Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Sending to Kindle using plugboards

I send books to my device and via email to Amazon in this format:

{series}{series_index:| [|] }{title}
{author_sort}

I used to actually save the books in this style in my Library and then send them to Amazon via the Send to Kindle or outside email. I just recently learned of using the plugboard with the email as the device, and then learned that I can have the emails spaced less than 5 minutes apart. It has done wonders for my ability to send books efficiently. Now, I don't have to change the actual book before sending it.

I want to know if the book will be recognized in Calibre after it has been downloaded from Amazon to my device with the formatting as described.

Has the book actually been reformatted? Or has Calibre "tricked" Amazon and the book actually will show up in the library as the original title/author sort if I add it from the device to Calibre.

I noticed that Amazon still shows the book as being the plugboard style, on both the device and their "Content and Devices" page. I also know that a .mobi file cannot be changed metadata wise without actually reconverting it in Calibre. ie. I cannot change the metadata on a .mobi file in Calibre and have the actual file change unless I reconvert it.

Also, how does configuring the device work? If I use the plugboard to send via email, do I need to set the device the same? Currently I do have the device set to the same way as I do on the plugboard, but I am wondering if this is overkill.

I hope this makes sense.

My ultimate goal is to have the books in Calibre which are formatted normally, match up and be indicated as "on device" with the books on my device which are sent via plugboard in the fashion of

{series}{series_index:| [|] }{title}

I have only just started using the plugboard, so just about all of the books already sent have been converted and saved in that format, so up until now I have been literally copying the books from the device into a single empty library, creating a .csv catalog of the library, formatting the catalog to separate the titles and series, then importing the catalog as a .csv list into my Calibre libraries containg the original books and adding a "yes/no" column to indicate that the book has been "sent to the cloud".

Such a waste of time. Especially as the library grows, and I delete or change books and resend them.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
Rellwood
Library Breeder
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I just saw that the books sent via email and the plugboard are showing up in Calibre, so it looks like I will be deleting my library and resending them.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote