Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #1276
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
Does anyone else have any feedback on the prospective v1.4.0?

Any feedback is useful, even if it’s “I installed it and have noticed no problems,” although obviously bug reports are more important.

At this point, in the absence of other data, the one change I’m looking at before an official release is to pull the Google Play pagemap code over to the generic pagemap removal routine, where I can merge those into one solid option. IIRC, the only reason the GP code currently resides in the Kobo routine is because at the time, there was no generic pagemap removal routine and I didn’t want to make a new routine for such a specific task… and those conditions no longer apply.

In other words, we’re quickly approaching the “wedding ceremony” phase of this release: anyone who has a reason why these changes should not be made, speak now or…
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #1277
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It would be interesting to know how many users subscribe to a particular sub-forum or thread, my guess it that for calibre plugin threads it would be vanishingly few.

I won't subscribe to anything that requires an email address. And if I get 'auto-subscribed' to a mailing list, e.g. because I bought something on line, I immediately unsubscribe.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #1278
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post

Any feedback is useful, even if it’s “I installed it and have noticed no problems,” although obviously bug reports are more important.

At this point, in the absence of other data, the one change I’m looking at before an official release is to pull the Google Play pagemap code over to the generic pagemap removal routine, where I can merge those into one solid option. IIRC, the only reason the GP code currently resides in the Kobo routine is because at the time, there was no generic pagemap removal routine and I didn’t want to make a new routine for such a specific task… and those conditions no longer apply.

In other words, we’re quickly approaching the “wedding ceremony” phase of this release: anyone who has a reason why these changes should not be made, speak now or…
I've tested it on a Google Play ePub and I have no problem with it. I've been using it per normal and again no problem. Make the change you want and I'll test it again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #1279
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Just the I haven't seen any problems on the 20 or so books I've run ModifyEpub on since I installed 1.40 type of feedback.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #1280
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Just the I haven't seen any problems on the 20 or so books I've run ModifyEpub on since I installed 1.40 type of feedback.
Hey, “it didn’t break” counts!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #1281
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
It just worked for me. I don't even have a count of how many books: A bunch, as I was doing a lot of series name cleaning.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #1282
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One negative bit. I added a book, edited the metadata and cover, checked the book for errors in Sigil and then used ModifyEpub to update the metadata and cover in the epub. I then started reading the book on my ereader and noted an error. I went to open the epub to correct the error and both Sigil and calibre's editor whimpered about obfuscated fonts.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #1283
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
One negative bit. I added a book, edited the metadata and cover, checked the book for errors in Sigil and then used ModifyEpub to update the metadata and cover in the epub. I then started reading the book on my ereader and noted an error. I went to open the epub to correct the error and both Sigil and calibre's editor whimpered about obfuscated fonts.
Does the same thing happen under 1.3.13 or the semiofficial 1.3.14? I didn’t see anything in any of the merges I made for 1.4.0 that should affect fonts...
Old 10-10-2019, 12:35 AM   #1284
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
Would it be possible to add removing of webkit code that is on Apple bought epubs in this plugin.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:44 AM   #1285
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Does the same thing happen under 1.3.13 or the semiofficial 1.3.14? I didn’t see anything in any of the merges I made for 1.4.0 that should affect fonts...
I removed and re-added the book and checked with the other two version of ModifyEpub I had around. It broke for all three. Easy solution was when I initially opened with Sigil was to select the font file and set Font Obfuscation to none. I vaguely remember that Adobe's font obfuscation uses the main uuid from the opf in the decryption so I'm wondering if the metadata update is breaking that.

hmmm... the original content.opf file contains these dc:identifier lines:

Code:
<dc:identifier id="uid">3500792716</dc:identifier>
<dc:identifier opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:e6f8ccbf-f756-4a24-8f2e-7fa9b76df046</dc:identifier>
while the ModifyEpubbed content.opf file only contains the first of those lines:

Code:
<dc:identifier id="uid">3500792716</dc:identifier>
I've added an image of my ModifyEpub options for 1.40.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ModifyEpub_options.png
Views:	18
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	174104  
Old 10-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #1286
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
I removed and re-added the book and checked with the other two version of ModifyEpub I had around. It broke for all three.

I've added an image of my ModifyEpub options for 1.40.
Okay, on review… this is what we in The Biz call a PEBKAC error: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

The obfuscated font is an Adobe resource, one which is protected by DRM.

You have instructed Modify to remove Adobe resource DRM meta tags.

Without that tag, readers no longer have the keys required to decode the DRM which obfuscates the font.

Modify is doing exactly what you’ve told it to do. The problem is that you’ve told it to break your book’s fonts.

This is not a bug, nor is it new behavior.

It may be that some additional warnings about this scenario are warranted, but this is at its heart a plugin which exists to allow the user to make significant changes. Some of those are dangerous… and this is one of them.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #1287
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Would it be possible to add removing of webkit code that is on Apple bought epubs in this plugin.
Possible, perhaps… but not by me (having no such epubs to work from) and not for this version (which exists primarily to unify the existing code forks).
Old 10-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #1288
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Rev. Bob which version do you want to make into the new official version?
Old 10-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #1289
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@Rev. Bob which version do you want to make into the new official version?
1.4.0, once it exits beta.

Which it hasn’t yet.

In fact, I’m testing the new pagemap removal routine right now.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #1290
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
1.4.0, once it exits beta.

Which it hasn’t yet.

In fact, I’m testing the new pagemap removal routine right now.
I found what may be a bug. An ePub that is not a KePub is showing that Kobo Spans have been stripped.

Can you have a look and see why this is happening and what it's actually doing? I've attached a scrambled version of the eBook that's showing this behavior.