Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #2596
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Thanks knc1 for the replacement kfxmeta.py file. The SS hack is the main reason for my jailbreak. So happy to keep it functioning properly.
On the index page which got you to this thread, click the "Views" column header to sort the threads by number of views.

Both you and a half million other people.
Although I suspect not all of them have installed that single file update.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:35 AM   #2597
guerrilla
Connoisseur
guerrilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I need to uninstall the hack because it seems to freeze my kindle on usb unmount/recharge if used with the koreader book cover screensaver.
I've got v0.21.N. I should use the uninstall bin inside the zip file, right? Will the original screensaver images (located in the backups folder) be automatically restored?
Thanks.

EDIT: I see that there's also an entry named "Flag for complete uninstall" in the KUAL menu, will it do the job?

Last edited by guerrilla; 10-03-2017 at 04:47 AM.
guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #2598
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrilla View Post
I need to uninstall the hack because it seems to freeze my kindle on usb unmount/recharge if used with the koreader book cover screensaver.
I've got v0.21.N. I should use the uninstall bin inside the zip file, right? Will the original screensaver images (located in the backups folder) be automatically restored?
Thanks.

EDIT: I see that there's also an entry named "Flag for complete uninstall" in the KUAL menu, will it do the job?
This has been out for five years, with over a half million users and this it the only time something like this has been reported.
I don't think the one has anything to do with the other.

Yes.

Will it do what job?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #2599
guerrilla
Connoisseur
guerrilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
This has been out for five years, with over a half million users and this it the only time something like this has been reported.
I don't think the one has anything to do with the other.
(Relatively) recently koreader introduced a feature that shows your current book cover as a screensaver. But when I unplug the usb cable (after a recharge or an usb mount) the screen freezes on the book cover and I have to reboot the device. I reported the issue on koreader's github page but it seems that I am the only one affected by this bug so I suspect screensaver hack is involved (possibly the "show last screen" option).
So I guess I have to uninstall the hack and see if things work that way.

Quote:
Will it do what job?
I mean uninstalling the hack and restore the original screensaver images. I'm not sure if using the kual entry is the same thing as using the uninstall bin file.
guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #2600
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrilla View Post
- - - - -
I'm not sure if using the kual entry is the same thing as using the uninstall bin file.
It is not the same, it is a supplement to the uninstall.bin.

Without it, the configuration file(s), screensaver images and in general anything the user has provided will be retained.
I.E: Makes it easier to re-install at some future date.

With it, all added files are removed.
IIRC: That will include the Python installation. Something to keep in mind if using Python for some other purpose, such as LibrarianSync.

- - - - -

The restoration of the original (saved) screensaver images (and other files) is not altered - that operation remains the same.

= = = = =

Have you dumped the system messages and tried reading through them to see what is actually happening?
It is the
;dm
searchbar command (the semi-colon is part of the command).

Last edited by knc1; 10-03-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #2601
Lepricon
Nameless Being

Be careful.
Screensavers hack causes bootloop on 5.8.11 firmware. It stuck on randomizing screensavers.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #2602
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepricon View Post
Be careful.
Screensavers hack causes bootloop on 5.8.11 firmware. It stuck on randomizing screensavers.
Have you checked the other modes?
With what results?

Please include the firmware build id (it is in parans following the version shown in the Device Info panel) and device model nickname.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #2603
Lepricon
Nameless Being

I think I just killed my voyage
I did DO_FACTORY_RESTORE with file.
But it is the same boot loop.
And now I cannot put file to kindle because there's no USB drive.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #2604
Lepricon
Nameless Being

And consequently that was not the screensavers hack.
It was margin hack with jar.
I was stupid. Used 5.8.10 fixed jar file...

Is there anything I can do?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #2605
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
And consequently that was not the screensavers hack.
It was margin hack with jar.
I was stupid. Used 5.8.10 fixed jar file...

Is there anything I can do?
Sure, fix the 5.8.11 jar file.
Use Rescue Pack with the Coward's Rescue Pack add-on (if you have them installed, it is too late now if you don't) to boot the 'diags' system.
or
We have some very good threads on installing the serial port.

How did you "use the 5.8.10" jar file? -
The Amazon update should have overwritten it when you installed the update.
Do you mean you intentionally wrote the 5.8.10 jar file to the system AFTER you did the update to 5.8.11?

Last edited by knc1; 10-12-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #2606
Lepricon
Nameless Being

Quote:
Sure, fix the 5.8.11 jar file.
Use Rescue Pack with the Coward's Rescue Pack add-on (if you have them installed, it is too late now if you don't) to boot the 'diags' system.
or
We have some very good threads on installing the serial port.

How did you "use the 5.8.10" jar file? -
The Amazon update should have overwritten it when you installed the update.
Do you mean you intentionally wrote the 5.8.10 jar file to the system AFTER you did the update to 5.8.11?

Yup... I did a very stupid thing. I know.
I think it's time to order new oasis

And try serial port with the voyage.

Will it work if it stuck on bootloop? I need to get to FS and copy jar file with those 5-10 seconds while it is trying to boot?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #2607
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yup... I did a very stupid thing. I know.
I think it's time to order new oasis

And try serial port with the voyage.

Will it work if it stuck on bootloop? I need to get to FS and copy jar file with those 5-10 seconds while it is trying to boot?
Probably the easiest way would be to boot to the alternate OS ('diags') and then use that system to re-install either 5.8.10 or 5.8.11
I don't think you have time to write the old jar file in the few seconds the normal OS gives you.
So the only way (if you don't have Rescue Pack with the Cowards Rescue Pack extension) is to use the serial port.

The "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" does not modify the system image files, so it will not "fix" the damaged system image.

The "hotfix" code (that is, the "bridge code" part of it) has a way to boot an "emergency script" during normal start up.
I am not sure if that will help in this situation.
I do not recall anyone providing example scripts.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #2608
Lepricon
Nameless Being

Quote:
Probably the easiest way would be to boot to the alternate OS ('diags') and then use that system to re-install either 5.8.10 or 5.8.11
I don't think you have time to write the old jar file in the few seconds the normal OS gives you.
So the only way (if you don't have Rescue Pack with the Cowards Rescue Pack extension) is to use the serial port.

The "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" does not modify the system image files, so it will not "fix" the damaged system image.

The "hotfix" code (that is, the "bridge code" part of it) has a way to boot an "emergency script" during normal start up.
I am not sure if that will help in this situation.
I do not recall anyone providing example scripts.

Thank you. Will try serial port. I don't have RP and CRP on my kindle.

Didn't know that do_factory_restore doesn't modify system image files. Know that now
Old 10-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #2609
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thank you. Will try serial port. I don't have RP and CRP on my kindle.

Didn't know that do_factory_restore doesn't modify system image files. Know that now
If you have a Kindle that still works, you can look at the bridge code scripting (there is a copy in user storage).

If not, you can "open" the "hotfix' package with KindleTool and read the bridge code there.

IIRC, NiLuJe has the "emergency script" feature fairly well described in the comments of the bridge code.

But as I already mentioned -
I don't recall anyone posting examples of how to use it.
I think the easiest (and smallest) "emergency script" would be one that reboots the device into "Diags" system (two commands as I recall).
That should be small enough that you could push it onto the Kindle during that few seconds that user storage is available during boot-up.
The actual two commands would have to come from the Rescue Pack scripting (I don't recall what they are).

(I am lucky when I can remember 10% of what has been posted on this forum.)
Old 10-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #2610
Lepricon
Nameless Being

Quote:
If you have a Kindle that still works, you can look at the bridge code scripting (there is a copy in user storage).

If not, you can "open" the "hotfix' package with KindleTool and read the bridge code there.

IIRC, NiLuJe has the "emergency script" feature fairly well described in the comments of the bridge code.

But as I already mentioned -
I don't recall anyone posting examples of how to use it.
I think the easiest (and smallest) "emergency script" would be one that reboots the device into "Diags" system (two commands as I recall).
That should be small enough that you could push it onto the Kindle during that few seconds that user storage is available during boot-up.
The actual two commands would have to come from the Rescue Pack scripting (I don't recall what they are).

(I am lucky when I can remember 10% of what has been posted on this forum.)

Unfortunately user storage is not available... I can see the disk but it is unmounted.
I think after I did DO_FACTORY_RESTORE that happened.

But thank you for help. I think serial is the only way now. I found your recent post. Will try it.

Last edited by Lepricon; 10-12-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch