Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Barking and Other Grievous Offenses

I've always been leery of writers who describe someone who is talking as 'barking':

"Well, men," he barked. "Time to fill up the doggy bowl!"

------

I also am very leery about authors who have a character regurgitate an organ and then fail to have that character die or continue on without any kind of 'Yuck' factor. Can you say "911"? Or 'Colgate'?

He loved her so much that his heart was in his throat, which incidentally was the cause of his demise.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Read a book review recently by a reader who complained of the author using the word "ejaculate" to describe someone talking.

"Why did you burn the cake?" he ejaculated!
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Remember the game show host Bob Barker? Some family names came from what someone's job was and I'm guessing that a barker was someone who "barked" in front of a store, or a tent at a circus. I have a vague memory of someone at a circus being called a barker.

I've only seen ejaculate used in old books I've downloaded from Project Gutenberg. It did make me frown.

Last edited by lumpynose; 08-27-2019 at 03:14 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Read a book review recently by a reader who complained of the author using the word "ejaculate" to describe someone talking.

"Why did you burn the cake?" he ejaculated!
I think Doctor Watson did quite a bit of that when talking to Holmes in the original novels.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:23 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I think Doctor Watson did quite a bit of that when talking to Holmes in the original novels.
Whatever they chose to do in the privacy of their own apartment is between them and Mrs Hudson.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
To be honest using bark doesn't bother me at all and I've used it when anthropomorphizing the computer saying things like the compiler barked at me, or it complained.

I wonder if there's any correlation with not liking it and not being a dog person?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
To be honest using bark doesn't bother me at all and I've used it when anthropomorphizing the computer saying things like the compiler barked at me, or it complained.

I wonder if there's any correlation with not liking it and not being a dog person?

Uh-Oh! I guess I better sell "Señor Poops-A-Lot," my Pug.

(His real name is Fox.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote