Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Contraction Use

Have you ever seen an author put 'll instead of using will? It just seems odd to me.

Examples:
"Yeah, these old places'll do that. Gotta love 'em."

The vendor'll haul the old tank out and drop the new one in.

Coffee'll be done in a minute."

The detective'll keep busy interviewing them all."
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
It is called "vernacular ."
If you wish to portray a segment of the population accurately then you must make your dialogue match their speech patterns.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I've seen it and will accept it in limited cases where it is one character speaking in dialect. If that occurs in text, as opposed to dialog, I would have issues with it. And if it occurs very often I would have a problem. Dialect is ok when used in moderation but gets old quickly.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #4
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Book is set in Massachusetts. It must be the dialogue for the north. I know it is not something we use in my area Kentucky-Tennessee state line.

Thanks. Just seems weird and it throws me off when I come across it.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Book is set in Massachusetts. It must be the dialogue for the north. I know it is not something we use in my area Kentucky-Tennessee state line.

Thanks. Just seems weird and it throws me off when I come across it.
I have heard it but Y'all is you all. You'll do this does sound correct.
Though I agree, dialogue would be ok. But it would start to look lazy and places' ll just looks totally wrong. I'll, he'll, she'll would be ok.
Ah only with pronouns is actually correct.
With nouns awkward and wrong.
Any other noticeable errors and can I venture a guess, self-published.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
With certain short words it is very common and natural, for example I'll, he'll, she'll, we'll.

The examples you give: place'll, coffee'll, vendor'll, detective'll all sound quite unnatural to me though.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like the person that didn't know his fathers' house's for the tree's.
Note there are 3 errors in that sentence.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:57 PM   #8
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I have heard it but Y'all is you all. You'll do this does sound correct.
Though I agree, dialogue would be ok. But it would start to look lazy and places' ll just looks totally wrong. I'll, he'll, she'll would be ok.
Ah only with pronouns is actually correct.
With nouns awkward and wrong.
Any other noticeable errors and can I venture a guess, self-published.
I can handle the she'll, he'll, you'll things like that but it is the prove'll and other things that mess me up.

No it was published by Berkley in 2008.

Author's bio states she lives in southeastern Massachusetts. So maybe it is common speech in that area. I don't know but I am wondering if I will make it through the other 9 books in this series.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I can handle the she'll, he'll, you'll things like that but it is the prove'll and other things that mess me up.

No it was published by Berkley in 2008.

Author's bio states she lives in southeastern Massachusetts. So maybe it is common speech in that area. I don't know but I am wondering if I will make it through the other 9 books in this series.
Is the story worth the torture?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #10
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Is the story worth the torture?
It is a cozy mystery. For me the story is interesting and I like it. I started it this afternoon and on Chapter 14 out of 32. I will finish it and probably the whole series. If I don't then I will sit and wonder if I would have loved or hated the series.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
It is a cozy mystery. For me the story is interesting and I like it. I started it this afternoon and on Chapter 14 out of 32. I will finish it and probably the whole series. If I don't then I will sit and wonder if I would have loved or hated the series.
Rather like Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich. If she had said NASCAR GUY one more time I would have given up. It was always name NASCAR GUY.
Got old in a hurry.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #12
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Rather like Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich. If she had said NASCAR GUY one more time I would have given up. It was always name NASCAR GUY.
Got old in a hurry.
I have not read that one but I am not a big fan of Janet Evanovich.

This is One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly. Book has gotten better and I have not seen the prove'll or anything similar again. Except with he'll or she'll. What I look at as normal.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:11 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Have you ever seen an author put 'll instead of using will? It just seems odd to me.

Examples:
"Yeah, these old places'll do that. Gotta love 'em."

The vendor'll haul the old tank out and drop the new one in.

Coffee'll be done in a minute."

The detective'll keep busy interviewing them all."

So long as these were in dialogue, they wouldn't bother me at all. These constructions all sound normal to me. I couldn't say whether I've seen them before in books, because they wouldn't have registered with me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 AM   #14
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Can't say as I read it much but I hear it a lot. "The coffee'll be done in a bit." The house'll be down next week." etc. I'm from the Northwest (Portland Or.) and hear that contraction quite often.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:56 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Seems pretty normal to me for dialogue. My pet hate is people who write "of" instead of the contraction "ve". E.g., "I should of done it", rather than "I should've done it". That's just plain ignorant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote