Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #61
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
Hello. I have PW3 with firmware 5.9.7. Can I jailbrake it on this firmware or downgrade by this file: update_pw3_5.9.6.1_factory.bin
Kindle firmware does not allow updates to lower firmware version numbers.

Your only option is to flash the firmware over the serial port. Instructions are in the serial port jailbreak threads.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #62
Oneved
Oneved began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 32GB JP
Thanks a lot for the guide!

I just got myself a new Kindle and was lucky enough to find 5.9.6.1 firmware on it.

I just have a couple of questions I'd like to ask before proceeding any further.

1. Shall I registered my device first?
2. After the jailbreak is complete, will I be able to update the firmware to the latest version over the air? Or should I stick with specific version in order to keep the jailbreak/avoid compatibility issues?

Thanks!
Oneved is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #63
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
1) Doesn't matter. I usually JB first before I even connect to wifi in order to avoid any automatic firmware updates, though.

2) You can update. Although be wary—discussions on the PW4 JB thread suggest Amazon may be trying to actively combat the existing JB now. Also, things may not work if you're one of the early adopters. Iirc, on 5.10.2, MRPI didn't work until NiLuJe released a new hotfix so can't reinstall KUAL, etc. Personally, I went with customer fw5.9.6.1 again so in case something happens and I lose my JB, I can just redo the JB.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #64
Oneved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
1) Doesn't matter. I usually JB first before I even connect to wifi in order to avoid any automatic firmware updates, though.

2) You can update. Although be wary—discussions on the PW4 JB thread suggest Amazon may be trying to actively combat the existing JB now. Also, things may not work if you're one of the early adopters. Iirc, on 5.10.2, MRPI didn't work until NiLuJe released a new hotfix so can't reinstall KUAL, etc. Personally, I went with customer fw5.9.6.1 again so in case something happens and I lose my JB, I can just redo the JB.
Thanks a lot for a detailed response, mate. I'll follow your suggestion then and report later how did it go.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:43 AM   #65
Oneved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneved View Post
Thanks a lot for a detailed response, mate. I'll follow your suggestion then and report later how did it go.
Just a follow up. I successfully jailbroken my Kindle and loaded the same version of firmware, just a customer one.

By the way, do these new versions of firmware actually give us any benefit? Or it's just an Amazon trying to forbid jailbreaking?
Advert
Old 01-31-2019, 06:17 AM   #66
Oneved

Also, would anyone like to share their Top 3 add-ons?

I'm currently looking into Koreader for epubs as well as screensaver hack. Anything for improving manga experience?

P.S. You install all add-ons by placing *.bin files into mrpackages folder and selecting Install MR Packages through the Helper?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 AM   #67
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By the way, do these new versions of firmware actually give us any benefit?
There is no simple answer to that. Like just about all consumer electronics firmware, each new kindle firmware version

fixes some of the existing bugs,

adds new bugs,

removes some features,

adds new features,

adds new mis-features.

How they split into the last two is a matter of opinion and debate.

Recently, some of the new bugs have been pretty bad. I think it is usually best wait until the early adopters have thoroughly tested and used the latest version.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #68
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
P.S. You install all add-ons by placing *.bin files into mrpackages folder and selecting Install MR Packages through the Helper?
You need to read the KUAL thread. The install process is much simpler and standardized, but the details differ for each OS. (I don't do windows or mac.)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #69
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Also, would anyone like to share their Top 3 add-ons?
My top 3:
  1. LibrarianSync (for Kindle Collections via Calibre) -> update*.bin outdated, need to get/clone master zip from github
  2. KOReader
  3. Screensaver
Mind, Python is a prerequisite for at least two of the above so maybe that should have been my number 1?

Quote:
I'm currently looking into Koreader for epubs as well as screensaver hack. Anything for improving manga experience?
Lol, for me KOReader is the best option for improving the manga experience for the simple fact that it supports CBZ/zipped image files natively. No need to convert to AZW3 with KCC anymore, a simple copy/paste works, yay! It also supports opening the next file once you've finished reading the current file which is super convenient for series.

I didn't used to like KOReader for reading manga due to JPEG artifacts (lotsa macroblocking) but that's been solved with newer releases.

Quote:
Installation depends on the add-on. Some use update*.bin in [KindleRoot|userstore]/mrpackages/ folder. Some are just simple unzip to Kindle root/userstore or unzip and copy folder to [KindleRoot|userstore]/extensions/ folder.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #70
Oneved

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There is no simple answer to that. Like just about all consumer electronics firmware, each new kindle firmware version

fixes some of the existing bugs,

adds new bugs,

removes some features,

adds new features,

adds new mis-features.

How they split into the last two is a matter of opinion and debate.

Recently, some of the new bugs have been pretty bad. I think it is usually best wait until the early adopters have thoroughly tested and used the latest version.
This is hilarious, but so true. Haha!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #71
Oneved

Quote:
My top 3:
  1. LibrarianSync (for Kindle Collections via Calibre) -> update*.bin outdated, need to get/clone master zip from github
  2. KOReader
  3. Screensaver
Mind, Python is a prerequisite for at least two of the above so maybe that should have been my number 1?

Lol, for me KOReader is the best option for improving the manga experience for the simple fact that it supports CBZ/zipped image files natively. No need to convert to AZW3 with KCC anymore, a simple copy/paste works, yay! It also supports opening the next file once you've finished reading the current file which is super convenient for series.

I didn't used to like KOReader for reading manga due to JPEG artifacts (lotsa macroblocking) but that's been solved with newer releases.

Installation depends on the add-on. Some use update*.bin in [KindleRoot|userstore]/mrpackages/ folder. Some are just simple unzip to Kindle root/userstore or unzip and copy folder to [KindleRoot|userstore]/extensions/ folder.
Yeah, I'm trying to understand how it all works. There is definitely some outdated information floating around, but at the same time this community is incredibly helpful. I'm grateful for that.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:52 AM   #72
Oneved

Quote:

Do I use the latter method for installing librariansync? Unzip and place librariansync (and tools?) folder at the root of Kindle?
Old 01-31-2019, 12:01 PM   #73
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Do I use the latter method for installing librariansync? Unzip and place librariansync (and tools?) folder at the root of Kindle?
Although (*nix and) Linux do not use the filename extension to identify file types, our packaging people do.

Is the extension to the filename *.bin ? <- must be installed

Is the extension to the filename *.zip ? <- view contents of archive, find, read, and follow the directions.
Alternatively, read and follow the directions in the distribution post where you got the *.zip file.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:01 PM   #74
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
You just need to copy the librariansync folder itself into the [KindleRoot]/extensions/ folder.

As far as I can tell, the tools folder is only needed for creating the update*.bin package that will work with MRPI. I think you need Linux for that, though.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #75
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
You just need to copy the librariansync folder itself into the [KindleRoot]/extensions/ folder.

As far as I can tell, the tools folder is only needed for creating the update*.bin package that will work with MRPI. I think you need Linux for that, though.
If a Kindle, then you have Linux.
If the Kindle has MrPI install, then you have the Kindle/Linux build of kindletool installed (it is part of MrPI).
So I am pretty sure everything is available on the Kindle itself.
Unless you do not have MrPI installed, but if you don't, then why do you need packages generated for it to use?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw3, pw3 jailbreak