Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh. If you are determined to manufacture problems where none exist, there's nothing anyone can do to help you. Let me repeat, you are never going to be able to use the server as a backend for the GUI, what you do about it, is entirely up to you. I'm afraid I have wasted enough time on this.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Oh and just by the way, if you think that not having a user logged in while no-one is present somehow provides you with some meaningful security, I have some shares in a Nigerian oil company I want to sell you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You might set up a Calibre (non-admin) user logon with rights to the Library

Then Use the task scheduler to start Calibre using that ID.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:08 PM   #19
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdege View Post
Setting up the computer to log in on boot means leaving it logged in when no one is present, and that's a huge security weakness. And it assumes that there is only userid on the computer.

If my wife or kids need to use the machine, they either need to use the same login, which defeats the whole purpose of having separate logins, or they logout and log in as a different user, which shuts down Calibre.
I get up in the morning, start our Windows computer, log in to my windows account, starting calibre(and GUI server) and then lock the screen. If I forget, my account will automatically lock the screen after ten minutes. This leaves the login screen accessible and allows for users switching accounts.

My husband then logs into his account when he gets up, leaving my account still logged in and the calibre server still running. If a child later uses the computer then he or she switches to their account leaving all other accounts as they are.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #20
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
My husband then logs into his account when he gets up, leaving my account still logged in and the calibre server still running. If a child later uses the computer then he or she switches to their account leaving all other accounts as they are.
And when your husband tries to run calibre?
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 05:27 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Each user has their own calibre environment
You can't run against the same Library (same problem a Network share causes)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #22
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Each user has their own calibre environment
You can't run against the same Library (same problem a Network share causes)
That defeats the purpose - and shows why Calibre-server works as a server and running Calibre-GUI doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work that went into Calibre, and I fully understand why past design decisions might make getting the GUI to work with a running instance of the server, the way the command-line apps do, more work than is justified.

And I'm fine with shutting down the server when I run the GUI and starting it up again when I am done. As Kovid said, it's something that can be scripted and made automatic.

What I don't understand are these assertions that the GUI can be run in place of the server.

It simply can't.
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
What I don't understand are these assertions that the GUI can be run in place of the server.
Not instead, both. My UC: I use the GUI for editing at a library and the content server for browsing another library, and check series, authors and so on. Both at the same time. I know it's not the most usual use of a server, but it has made much easier my library cleaning.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #24
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Non-issue, if he wants a book he can download it from my Calibre Server using the web browser (or more likely asks me to put it on his Kobo). I maintain the family's ebook library.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #25
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
That defeats the purpose - and shows why Calibre-server works as a server and running Calibre-GUI doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work that went into Calibre, and I fully understand why past design decisions might make getting the GUI to work with a running instance of the server, the way the command-line apps do, more work than is justified.

And I'm fine with shutting down the server when I run the GUI and starting it up again when I am done. As Kovid said, it's something that can be scripted and made automatic.

It simply can't.
Have you considered hosting it on a cheap VPS rather than your home machine?
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:48 AM   #26
libertytrooper
libertytrooper doesn't litterlibertytrooper doesn't litterlibertytrooper doesn't litter

Device: iPad
To make sure I understand...

What the OP wants to do is essentially what used to be called 'briefcase mode', right?

Calibre and Calibre Server do not do this? I do not have Calibre server installed yet I've been thinking about putting it on my Drobo or ASUS). I've got a small e-book library of only about 5K books.

Everyone in my family has their own e-book collection. I am the only one starting to use Calibre.

With respect to Kovid, its his product. He can absolutely do whatever he wishes with it so I'm not going to argue about whether or not a usecase is edgecase or not. I only want to make sure I do not go down a blind alley because of an assumption.
libertytrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertytrooper View Post
Calibre and Calibre Server do not do this? I do not have Calibre server installed yet I've been thinking about putting it on my Drobo or ASUS). I've got a small e-book library of only about 5K books..
If you have Calibre installed, then the Server is there; just waiting to be configured (at minimum: enabled)

Or were you referring to porting it to your NAS?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
libertytrooper
libertytrooper doesn't litterlibertytrooper doesn't litterlibertytrooper doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Putting it on one of the NAS's. Its kind of an amorphous blob of a concept in my head. Which is why I asked the question about whether I understood the OP or not. And further questioned my own assumptions.

I suppose I envisioned it working something like Notes Server of Yore (tm) or DevonThink with DevonThink-to-go.
libertytrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #29
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
After all this, I think I'll just stick to calibre 2.x
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:00 PM   #30
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
After all this, I think I'll just stick to calibre 2.x
I love that calibre is open source and that if I really felt like it I could just fork the code and do whatever I want. You could definitely use 2.x and if you find anything you want missing take it from later code.

Of course I am too lazy to even open the github because I am a consumer-wanker. The people who develop this are absolutely the best people in the world. Open source developers are heroes!
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote