Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #31
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I tried audiobooks but didn't like them. I mean, they were OK for entertainment while I couldn't see, but I prefer to read for myself. And every 10 mins I fell asleep, so kept having to find my place in the audiobook again and again.
Geez, it's like I'm looking into a mirror! (hearing you say this.... )
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #32
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Geez, it's like I'm looking into a mirror! (hearing you say this.... )
Lucky You!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #33
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You'd think iPod would have the courtesy to include a deadman switch, so that when we fall asleep listening to audiobooks, it would pause and wait for us to wake up from those delicious nappy time dreams.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #34
Bluefrogs3
Bluefrogs3 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: EBW-1150
Well, I'm going back to the start....Someone on e-bay is selling a New GEB 1150 fairly cheap would it be worth looking into or should I pay a bit more for the ebw 1150?
Bluefrogs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #35
Bluefrogs3

Never mind..... I just checked the auction!! It doesn't come with a SM card so all it would have is 8MBs. After cost+s/h+ buying a card,not worth it!!! Buy the brand new EBW 1150 for the same or less........
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #36
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefrogs3 View Post
Well, I'm going back to the start....Someone on e-bay is selling a New GEB 1150 fairly cheap would it be worth looking into or should I pay a bit more for the ebw 1150?
I think the GEB1150 is what it was *called* before eBookwise put their sticker on it! It should be the same reader; no new ones have been manufactured since Gemstar shut down years ago. BTW, GEB = Gemstar eBook i.e. GeB!

eBookwise just bought up the remaining inventory from Gemstar.

Now I use the term eBookwise loosely here, since they are the retailer and the manufacturer, eBooktechnologies, Inc. (ETI) is the one who probably bought-out the remaining inventory and "sells" it to the retailer. There are two additional, retailers (as far as I know) Filament Books and the person on ebay selling NEW EBW1150's!

A bit more history (trivia): There was a free exchange program initiated by Gemstar, years ago, to convert a REB1100 into a GEB1150 (owners had to send it into the factory where Gemstar would replace the B&W screen with a grayscale and re-flash the internal memory to use the .imp format/GUI). Most people liked it at first, but then later found out that personal content would no longer be allowed to be uploaded to their converted GEB1150! Another long-story!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #37
nrapallo

Quote:
Never mind..... I just checked the auction!! It doesn't come with a SM card so all it would have is 8MBs. After cost+s/h+ buying a card,not worth it!!! Buy the brand new EBW 1150 for the same or less........
And for a bit more, I usually recommend that avid readers (maybe like you), choose the 128 MB SM card option when buying the eBookwise 1150. Just to plan ahead...
Old 09-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
there is a lady that sells the EB-1150 all the time on eBay. I believe it is usually packaged with a 64M card and is generally a bit cheaper. Several folks here at mobileRead have purchased from her since she will ship overseas.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #39
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
My settings don't seem to work too well. I have only one or two places (clicks) that suit my preference for indoor, nightly reading.

The Contrast is way down, 4 or 5 clicks from the left. And the Brightness is just a bit more.

See the attached image of (roughly) my settings (doing this from memory as I don't have my reader with me right now).

Do you have similar ones?
I do just about the opposite. I have the brightness turned down and the contrast up. brightness is at 1 or 2 clicks (1 for bed time and 2 for daytime indoors, the contrast is up about 4 clicks maybe 5. I like the view and the battery life is better.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #40
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
happy

I am very happy with my little EB 1150, I bought it directly from ebookwise.com

I admit its not the most fancy machine, and it doesn't play MP3's, but it has a great battery life.

For the price I think that it does a great job. I admit that the e-ink devices have a better screen, but they are alot more expensive.

Anyway I am happy with my EB 1150 and would recommend it!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #41
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I am very happy with my little EB 1150, I bought it directly from ebookwise.com

I admit its not the most fancy machine, and it doesn't play MP3's, but it has a great battery life.

For the price I think that it does a great job. I admit that the e-ink devices have a better screen, but they are alot more expensive.

Anyway I am happy with my EB 1150 and would recommend it!

Amy
I agree with them 100% !

I had originally bought the 1150 as strictly a temp machine till some of the newer devices came out.

Now im not sure you could pry it out of my hands !! .. back lit, touch screen, can take notes / make comments directly inside books ( via markups )

Decent battery life (20hours), the fact that it holds a couple of hundred books to choose from ( which when i want more varity i just swap out with what i have stored on my pc )

over all a fantastic device at a great price
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #42
Bluefrogs3

Thanks everybody !!!! I have now bought an EB 1150 and just can't wait till it is delivered.... Then the task of downloading my content to it!! Most of my stuff is in my Microsoft Reader on my pc also have a file of ebooks converted from pdf to .txt.... Any easy ways to convert to a format that the EB 1150 will except? I know there are a lot of tools and converters that will do this , but I'm not that tech. savy!! What will give me the fewest headaches to figure out?? Is there an "Easy Button" LOL.... Thanks for all your input!!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #43
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I only own two .LIT books so I'm not the best to help with that format, but what I did was remove the DRM and convert them to HTML using ConvertLit, and then convert them to IMP using Bookdesigner (as an example).

I'm sure someone who is better with LIT's will give you more detailed help then this.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #44
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
If most of your books are in Lit format ( aka MS reader )

there is a program linked here called lit2sb.

If you down load it and follow the install instructions, especially the instruction on how to associate the lit files with lit2sb.

Once installed all you have to do is double click the lit file and it will open a window and convert the lit to imp close the window and you will find the imp file in the same directory as the lit file =)

Very easy etc.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:24 AM   #45
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
I jumped in too! That Ebay seller is selling some refurbished units for $99 plus $13 shipping (that includes the 64MB card).

Let me know how you like yours, I will post back when I get mine too.

Quote:
Thanks everybody !!!! I have now bought an EB 1150 and just can't wait till it is delivered.... Then the task of downloading my content to it!! Most of my stuff is in my Microsoft Reader on my pc also have a file of ebooks converted from pdf to .txt.... Any easy ways to convert to a format that the EB 1150 will except? I know there are a lot of tools and converters that will do this , but I'm not that tech. savy!! What will give me the fewest headaches to figure out?? Is there an "Easy Button" LOL.... Thanks for all your input!!!!
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote