Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
EZ Reader Pro and compression formats

Hi,
Just posting my findings here, kind of like a thread for my own memory,but also for those seeking to play around with the EZ Reader Pro, or are just interested in the results.

I have an HTML file, and compress it with 7z.
The results are posted below of:
- Archive Format, Compression method, Dictionary size, Word Size.

The following settings work:
- Zip, (any), deflate, 32kB, (any)
- Zip, (any), deflate64, 64kB, (any)

With following settings the archive opens, but the HTML within the ZIP can't be opened:
- Zip, (any), bzip2, (any)
- Zip, (any), LZMA, (any), (any)
- Zip, (any), PPMd, (any), (any)

The following file formats are not supported:
- bzip2, tar, gz, wim, 7z, xz
Renaming them to zip does not work.

Compressing with Winrar gives the following results:
- Zip: Any .zip works; archive can be opened, HTML can be read.
- Rar: Any RAR archive opens, but HTML can not be extracted.
Renaming RAR files to zip does not work.

Hyperlinks and superscript (sup) are not supported within HTML documents.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why worry?

4G SDcard has 3900 (EPUB) books with covers: 50% capacity used

4G SD Cards are $9 at Fry's, cheaper online when you include in another order (postage will get you otherwise).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no one worries; these are just facts and findings of the Astak EzReader Pro's capabilities.
It's perhaps part of my search to find the 'perfect' format of compression for ebooks on this device.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
no one worries; these are just facts and findings of the Astak EzReader Pro's capabilities.
It's perhaps part of my search to find the 'perfect' format of compression for ebooks on this device.
Question... Why is it you are so worried about compressing your eBooks as small as possible?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Research!
To know as much as I can, to find solutions, to make the best epub I can make!
I hope there's nothing wrong with that?

I take pleasure in saving a few kB in my file, and have e-readers display pages 0.01ms faster than others :P

By nature I'm a technology freak, I kick on knowing the mechanics and technics behind everything. Now also ebooks. It's a deficiency in my character I suppose :-)

Last edited by ProDigit; 04-15-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
original firmware?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Lin 2.6.21.7
FW: V2.02ASTAK.09.12.01
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
This biggest problem I have with zip archives is that a bookmark won't work. It will not remember where you are inside the book inside the zip. So I use folders to do grouping instead but cbz would have been nice.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote