Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #31
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
... The thing is the Calibre conversion seems random for mobi both sent to the Amazon cloud. I sometimes get an old mobi downloaded on my Voyage ...
I had the same experience. Also WhisperSync problems. All my problems went away when I switched to KindleGen to do all my conversions.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #32
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I wish there was a way to use Kindlegen as a plugin with Calibre. It would be easier
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #33
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I wish there was a way to use Kindlegen as a plugin with Calibre. It would be easier
Shameless plug: There is a Sigil plugin.

BTW, jhowell's KFX output plugin uses KindlePreviewer/KindleGen; he might be able to also create a KindleGen MOBI output plugin.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #34
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for sharing your plugin.
And yes it would be great to have a plugin on Calibre to do the conversion on the fly with Kindlegen before sending it to the Amazon cloud email
Old 02-15-2019, 12:40 AM   #35
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you don't want to mess with KindleGen, you can have Amazon convert epubs for you with this trick:

1) Make a copy of your epub file and change the extension to .txt

2) Send the .txt file to your Kindle using the Send-to-Kindle app or by emailing it to your Kindle. (I prefer the Send-to-Kindle app as it will allow you to type in the title and author. If you email the file, the title will be the filename.)

3) Amazon will run the txt file through KindleGen for you and deliver a KF8 to your Kindle. Ta da!

Last edited by odamizu; 02-15-2019 at 02:58 AM. Reason: clarity
Advert
Old 02-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #36
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
"Send to Kindle" (STK) option in Android share menu (that is created / added by Kindle Android app) will not appear for .txt files but it will be available if you rename your epub to .png.

.png ( = epub masquerading as png file) works for both desktop STK app and Android share menu option.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #37
Almamida
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
If you don't want to mess with KindleGen, you can have Amazon convert epubs for you with this trick:

1) Make a copy of your epub file and change the extension to .txt

2) Send the .txt file to your Kindle using the Send-to-Kindle app or by emailing it to your Kindle. (I prefer the Send-to-Kindle app as it will allow you to type in the title and author. If you email the file, the title will be the filename.)

3) Amazon will run the txt file through KindleGen for you and deliver a KF8 to your Kindle. Ta da!
Thank you, I'll try that. Would be good to find a way to tweak the calibre "send to email" function to handle the change of extension
Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #38
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
"Send to Kindle" (STK) option in Android share menu (that is created / added by Kindle Android app) will not appear for .txt files but it will be available if you rename your epub to .png.

.png ( = epub masquerading as png file) works for both desktop STK app and Android share menu option.
That's interesting.

.txt files work in iOS (and macOS). Wonder why it doesn't in Android.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 AM   #39
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I doubt that kindlegen will be receiving further updates. They might release a 64-bit build of the current version for Mac since that is already present in the Kindle Previewer.
I figured out today that one can easily extract the 64-bit version of kindlegen 2.9 present in Kindle Previewer 3 for Mac with a right-click to Show Package Contents for Kindle Previewer > Contents > MacOS > lib > fc > bin > kindlegen !! Copy it to a new location, and Catalina users have a path forward with the standalone kindlegen

Last edited by odamizu; 07-15-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Thank you, I'll try that. Would be good to find a way to tweak the calibre "send to email" function to handle the change of extension
I'm sorry, what's the issue with just dropping your ePUB or what-have-you on KP3? Why all this workaround, just so you can email the file? It seems more brain-damage than it's worth.

Wouldn't it be simpler to drop the source file onto KP3 and then simply click on the output MOBI and use the "Send to Kindle" functionality, if that's important to you? Why tied at the hip to Calibre?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #41
Momo19
Momo19 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I figured out today that one can easily extract the 64-bit version of kindlegen 2.9 present in Kindle Previewer 3 for Mac with a right-click to Show Package Contents for Kindle Previewer > Contents > MacOS > lib > fc > bin > kindlegen !! Copy it to a new location, and Catalina users have a path forward with the standalone kindlegen
That's brilliant! I just updated to Catalina on my MacBook Pro and 32-bit Kindlegen no longer runs. But your awesome hack works for me!
Momo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #42
odamizu
just an egg

Old 02-15-2020, 01:59 AM   #43
Dabcar
Dabcar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, iPad
Hi,

I get the following notification when trying to use the app:

“KindleGen Wrapper 2.2.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin." The notification says something about applescripts can sometimes be damaged after signing, which doesn't mean anything to me!

Does this work with Catalina?

I was hoping this would solve other problems I'm having trying to use Kindlegen with Terminal.
Dabcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:42 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabcar View Post
Hi,

“KindleGen Wrapper 2.2.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin." The notification says something about applescripts can sometimes be damaged after signing, which doesn't mean anything to me!

I was hoping this would solve other problems I'm having trying to use Kindlegen with Terminal.
You could try opening and re-saving with the version of Script Editor that's on your computer. Apple's operating systems have become much more reluctant to just run software from unknown sources.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #45
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabcar View Post
Hi,

Yes, it will work in Catalina if you first open it in Script Editor, then duplicate or export it as Application. The duplicated/exported app will work in Catalina.