Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 01:51 AM   #1
reader_
reader_ began at the beginning.

Device: debian linux
Exclamation calibre 4.01 has multiple problems in my system

Firstly, thanks to the developer for such great software.
However the 4.01 upgrade on my debian system has messed things up for me. The following shows up when i try to open an epub file.

calibre, version 4.1.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>UnicodeEncodeError</b>:'latin-1' codec can't encode character u'\u2019' in position 3: ordinal not in range(256)

calibre 4.1 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Python 2.7.16
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 15) && Reading List (1, 6, 6)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/ui.py", line 301, in load_finished
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/ui.py", line 319, in load_book_data
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/toc.py", line 199, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/toc.py", line 150, in __init__
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode character u'\u2019' in position 3: ordinal not in range(256)

I switched back to version 3.48 which works flawlessly.

There are other problems that doesnt bother me much.
the books added after upgrade have no description in the sidebar. Also at the bottom "?calibre 4.1 created by kovid Goyal???? ....." is shown instead of the normal one without question marks.

Am i missing some codecs or something?Do I need to install anything or is it the program's fault?
reader_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to set your system encoding to utf-8 not latin-1 and you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote