Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #16
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Well, there is in the kobo so much wasted space ( if you don't patched them) and if there is between the lines so much space to, you have to change page every 10 seconds.
I read a book because of the letters in it, not for the space between them.
The only thing to do is to put an override in it with the extra .css like :
p
{
margin:0 !important;
text-align:left !important;
padding:0 !important;
text-indent:0 !important;
line-height:1.2em !important
}

But does it have to be named p or body or whatever.. I am not just so far that I know which setting will override, does it be named p,or body, or what... the !important overrides the default but how to implement it in an extra .css ???
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #17
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Well, there is in the kobo so much wasted space ( if you don't patched them) and if there is between the lines so much space to, you have to change page every 10 seconds.
I read a book because of the letters in it, not for the space between them.
The only thing to do is to put an override in it with the extra .css like :
p
{
margin:0 !important;
text-align:left !important;
padding:0 !important;
text-indent:0 !important;
line-height:1.2em !important
}

But does it have to be named p or body or whatever.. I am not just so far that I know which setting will override, does it be named p,or body, or what... the !important overrides the default but how to implement it in an extra .css ???
This is the setup that I use:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2014-04-06 10:21:55.png
Views:	126
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	121305
Use line-height:1.2; instead of line=height:1.2em:. Using *em will hard set the line height causing over lap when using bigger font sizes for titles and chapter tiles.
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I was already there, only didn't know to use p or body for the line-height, I don't like the justify so that was overrided and I insert the amasis font because that reads very fine.
Thanks for pointing me into the right direction, the other settings where already okay.
I gonna play with it, thanks.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
A couple of suggestions:

Firstly, if you're going to read an epub on a Kobo don't add !important to any of your CSS classes. The epub will display as if it has no css file at all - at least this is my experience.

Second, again regarding the Kobo. Rather than trying to hard-code a fixed line-height, wouldn't you get a better result by removing all the line-height settings completely and then using the Kobo's Line Spacing slider to set it to a level you like?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #20
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
A couple of suggestions:

Firstly, if you're going to read an epub on a Kobo don't add !important to any of your CSS classes. The epub will display as if it has no css file at all - at least this is my experience.

Second, again regarding the Kobo. Rather than trying to hard-code a fixed line-height, wouldn't you get a better result by removing all the line-height settings completely and then using the Kobo's Line Spacing slider to set it to a level you like?
Do you mean no CSS file at all or just the rule you place the important with.? Doesn't seem that way to me, as I have some important (line-height: 1.0 !important for example in my preferences and this does nothing at all AFAIK. Same old line heights and text sizes etc. after a conversion. ( I copied it from a post by DSNB I think and never bothered to remove it)

And wouldn't removing the all of the line heights be more or less the same as making all the line heights the same? Fine for me, but I have been advised against it by some.

Perhaps I am just not understanding what you are saying.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #21
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
It was actually Nick I meant to address, rather than yourself. Sorry I didn't make that clear However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Do you mean no CSS file at all or just the rule you place the important with.? Doesn't seem that way to me, as I have some important (line-height: 1.0 !important for example in my preferences and this does nothing at all AFAIK. Same old line heights and text sizes etc. after a conversion. ( I copied it from a post by DSNB I think and never bothered to remove it)
It was as if the whole css file was missing, not just a single style rule, namely:
- all text left-aligned (incl headings which should have been centred)
- all paragraphs separated by a blank line (i.e. margin-top & margin-bottom 1em)
- no paragraphs indented.

See this post, in the Kobo Driver thread, where I first mentioned it. I don't know the full whys and wherefores but it was during the great debate about 'all Kobo's line spacing settings are too big' (before the Kobo Patcher came along and made that problem go away). I hadn't used the p {line-height: 1.0 !important} in any calibre conversion Prefs settings, but in the Kobo Driver's "Modify CSS" option, which would just have copied that style rule, verbatim, to the bottom of each epub css file during send-to-device.

With that negative experience I've stayed away from !important ever since. But I don't know why that simple addition was so destructive to the styling.

As that post was from August 2013 (several fw versions ago), for interest, I just tried it again to see if anything had changed -- same result. However it's quite possible that !important is less destructive when used in other circumstances. Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
And wouldn't removing the all of the line heights be more or less the same as making all the line heights the same?
Oh, yes, it wouldn't be perfect. Some books may have some of their detailed styling spoiled (e.g. headings, dropcaps). But that may be a lesser-of-two-evils option in order to have all the standard body text paragraphs spaced to taste and which can be achieved with a mass epub-epub conversion using the Look&Feel - Filter option with line-height.

The only perfect solution is to hand-edit every epub to add/remove line-heights where they need to be added/removed. Most people aren't prepared to do that - and who can blame them?

The trouble with hard-coding specific line-height values in all your epubs is that any given value will only look good with some font families and will look terrible with others. If you only ever read with one font, now and forever more, perhaps this won't ever be a problem, but if you like to vary fonts and use a variety of reading devices and reader apps then the less hard-coded settings the better IMHO. Trying to future-proof epubs is tricky .
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #22
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
It was actually Nick I meant to address, rather than yourself. Sorry I didn't make that clear However...

It was as if the whole css file was missing, not just a single style rule, namely:
- all text left-aligned (incl headings which should have been centred)
- all paragraphs separated by a blank line (i.e. margin-top & margin-bottom 1em)
- no paragraphs indented.

See this post, in the Kobo Driver thread, where I first mentioned it. I don't know the full whys and wherefores but it was during the great debate about 'all Kobo's line spacing settings are too big' (before the Kobo Patcher came along and made that problem go away). I hadn't used the p {line-height: 1.0 !important} in any calibre conversion Prefs settings, but in the Kobo Driver's "Modify CSS" option, which would just have copied that style rule, verbatim, to the bottom of each epub css file during send-to-device.

With that negative experience I've stayed away from !important ever since. But I don't know why that simple addition was so destructive to the styling.

As that post was from August 2013 (several fw versions ago), for interest, I just tried it again to see if anything had changed -- same result. However it's quite possible that !important is less destructive when used in other circumstances. Who knows?

Oh, yes, it wouldn't be perfect. Some books may have some of their detailed styling spoiled (e.g. headings, dropcaps). But that may be a lesser-of-two-evils option in order to have all the standard body text paragraphs spaced to taste and which can be achieved with a mass epub-epub conversion using the Look&Feel - Filter option with line-height.

The only perfect solution is to hand-edit every epub to add/remove line-heights where they need to be added/removed. Most people aren't prepared to do that - and who can blame them?

The trouble with hard-coding specific line-height values in all your epubs is that any given value will only look good with some font families and will look terrible with others. If you only ever read with one font, now and forever more, perhaps this won't ever be a problem, but if you like to vary fonts and use a variety of reading devices and reader apps then the less hard-coded settings the better IMHO. Trying to future-proof epubs is tricky .
I don't spend a lot of time getting optimal appearance. Most books are better than reasonable and I just add my own preferences for indentation, justification and spacing.

I only read books once so not worth a lot of time unless I really want to read an ugly book and this happens seldom these days as most come pretty good already.

I have been thinking I would like to have the same base font size for body text for all book, and playing around occasionally, but what works for some doesn't work for all it seems. Probably lack of knowledge on may part.

I find the subject interesting, but am not prepared to spend a lot of time on a regular basis fine tuning when I am just reading that book once for several hours at most. Just lazy I guess.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
A couple of suggestions:

The !important works okay, in Epubs, I never used kepubs.
I have more then 2200 books in my calibre library, so edit them all and remove the line out of the .css is a very long time consuming thing.
But I am a bit "spoiled" I want all the txt left aligned, NO justify, I want them all in Amasis font, all txt exept chapter, in 12 pt and I have more then 2000 books to go ( Only the Perry Rhodans are about 5 years now ??? ) and I am scanning and making still 25 stephen kings in abbyy finereader.... so I want them all the same.

Last edited by Nick_1964; 04-09-2014 at 05:09 PM.