Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Visiting architectural and cultural monuments in Europe doesn't get old. But the question is would you still be doing it as much if you actually lived in Europe?

Living in Switzerland which is in central Europe, bordered by France to the west, Germany to the north, Austria to the east (as well as the tiny country of Liechtenstein) and Italy to the south, I have the rare privilege to be able to travel to many different places and countries by car within only a couple of hours. The problem is that, although I _could_ do this, I usually don't, due to laziness, cost of travel, and lack of time.

While distances in the States are much vaster, your country still offers a kind of diversity that you might expect from Europe or other places in the world. That's at least my experience from travelling through the US. While most of you speak the same language, it's still very much different whether you go to Florida or to Minnesota. Architectural in Chicago differs from San Fransisco. Etc. Flights are generally much cheaper in the US, which somewhat makes up for the distances. Also hotels are cheaper - if you ever tried to book a decent hotel in Paris, you know what I mean.

For me personally, it's more about diversity than about how old a building is. That said, I could imagine myself just as much enjoying it in the US as in Europe; whether it's the Eiffel tower or the Empire State Building.
when I lived in Germany, it was often said that many of the locals never traveled more than 100 klicks in their lifetimes. I always thought that was incredibly sad especially considering the ease of most travel in Europe. I would often do things such as hop on the train to have lunch in Munich when I lived in Nuerenburg and other quick "radius" type trips
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #17
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
when I lived in Germany, it was often said that many of the locals never traveled more than 100 klicks in their lifetimes.
I guess thats still true for many people everywhere over the world. (Seems to be question for the p&r section: Political, environmental and economical consequences of everyone or substantially more people travelling around ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I always thought that was incredibly sad especially considering the ease of most travel in Europe.
Yes.

But over here in my end of the woods most people have to be mobile. Simply not enough jobs around, so whole villages empty on Sunday evening while people (the men and younger ones mostly) leave for the working week and are heading back on friday afternoon (Autobahn getting crowded right now) for the weekend.

But distances are different over here, that's definetely true. If you really want, you can always get on the road in the afternoon to go to theatre in Berlin in the evening and head back the same night (will be a late return, though ).
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
where in Germany are you?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Those who live in the Washington DC area often hear the same laments:

"...So my cousin came to town for the week, and one day she said to me, 'Hey, I want to see the monuments. I want to see the Holocaust Memorial. I want to see the Cherry Blossoms. What'd you say?' ...and I realized how long it's been since I've seen those things."

"Y'know, it's funny... I've lived here all my life, and I've never gone to see (insert landmark, monument or building here)."

"No, I go into town to work, and back out, all the time... but I never seem to go down and sightsee anymore."

Maybe it's because Washingtonians are so busy, maybe it's because they get complacent, or maybe it's because there are so many things to see here... but a lot of us have gone indifferent to the sights around here.

(I try not to fall into that, but I'm aware of how many monuments have been put up in the last 20 years that I haven't gotten around to seeing yet...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #20
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
London skyline

When I commute into London Waterloo station every day, I always love two landmarks - Battersea Power station and then, as you round the corner from Vauxhall to Waterloo, you can see the Houses Of Parliament/Big Ben just the other side of the river from St Thomas's Hospital. I couldn't express why, but I particularly like The Houses of Parliament.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5341.1162915200.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	60333  
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #21
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
I've been living in France (Paris region) for 15 years now and I'll admit that your reaction to things does change over time. For example, I'll do almost anything to avoid having to go into Paris for "business reasons" during the week. The city itself can be dirty, noisy, hectic and especially in bad weather, basically kind of unpleasant.

However, when I have the chance to go into Paris to see friends or family visiting from "the Old Country" and I can show off the place a bit, all the old magic comes back.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
However, the first thing that sprang to my mind when I read this was; "What about all the amazing places in the USA?". We have visited Yosemite, the Grand Canyon and driven up the Pacific coast from LA to San Francisco. My question would be; do people in the US get used to these sights?
I live on the west coast and I never get used to it. I'm always awed when I see what nature has blessed us with.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
When I commute into London Waterloo station every day, I always love two landmarks - Battersea Power station and then, as you round the corner from Vauxhall to Waterloo, you can see the Houses Of Parliament/Big Ben just the other side of the river from St Thomas's Hospital. I couldn't express why, but I particularly like The Houses of Parliament.
That reminds me of one of my favorite songs - Waterloo Sunset (Kinks).
Old 10-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Coney Island.
I've been only once in NY. While my friends were in some museum, I went to Coney Island exclusively to see the ancient amusement park and eat a hot-dog at Nathan's. Nothing spectacular (the hot-dog), but I got a picture to prove I was at Nathan's

I've very fonds memories of that trip because I saw iconic places that I'd only seen before in pictures. Hey, I even ate a donut at Wall Street surrounded by guys in expensive suits!
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
I've been only once in NY. While my friends were in some museum, I went to Coney Island exclusively to see the ancient amusement park and eat a hot-dog at Nathan's. Nothing spectacular (the hot-dog), but I got a picture to prove I was at Nathan's
I know what you mean. I've done that kind of thing before too (other places). It's something you have to do. It's famous, you're there, you gotta do it; even if it's dumb, you still gotta do it.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #26
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Those who live in the Washington DC area often hear the same laments:

"...So my cousin came to town for the week, and one day she said to me, 'Hey, I want to see the monuments. I want to see the Holocaust Memorial. I want to see the Cherry Blossoms. What'd you say?' ...and I realized how long it's been since I've seen those things."

"Y'know, it's funny... I've lived here all my life, and I've never gone to see (insert landmark, monument or building here)."

"No, I go into town to work, and back out, all the time... but I never seem to go down and sightsee anymore."

Maybe it's because Washingtonians are so busy, maybe it's because they get complacent, or maybe it's because there are so many things to see here... but a lot of us have gone indifferent to the sights around here.

(I try not to fall into that, but I'm aware of how many monuments have been put up in the last 20 years that I haven't gotten around to seeing yet...)
I was in D.C. in May for a funeral and my son went overboard showing me around. I got in late Wednesday night, the funeral was the next day at Arlington, then we did the whole Arlington tour, then the next day I had a private Senate tour, doing parts of the Mall before and after, and then the following day was Native American Smithsonian, then a private White House tour. I left at 4:30 the following morning totally exhausted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
I've been living in France (Paris region) for 15 years now and I'll admit that your reaction to things does change over time. For example, I'll do almost anything to avoid having to go into Paris for "business reasons" during the week. The city itself can be dirty, noisy, hectic and especially in bad weather, basically kind of unpleasant.

However, when I have the chance to go into Paris to see friends or family visiting from "the Old Country" and I can show off the place a bit, all the old magic comes back.
I was in West Berlin for a tour of East and West Berlin (when it still was divided) with a group of Army Officers and wives. since I spoke the mot German in the group of wives, and was very familiar with getting around I was appointed unofficial tour guide when we were knocking around in the west. it got to be about lunch time and some of the ladies were advocating for eating at McDonald's. I told them that they could be eating at McDonalds for the rest of their lives and they had very few days to eat in West Berlin. I started to get back on the Strassenbahn and let them have their way when it finally occurred to them that no one had been paying attention and they hadn't a clue as to where they were at

my longest trip to Paris I stayed in the CLuny hotel. I had a direct view of Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower. it was amazing to wake up to that every morning for 10 mornings!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #27
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Nothing spectacular (the hot-dog), but I got a picture to prove I was at Nathan's***

Funny you should bring up the iconic, Falcao. I remember on my very first day in New York (where I was based for a year or two), an old friend from London took me to Freddy's Supper Club on Third and 48th for lunch. He knew I was a jazz fan and a keen amateur jazz trumpet player.

There was an old guy on trumpet who spotted me watching his fingers move. Later, he joined me at the bar with his trumpet dangling from his fingers. We chatted and I told him I'd just arrived. He asked me what I wanted to do most in the US.

I said: I wanna buy you and me a Manhattan cocktail, take a sip, then borrow your horn play 'Manhattan' in Manhatten."

And he let me and I blew my heart out on the wee stage there. I'll never forget that. No picture, though, apart from in my head.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
***Nothing spectacular (the hot-dog), but I got a picture to prove I was at Nathan's***

Funny you should bring up the iconic, Falcao. I remember on my very first day in New York (where I was based for a year or two), an old friend from London took me to Freddy's Supper Club on Third and 48th for lunch. He knew I was a jazz fan and a keen amateur jazz trumpet player.

There was an old guy on trumpet who spotted me watching his fingers move. Later, he joined me at the bar with his trumpet dangling from his fingers. We chatted and I told him I'd just arrived. He asked me what I wanted to do most in the US.

I said: I wanna buy you and me a Manhattan cocktail, take a sip, then borrow your horn play 'Manhattan' in Manhatten."

And he let me and I blew my heart out on the wee stage there. I'll never forget that. No picture, though, apart from in my head.

Cheers. Neil
Great story.