Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
retiredbiker
Zealot
retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
4.0 Is Beautiful

Somebody has to say it, amidst all the griping. I've really been pounding it for a couple of days, reading, converting and editing, and I like it all. On Ubuntu, I've had no glitches at all. I can't even imagine the work it took: thank you, Kovid!

And yes, I'll be happy to use the scroll bar when it returns, but no hurry.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The scrollbar has already be added, will be in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Zealot
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
Somebody has to say it, amidst all the griping. I've really been pounding it for a couple of days, reading, converting and editing, and I like it all. On Ubuntu, I've had no glitches at all. I can't even imagine the work it took: thank you, Kovid!
Yay! I started two threads on this - one was hijacked by a naysayer on a risibly specious excuse, but the other is still clear, and includes a poll
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
One great thing about the 4.0 reader: the new cache is amazing.

I have a fairly large reference book I use a lot. Previously, it took about 25-30 seconds to open (I believe calibre scans the entire document to get a page/word count). Now, the first time I opened it took about that long, with the "opening for the first time..." message. But subsequent opens take just 2-3 seconds, unless I've updated the book.

I no longer have to leave it open all day long, or wait around for it to parse.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the cache was made for precisely this reason and also for viewing books other than EPUB which first need to be converted under the hood. It trades slightly longer first poen times for much shorter subsequent open times.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert