Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
NautilusIII
NautilusIII began at the beginning.

Device: none
Normal books and technical papers (PDFs with annotation support)

Hi!

I am searching for an ebook reader satisfying two use cases:

1. Reading normal books
This is the more simple use case I think; just want to be able to have access to a lot of current bestsellers, download them and read them ... easy...

2. Academic/technical papers
Most of these papers are in PDF format, often DIN A4, text often layouted double-column etc.
It must be possible to read this papers comfortably, even if they contain formulas or images.
A very important aspect is that it must be possible to highlight and annotate text fragments, to have easy access to such previously made annotations and to export them to a PC to print them e.g. It should be possible to make handwritten notices (via a stylus) and "printed" annotations via a virtual keyboard.

As indicated, It should be possible to do such annotations with a stylus; I am not the fan of mini-keyboards, I think a virtual keyboard is sufficient.

Searching for text should be supported to.

In General:
The device should be usable outside and visualize ebooks nicely (I like eInk).
Finger touchpad is not soo important, but if the visualization does not suffer it is a plus.
Books should be manageable in folders or so.
Memory must be extensible (SD e.g.).
Battery life time must be really long.

Things like text2speech are less important.

I am generally thinking of a 6" device.

I am interested in the Onyx Boox 60, the BeBook Neo, and the Pocketbook 302 (or its successor). I am not sure whether any Sony device (the 600) does what I am looking for?!?

Any recommendations?

I am living in Germany if that matters :-)

Thanks!

Last edited by NautilusIII; 07-16-2010 at 04:26 PM.
NautilusIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
NautilusIII

Nobody able to provide some insights? :-(
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If you're thinking of a 6 inch device, the only one who really offers powerful annotation capabilities is the famed Bebook Neo/Onyx Boox. As much of a Pocketbook fanboy that I may look like sometimes, the machine strikes me as superior to the PB302.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautilusIII View Post
Nobody able to provide some insights? :-(
there are a lot of similar threads but Ill give you my perspective - I have owned probaly 6 or 7 different ereaders (e-ink) from 5" to 9.7 and currently an Ipad. No matter how capable the 6" inch reading a graphical pdf on that size is an excercise in compromise. I moved up to a kindle DX and that was sublime comared to my Kindle 2, My Sony 600, my bebook etc. Now I am using an Ipad and I can not even imagine thumbing through my letter size pdf's on my Kindle DX (which i just sold). If it has to be E-ink i reccomend the Kindle DX if you are open the ipad is for the best PDF reader, annotations, quick page refreshes its a great experience and in full color. I can go all day without worries too on one cahrge and have room to spare.

I loaded up 8 gigs of pdf's some of which are over 300 megs each and all I can say is Alles lief wie am Schnürchen
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
NautilusIII

Sorry, was traveling...

The Kindle DX is no option I think as it does not support annotating or highlighting in PDFs, which is a hard requirement.

The new Kindle 3 supports it and might be an option, but then I am unable to read books in epub format, right? But it is much cheaper...

SO, Bebook/Boox or another Hanlin derivate OR Kindle 2?
What do you guys think?

Maybe buying a Kindle NOW as it isn't too expensive and going for something really cool next year might be the right thing.

Opionions?

Last edited by NautilusIII; 07-30-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
wadcyr8_197
wadcyr8_197 began at the beginning.

Device: None
I am in a similar situation than NautilusIII.
Apparently, for technical paper (and academic), 6" readers are not a good idea. They are too small. that's why i'm looking for a minimum of 8" but actually there is no good things or only very expensive. I'm actually looking for the iRex DR1000S or the future Pocketbook 901 ...
wadcyr8_197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
yashi
yashi began at the beginning.

i am expecting pretty much the same as the thread creator does. but i can't find a suitable Reader either...

as i said, my expectations are pretty much the same:

1. lets call it "native" pdf support...presenting a pdf in pictures like the kindle does is imo pretty useless...which brings me to the second expectation
2. text search. text search. text search!

are there any eReader out there, which live up to my expectations?

thanks in advance.
yashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
doesnt the new kindle offer text search especially on pdfs and different abilities to zoom and pan and scroll in pdfs? From the product pages and the reviews it sounds like the new kindle could be quite ok for reading pdfs if 6" is enough (it is for me).
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote