the same edition. I had to exchange ebook for gift card, and then it turned out that taxes aren't the same and I need to pay more.
Did you check if books on French are available on amazon.co.uk?
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
You can change your address to change stores. See here

The origin of the device itself shouldn't be an issue.

Alternatively, you can get ebooks from stores that don't have DRM, then convert them to mobi with calibre (they are usually in epub format) which can then be read on any kindle model.

If you use a non-kindle model, the issue is that you will still be limited to reading the books on the official kindle app, which will either be unavailable without some rooting (that's the case for kobo I believe), or not optimized to your device (most android readers; for instance the page buttons might not function).

There are calibre plugins to avoid all of that BS but it's in all likelihood not permitted to discuss it in this in this forum.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I am curious why you would want to buy a reader from one country, books from a second, and read them in a third country? This seems awfully complicated.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I am curious why you would want to buy a reader from one country, books from a second, and read them in a third country? This seems awfully complicated.
If you you move between countries at a higher frequency than usual and/or you use multiple languages regularly really niche problems like these often crop up. Maybe OP can get a good price on the device from Canada, and wants to read both French novels and still have access to the UK stuff as well.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote