Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-23-2016, 04:33 AM   #181
jose_amp95
jose_amp95 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Unhappy Problems with Kobo Glo HD

Hi, I'm new in this forum. Yesterday, I got my new Kobo Glo HD, firmware 3.19.5761. I tried installing this mod, but it doesn't work... I followed the procedure (copy koboroot file to .kobo folder and plug off from PC). My ereader restarted, and after that, I had the addons folder, but... It doesn't work. It just shows Standby mode text. I also tried modifying screensaver file, enabling debug and changing parameters with the ones who an user posted for kobo glo HD in order to get scanline mode working properly. That didn't work for me neither. What could be my problem? Maybe something related with firmware version? Thanks in advance.
jose_amp95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #182
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
After you changed from logread to scanline did you reboot your Glo HD?

The method should have been

1) plug in kobo
2) drag koboroot.tgz to .kobo folder in the root of the kobo drive
3) eject kobo, wait for it to reboot
4) plug it in, change logread to scanline, add/remove images as you see fit
5) eject and reboot kobo
6) see if kobo uses the image, if it's using the book cover image disable that in settings>sleep
7) if the kobo settings are correct, then plug it in and enable debug mode. Follow the instructions posted earlier about this.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #183
jose_amp95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
After you changed from logread to scanline did you reboot your Glo HD?

The method should have been

1) plug in kobo
2) drag koboroot.tgz to .kobo folder in the root of the kobo drive
3) eject kobo, wait for it to reboot
4) plug it in, change logread to scanline, add/remove images as you see fit
5) eject and reboot kobo
6) see if kobo uses the image, if it's using the book cover image disable that in settings>sleep
7) if the kobo settings are correct, then plug it in and enable debug mode. Follow the instructions posted earlier about this.
Ok, those are good instructions to follow. Which program should I use to edit the file? I read somewhere notepad++, unix newlines, UTF-8 BOM.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #184
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
notepad++ or any other programmers editor is fine (charset ASCII, Unix Newlines)

Microsoft Notepad/Wordpad might damage the file.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #185
jose_amp95

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
notepad++ or any other programmers editor is fine (charset ASCII, Unix Newlines)

Microsoft Notepad/Wordpad might damage the file.
Thanks, I will try when I have the time and report my results
Old 04-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #186
Jorg3
Jorg3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Papyre 613
jose_amp95: Other things to look for if you're still not able to get it working, are:

1. Make sure you're using the correct parameters for the language that your Kobo is set at. For example, the following parameters are for English (Kobo Glo HD):

offset=145
standby=0080aa5961da66a80050e705d3782e65
poweroff=434583f85d17b2480ddc32087676baf7

If your Kobo is in a different language, the above parameters will be different.

2. Also, in order for the above parameters to work, make sure that the file "affiliate.conf" reads:

affiliate=kobo

This is something I had to change because I got my Kobo at a large bookstore chain here in Mexico and they have the Kobos they sell setup so that their logo and company name appear on the screen when the device is in sleep or off mode, instead of having the usual "sleeping" and "powered off" lines at the bottom of the screen. So the affiliate parameter mentioned above was something different.

Hope this helps.
Jorg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #187
Albuca
eReader
Albuca began at the beginning.

I don't know if this is just me, but it appears that my Kobo can see the images in the .addons/screensaver folder and are now showing them in my library.
This is more annoying than anything else, but dose anyone know how to make them disappear from the library?

Cheers!
Albuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #188
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're the first to report this problem... Did you copy them into another folder by accident?

Does your addons folder actually start with a dot character .?

The stock firmware should ignore files in .hidden folders...
Old 07-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #189
Albuca
eReader
Albuca began at the beginning.

Well thats awkward... there was a copy in the main folder, as well as in the .addons

... whoops! :P
Albuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #190
frostschutz
Linux User

Stranger things have happened, as long as the mod works for you, that's great.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:08 AM   #191
Kobo_Mao
Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Kobo_Mao knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo
Please.
Can i have the values for Kobo, FW 3.19.5761, Italian language?
(Sorry for my bad English).
offset=
standby=
poweroff=

Last edited by Kobo_Mao; 07-22-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Kobo_Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:43 AM   #192
frostschutz
Linux User

This mod no longer works with 4.x firmware (september 2016 and newer). I'll have to find a new place to hook into.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #193
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
----
The mod no longer works with 4.x firmware (Kobo Aura One - September 2016).

I attached an experimental version for 4.x firmware to the first post. I do not have an Kobo Aura One so I can not test it myself. It works on my H2O running 4.x firmware.

This version uses a new method (inotify affiliate.conf) to detect standby/poweroff. It no longer supports previous logread/scanline modes so there is nothing to configure anymore (except when you want to uninstall the mod).

The inotify might also work for older firmwares - I have not tested.

Please note for the 4.x version the images moved into subfolders .addons/screensaver/standby/ and .addons/screensaver/poweroff/
Old 09-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #194
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Tested on my Kobo Aura One running 4.x firmware. Works well, only 'hitch' I may have found is switching images may require a reboot of the device. Not game breaking really.

As should be expected you must resize images for the resolution of the Kobo One, otherwise it draws them from the top left corner. Transparency seems to work if you want to display 'sleeping', I say seems to as it displayed when I used an image that was smaller than the Ones resolution, but was hidden when I resized the image.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #195
frostschutz
Linux User

I haven't tested transparency in a long time, none of my images actually are transparent. It does not do semitransparency so you should make sure the transparent areas are 100% transparent and not gradients...

Reboot should not be required for changing the images. If the mod stops working after an USB connection, something else went wrong.

The mod actually stops when you connect USB (when the data partition is unmounted) since it loses its inotify target... it's restarted when USB connection ends, using a udev rule.

If you can confirm that the mod stops working altogether after an USB connection (until you reboot), then I have to check if Kobo Aura One might need a different udev rule there. This would probably also mean my AutoShelf mod won't work for the Kobo Aura One since it's using the same rule.

Edit: Also, if you test standby immediately after disconnecting USB, it might not display an image since the mod waits a few seconds for things to settle down.

Edit2: Looking at Kobo's udev rules, I guess it might be the usb_host offline rule that is also required for some models. I think someone reported AutoShelf not working some time ago but I didn't make the connection back then... hard to test for things that don't seem to apply to my H2O.

Edit3: Not sure about the udev rule theory after all. Also I noticed it sometimes "misfires", it displayed a poweroff image when connecting to USB. I guess I'll have to bring back scanline as an additional condition after all... simply checking several lines for being white and/or black is not reliable enough.

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-06-2016 at 04:29 PM.