Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
jwadle
jwadle began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Conversion settings

Hello all,

I am very new to this forum and to using Calibre. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues when converting a PDF to EPUB via calibre with returns being int he middle of the sentance for no reason.. For exampe

bla blabla bla
bla bla bla bla blabl. bla bl bal bal bla bl bal balbla bl bal balbla bl bal balbla bl bal balbla bl bal balbla bl bal bal
bla bl bal balbla bl bal balbla bl bal balbla bl bal bal. bla bl bal balbla bl bal bal
bla bl bal bal
bla bl bal balbla bl bal balbla bl bal bal.

I used the Ipad sett... If I convert the same file online with Epub2go, it comes out perfect... I would love to do that, but I have a lot of PDFs that I want to convert.. Also I know the new version of IBooks support PDF, but I like the way the EPUBs look in ibooks..

Thanks for any help or suggestions
jwadle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Even when I used Calibre I never had much luck converting PDF's. There are so many variables that can effect it.

If I remember right (someone else I'm sure knows better) when you are converting a PDF if you look under the "PDF input" tab, you will see something like "Line Un-Wrapping". Sometimes you have to experiment, but that setting can make a big difference.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Yes, line unwrapping is the option you want. You'll have to play with it for each different PDF you want to convert because they're all different.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
PDF conversion is pretty challenging, even by hand. I do know the Calibre devs are working on an improved PDF-ePub conversion, not sure what the ETA on that is.

I have used Adobe Acrobat Pro to convert PDFs to HTML with some success. But recently I've given up, and just read PDFs in Stanza :P
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
kjk said "But recently I've given up, and just read PDFs in Stanza"

And that I think is the better option. On Sony readers I had to convert everything, but with the iPad I can now read in the "native" format. I use Goodreader for PDF's and find it much better than trying to turn a PDF into an ePub......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert