Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
BeBook to hit UK stores

According to the BeBook website, the BeBook (which recently added Mobipocket support) will be introduced to the UK through a number of retailers soon:
"Time to say 'hello' to the UK once more! Within the next few weeks the BeBook will be available from stores nationwide in the UK!"
This is of course good news for ebook acceptance in general. In addition, the BeBook got some new reviews as well, like this one from TechRadar.

I wish Endless Ideas good luck with the introduction of their BeBook in the UK.

Last edited by ebookreaders; 09-26-2008 at 02:53 PM.
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Cathy W
Cathy W began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
After a little blip in getting the Mobipocket software onto my Bebook (I think it was my error, to be fair), I am delighted with it. The screen is lovely and clear, the controls are clear and it responds really quickly. It is light and compact and I love the fact that I can now download Mobipocket books from any bookshop and I'm not tied to one. I cannot recommend the Bebook more highly.
Cathy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I've been wondering when the Bebook was going to arrive.

As the last of the Big Three, its the only one which does not have a retail presence here.

(Ok Gen 3 Is still Web only with W.H. Smith, but it will probably show up in stores, once they can keep up with demand )
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
soalla
soalla began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy W View Post
After a little blip in getting the Mobipocket software onto my Bebook (I think it was my error, to be fair), I am delighted with it. The screen is lovely and clear, the controls are clear and it responds really quickly. It is light and compact and I love the fact that I can now download Mobipocket books from any bookshop and I'm not tied to one. I cannot recommend the Bebook more highly.
Hi, Cathy

According to the BeBook website, the BeBook supports several file formats: pdf, mobi, prc, epub, lit, txt, fb2, doc, html, rtf, djvu, wol, ppt, mbp, chm, bmp, jpg, png, gif, tif, rar, zip, mp3.

I'd like to know if you tried some of those formats. I've a special interest on the lit format (as it's the one I mostly use with my HP IPAQ HX700 and my Tablet PC) and on the zip and rar support.

Of course, I'm asking Cathy, but any BeBook owner who could answer me is welcome Thanks!!
soalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is the BeBook going to be sold in the USA?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is the BeBook going to be sold in the USA?
Astak says that they are Jinke's "exclusive Sales Agent for all of North and South America". Astak's local warranty and service will probably make it the best way to get a V3 in the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
This ad has appeared on this site. The first of the UK retailers? Due on 8th October.

BeBook eBook Reader
Read any book, anytime, anywhere £229.00 Pre-orders now being taken
www.bitsub.com
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bit expensive compared with the £179.99 price of the Gen3 from WH Smiths, including a cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:48 AM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bit expensive compared with the £179.99 price of the Gen3 from WH Smiths, including a cover.
True, But if you compare it to the Gen3 's list price (£ 270 + £30), its quiet a nice deal, and does include a cover as well.

If the deal was not available, I would probably recommend it to many more people, especially with the Mobi support.

In fact, am personally thinking of getting one, sometime in the future to do some R&D for my own uses.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True, but with any luck, any UK retailer will discount it as WH Smith has done with the Cybook. If not, it will be hard to sell on the High St. Waterstone's was first with a £199 machine. WHS undercut them with £179. No reason now for anyone to pay the full price for the Cybook and Bebook.
I want a six inch reader, but am going to wait a week or so for the Sony and Bebook announcements.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:52 AM   #11
Cathy W
Cathy W began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by soalla View Post
Hi, Cathy

According to the BeBook website, the BeBook supports several file formats: pdf, mobi, prc, epub, lit, txt, fb2, doc, html, rtf, djvu, wol, ppt, mbp, chm, bmp, jpg, png, gif, tif, rar, zip, mp3.

I'd like to know if you tried some of those formats. I've a special interest on the lit format (as it's the one I mostly use with my HP IPAQ HX700 and my Tablet PC) and on the zip and rar support.

Of course, I'm asking Cathy, but any BeBook owner who could answer me is welcome Thanks!!
Sorry, but no I haven't tried any of the other formats. I've only used pdf and mobi but they work really well on the BeBook.
Cathy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:57 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
True, But if you compare it to the Gen3 's list price (£ 270 + £30), its quiet a nice deal, and does include a cover as well.

If the deal was not available, I would probably recommend it to many more people, especially with the Mobi support.

In fact, am personally thinking of getting one, sometime in the future to do some R&D for my own uses.
Why BeBook and not CyBook Gen3?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy W View Post
Sorry, but no I haven't tried any of the other formats. I've only used pdf and mobi but they work really well on the BeBook.
Standard pdf files work well?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #14
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Even tho I own a BeBook myswlf I would say a Gen 3, due to the fact that it's cheaper through WH Smith, and also the fact that Dictionary lookup seems to work on the gen 3, which is not currently doing on the BeBook, at least not in a useful way.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
well I already own cybook and sony prs 500.
I'm curious to try out some of the functionality such as formate support, support for asian languages & folder navigation.
I've been asked by a number of people who have seen mine and mainly need a device for reading files in indian languages.
dictionary support is nice but not the main point. also font size has be changable.Thats the main drawback with the sony, with only three sizes.

Tags
bebook, introduction