Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
JIGACE
JIGACE began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
calibre and the "send to kindle" explorer button

Hi, i don't know if this is the right place to ask about this, but i was wondering, Its possible to integrate the "send to calibre" menu (the one that its installed downloading the amazon software) into calibre? Because right now what i do its search the book in calibre, then open the folder and there right click and send to kindle.
Or is a better way to do that and i don't know it ?
Please, save some time to this Technologically illiterate guy!
JIGACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, in calibre go to Preferences ==> Sharing ==> Sharing books by email.

Add your send-to-kindle email address (if you don't know it, it is listed at http://amzn.com/myk) to the list on top, then configure your own email address on the bottom.

calibre will email the books using your email address as a relay (make sure you have allowed it in MYK) and you can send books using the dropdown from the Connect/Share toolbar icon.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
JIGACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes, in calibre go to Preferences ==> Sharing ==> Sharing books by email.

Add your send-to-kindle email address (if you don't know it, it is listed at http://amzn.com/myk) to the list on top, then configure your own email address on the bottom.

calibre will email the books using your email address as a relay (make sure you have allowed it in MYK) and you can send books using the drop-down from the Connect/Share toolbar icon.
Thanks for the response. I figure that out but i have tried and I think I probably making something wrong because either i receive an amazon error (the format its incorrect) or nothing but the book doesn't appear in the kindle, I've tried mobi, new mobi, azw, prc. On the other hand, when I open the route and send the book manually (either by mail or the send to kindle add-on on explorer the book its delivered perfectly.

That's why I was asking for a way to "call" the send to kindle method from within calibre to do that.
Any suggestions?
Old 02-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is no difference between using calibre to construct the email and doing it yourself via the webmail interface.

Is it possible you have not configured Sharing over the net correctly?
There is a "Test email" button which can help you make sure calibre can validate with Gmail/other and send messages. Check the log it gives you, and post it here if you need help deciphering it (minus redacted login info).
Old 02-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
JIGACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
There is no difference between using calibre to construct the email and doing it yourself via the webmail interface.

Is it possible you have not configured Sharing over the net correctly?
There is a "Test email" button which can help you make sure calibre can validate with Gmail/other and send messages. Check the log it gives you, and post it here if you need help deciphering it (minus redacted login info).
The mail is working fine. I tested it. And also i send books to different mails and they arrive fine. Its something with the amazon interface? I dont know
Advert
Old 02-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, all calibre does is send a standard email containing the book, using your email address.

I assume the email address you entered in calibre is added to the list of emails that is authorized to send stuff to your Kindle account, since you say you can send emails directly via that same email address and it works...

What you are describing would seem to be impossible.

Can I assume the calibre job log shows success, and that the email appears in the webmail interface as sent?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
JIGACE

Well, i just checked again, everything seems fine but the fact is, almost none of the books I send don't make it. I guess I just have to synchronize the books by connecting physically the kindle. I just was trying to make things easy, you know, when I see a book I think is good and I don't have the kindle at hand. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, I can try to help you fix it, but I would need you to tell me what things look like when they "don't make it".

Does the calibre log report success?
Can you see the email in Sent Mail?
Did Amazon email some sort of error message to you?

What formats have you sent? Are they on the Amazon-approved list? (e.g. MOBI yes, AZW3 no)

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-09-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
JIGACE

Yes to all. The error amazon send is about the format the document is, I send the ebook in mobi format which is one of the "accepted formats" and the mail is registered in amazon, yes.
Sorry for my redaction skills, i guess I'm a little rusty, it's not my first language.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Okay, awesome! Problem solved.

(And it is really quite stupid that Amazon invents this new AZW3 format and then neglects to upgrade their own services to make use of it. But that is what we have to live with...)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #11
JIGACE

I guess that's the real problem. Its supposed to accept mobi but only* if its send it by the proprietary amazon widget (send to amazon). I don´t really understand why if i send it via calibre the format its not recognized, the eBook its exactly the same file....
Anyway, thanks for the help!
Old 02-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I suspect their proprietary widget includes a converter. All Amazon sees is a suitably acceptable legacy MOBI. No EPUB, AZW3, Docwhatever, et cetera and so forth.

You should be able to configure the send-to-email addresses in calibre with a list of acceptable formats -- just specify MOBI as the only format, and calibre will automatically convert to MOBI if necessary, before sending to Amazon. Just like ereader profiles, which also specify which formats they accept.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
Kemstex
Kemstex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have reviewed this thread (as well as others) but am unable to resolve my own issue with trying to email to a Kindle (mine and others). Problem is it worked in the past and now no longer is.

I have the Preferences properly set up to send using Gmail and have the correct SMPT and authentication passwords entered. However, I get a "failed" message that Google is receiving an incorrect user/password combination. I tried going to the suggested reading in the error message but the solution is not there.

In a nutshell I cannot even communicate with my own Kindle via email. Here is the log from the "Test Email" option in Sharing:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 173, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 135, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 617, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (534, '5.7.14 <https://accounts.google.com/Continue...nsbsL-\n5.7.14 XlWNBPNxpJca1JyhMQj62glT4gDjLC8YwK0NtUXuxJEbrfjl9A GMeR2GQQrHcVBIX0B7LX\n5.7.14 BQsRzkJq1oGzKdh2NH2NGpaEyt0pVHlgKIluqPcFMD64ZmPGKd 7_mIOjMXThDTq_xVmIGe\n5.7.14 R6NscDr_qB2VbPc7RjqnlKWFNM8_YNEApa0Y-nW7DLl8m7G2ssnMYR4B26Z-9Lf2_4wLiJ\n5.7.14 K04BDCiM4RSUkvL8yOERltkuvbGk> Please log in via your web browser and\n5.7.14 then try again.\n5.7.14 Learn more at\n5.7.14 https://support.google.com/mail/bin/...y?answer=78754 h7sm6974112ioi.5 - gsmtp')

Logging into Google with the user identity and password works fine. Any ideas?

Kem
Kemstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255707
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244280
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245363
Old 03-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #15
JayArras
JayArras began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 7
Anyone know why the "Send to Kindle" browser extensions don't seem to work any more?
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, plugin, send to