Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Audible Launches New Membership Plan

All-You-Can-Listen Membership Option
  • Spoiler:
    Quote:
    All-You-Can-Listen Membership Option, Audible Plus, Rolls Out in Preview

Audible is in the preview phase of a brand-new all-you-can-listen service, Audible Plus, that will provide access to an array of Audible Originals, audiobooks and podcasts that span genres, lengths and formats.

Audible Plus offers members greater selection through unlimited access to a robust catalog that includes over 68,000 hours of content and 11,000+ titles from across the content spectrum, including documentaries, comedy, journalism, kids, wellness, self-development, selections from Audible Theater and more. New Audible Originals come from a wide range of talent including Common, St. Vincent, Blake Griffin, Jesse Eisenberg, Tom Morello, Kevin Bacon, David Koepp, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kate Mara, Tayari Jones and Harvey Fierstein, among many other celebrated creators and performers. The content slate will continue to grow alongside various technical enhancements over the coming months.

The Audible Plus $7.95 offering will sit alongside Audible’s premium credit-based subscription option, which has been renamed Audible Premium Plus. For $14.95, Audible Premium Plus members will have access to the Audible Plus catalog and will also receive one credit a month which can be used for any piece of content outside the Plus catalog, regardless of price or length. The Audible Premium Plus membership is also available with varying numbers of credits to suit individual needs.

Audible Plus begins its initial rollout this week to Audible members. New customers interested in signing up to preview the Audible Plus standalone plan can do so beginning on August 27. Audible Plus programming can be streamed instantly or downloaded for offline listening. In addition to the Audible app, the Audible Plus catalog will also be available across Alexa-enabled devices and Amazon Fire tablets.
Audible Launches a Cheaper Subscription Plan
  • Spoiler:
    Quote:
    Audible launches a cheaper subscription plan for access to its exclusive podcasts and audio content

Audible, an Amazon company, is separating its exclusive audio content out into its own plan today with a cheaper subscription that doesn’t include credits to download audiobooks outside its catalog. Audible Plus, for $7.95 a month, is the company’s cheapest plan, giving subscribers access to Audible’s collection of exclusive audio content, like podcasts.

In the coming weeks, Audible plans to launch more new, exclusive content, including a podcast made with Pushkin Industries, author Malcom Gladwell’s podcast company, and the NBA about the continuing impact of Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls, as well as multiple audio narratives starring celebrities like Alicia Silverstone, Michael Caine, and Josh Gad. The company says it has over 68,000 hours’ worth of content in its catalog, among more than 11,000 works. It’s unclear how much of this catalog is third-party versus exclusive content.

Alongside its new plan, Audible is consolidating its Audible Gold and Platinum plans into something called Audible Premium Plus. For $14.95 a month, subscribers will gain access to the full Audible catalog, like Plus subscribers, but will also receive one credit to be used for any content in the Audible library, regardless of price or length. (Platinum users who used to receive two credits a month will still receive two at the $22.95 per month price.) The plans are considered to be in a “preview” phase right now with the idea being that feedback will be considered for the official launch. Existing subscribers can access the Audible Plus catalog starting today, and new customers who want to try Audible Plus can start signing up on August 27th.

Membership Plans -- US only
Audible Plus Q&As -- rental only
Frequently Asked Questions (see link for detailed answers)
  • Can I view the entire Audible Plus Catalog? -- NO
  • Do titles in the Audible Plus Catalog change or rotate? -- YES
  • I’m already a member. Can I listen to the titles in the Audible Plus Catalog? -- YES
  • How do I know if a title is INCLUDED or if I need a credit to select it? -- see link
  • If I cancel my membership, can I keep titles from the Audible Plus Catalog? -- NO
  • How can I tell which Audible plan is right for me? -- see link

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-06-2022 at 09:57 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Apparently my existing grandfathered plan includes Audible plus. Can't really say that it does much for me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Apparently my existing grandfathered plan includes Audible plus. Can't really say that it does much for me.
Yeah, quite underwhelming and not worth $8 a month as a stand-alone rental plan.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I was an Audible Gold subscriber for probably 10 years, until cancelling this spring when my office closed and I began working from home. Ironically without all the commuting time, I have little time for audiobooks, and probably have a couple of hundred things I have yet to listen to. If the Audible Exclusive content they have been producing is any indication, it is not worth $7.99/mo. Podcasts? My cup is over-full already (again, I don’t have time and have to delete about 90% of what I download just to keep up somewhat).

That, and they have made a mess of the Audible app with the filters, genres, and collections. I’m sure they meant well, but it doesn’t work well, and it hasn’t improved since they added these features.

For example, you would think you could select an item and add it to a collection, wouldn’t you? Well, you cannot. Instead you have to open a collection and search through your ENTIRE library to find things to add to it. Then repeat that with each collection you want to set up. No thanks.

I keep writing to Amazon and asking them to PLEASE let the Kindle app access all of my Audible content and use it to organize my reading in one place (okay: they need more speed options and an End of chapter Sleep timer option), with Goodreads sharing, etc. I would love not to have to use the Audible app ever again. Apple Books, Play Books, Kobo, Nook all have ‘integrated’ ebook + audiobook apps.

BTW, with a tool called OpenAudible, you can point it to your library on Audible.com and it will download .AAX and convert to MP3 or M4A with one click (plus time and disk space).

I’m not sure what it will take for me to subscribe again - it will take quite awhile to work through what I’ve already purchased over the years, and I do not miss the pressure of having to use credits before they expire. Libby has a pretty good audiobook player for library books, and an option I’ll be using much more in the future.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-24-2020 at 08:46 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I was an Audible Gold subscriber for probably 10 years, until cancelling this spring when my office closed and I began working from home. Ironically without all the commuting time, I have little time for audiobooks, and probably have a couple of hundred things I have yet to listen to. If the Audible Exclusive content they have been producing is any indication, it is not worth $7.99/mo. Podcasts? My cup is over-full already (again, I don’t have time and have to delete about 90% of what I download just to keep up somewhat).

That, and they have made a mess of the Audible app with the filters, genres, and collections. I’m sure they meant well, but it doesn’t work well, and it hasn’t improved since they added these features.

For example, you would think you could select an item and add it to a collection, wouldn’t you? Well, you cannot. Instead you have to open a collection and search through your ENTIRE library to find things to add to it. Then repeat that with each collection you want to set up. No thanks.

I keep writing to Amazon and asking them to PLEASE let the Kindle app access all of my Audible content and use it to organize my reading in one place (okay: they need more speed options and an End of chapter Sleep timer option), with Goodreads sharing, etc. I would love not to have to use the Audible app ever again. Apple Books, Play Books, Kobo, Nook all have ‘integrated’ ebook + audiobook apps.

BTW, with a tool called OpenAudible, you can point it to your library on Audible.com and it will download .AAX and convert to MP3 or M4A with one click (plus time and disk space).

I’m not sure what it will take for me to subscribe again - it will take quite awhile to work through what I’ve already purchased over the years, and I do not miss the pressure of having to use credits before they expire. Libby has a pretty good audiobook player for library books, and an option I’ll be using much more in the future.
I agree with regards to the audible app. The two things I miss the most from it are series info and manual ordering of collections. Of course, I give them credit. For years they didn't seem to be making any useful enhancements to it, so maybe there is hope.

BTW, I liked openaudible so much that I payed for it. It's not perfect, but it is handy.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have no interest at all in Audible’s proprietary content. It’s really just a shill game to disguise that you’re paying more for the good stuff. The deals, the sales, are not what they were. At this point, do long-term members even bother to look at the two-for-one sales? The books don’t change.

I have no idea what the underlying economics of producing audiobooks are, but I suspect the celebrity talent we see (hear) more and more of doesn’t come cheap. It’s not like the days when a David Case was cranking ‘em out in the hundreds to make his living. However, on the other hand, the skyrocketing popularity of audio could keep prices down, but it’s also an opportunity to raise them.

I’m not commuting anymore either, but I still get through a lot of audiobooks. I’ve got a lot of unheards and they and the library can keep me going. If I can’t hear the book I want, I can find something else. As with texts, audiobooks ultimately are fungible. My bottom line is that the price point of $14.95 is more, much more, than I’m will to spend per credit, and the add-ons provide no extra value for me at all.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Well, this is confusing. I'm a happy Silver plan subscriber, and I have no idea how/if that changes.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I saw the news on this yesterday and at first was excited, but after looking further into the details, not seeing how it would suit me. I am a Scribd rental subscriber and have been happy with their service, and while I like to listen to some of the Audible originals on occasion, not sure it's worth the price. I do not use them, or Spotify - who the article said were their main competitors in this area, for Podcasts. Since most podcasts are free, I'm not seeing a subscription reason if that is one area they will be focusing on.

I have seen some celebrity freebies with meditation and am curious if it's similar content and series, Again, interesting, but I'm not seeing it worth enough for another monthly fee. I'd have to see more samples of the service. I always enjoyed sale time at Audible, so if this opens up access to sale prices, that's a plus -- but those keep getting repeated so you can only stay interested in that as a reason for so long.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #9
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I saw the news on this yesterday and at first was excited, but after looking further into the details, not seeing how it would suit me. I am a Scribd rental subscriber and have been happy with their service, and while I like to listen to some of the Audible originals on occasion, not sure it's worth the price. I do not use them, or Spotify - who the article said were their main competitors in this area, for Podcasts. Since most podcasts are free, I'm not seeing a subscription reason if that is one area they will be focusing on.

I have seen some celebrity freebies with meditation and am curious if it's similar content and series, Again, interesting, but I'm not seeing it worth enough for another monthly fee. I'd have to see more samples of the service. I always enjoyed sale time at Audible, so if this opens up access to sale prices, that's a plus -- but those keep getting repeated so you can only stay interested in that as a reason for so long.

I appreciated Audible because you could get a great deal using credits to trade for books, also I was a easy sale for add-ons. If I am buying a book for $15 I figure why not add the audio for $5? In such situations I would usually not make it through the audio anyway, so obviously I didn’t need it. I cancelled my Audible subscription last month because I needed to tighten my belt due to work/income issues... buuuut I think I had more than 10 credits sitting in my account so I wasn’t even using it. I ended up buying some Pimsleur courses just to spend them, and hey, I have already done several lessons

I see this Audible Plus as a means of raising the price for the credits and that was all I was ever in for. If the credits cost more than $10 each then what’s the point?
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I saw an offer for an annual membership for $10 a credit so I got it. I wouldn't pay more than that, since I usually get whisper sync books for $7.49. So it's exciting, for me, that I can use and decide on this Plus program at my leisure over the next 11 months.

Hopefully they will add a bar, like in Audible Escape, so I can quickly see which titles in my WL are Plus books.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:39 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Well, this is confusing. I'm a happy Silver plan subscriber, and I have no idea how/if that changes.
What was the silver plan?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:48 AM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
What was the silver plan?
$14/1 credit every other month.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The only good thing about this plan announcement for me is that as a Prime member, I was able to get a new trial membership with 2 free credits.
(TM posted it in the deals thread).

The plan it self has no attraction for me.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
$14/1 credit every other month.
thanks so much!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The only good thing about this plan announcement for me is that as a Prime member, I was able to get a new trial membership with 2 free credits.
(TM posted it in the deals thread).

The plan it self has no attraction for me.
Thanks for mentioning it. I forgot to do so. Here's what I posted:

Audible is officially launching its new membership plans today and to celebrate, it looks like they're offering everyone a free 1 credit 30-day trial (2 credits for Prime members). I was able to sign up without any problems.

FREE -- Audible Premium Plus -- 30-day trial --> details