Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #151
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They should lower the price to $49. $10 off is not much of a discount; let alone a clearance price.
Especially when the silver isn't worth it when you can get the Black version with better screen for the same price.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #152
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
If you hold something up to that photo blocking off the middle part where the bezels are and just show screens together the color looks identical to me so I am thinking it is the contrast with the black bezel that makes the difference. I am still loving my KB more than I did my silver whatever the reason. :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #153
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
If you hold something up to that photo blocking off the middle part where the bezels are and just show screens together the color looks identical to me so I am thinking it is the contrast with the black bezel that makes the difference. I am still loving my KB more than I did my silver whatever the reason. :-)
If that is the case we can expect every eReader to come in the color you like -- as long as it is black.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #154
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Not to me. I put a black skin on my K4S it still looks ugh.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #155
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Here is the image that MartyD posted, with the bezels cropped out. I hope I did the attachment right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kindles_nobezel.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	93169

You can see that it's not the bezel. Next someone will say that the light source could be on the left, in that case MartyD would need to take a picture under the same lighting conditions, and reverse the two readers.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #156
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Here is the image that MartyD posted, with the bezels cropped out. I hope I did the attachment right.

Attachment 93169

You can see that it's not the bezel. Next someone will say that the light source could be on the left, in that case MartyD would need to take a picture under the same lighting conditions, and reverse the two readers.

eP
I've seen a lot of comparison photos of these two Kindles and they all show the same terrific screen improvement with the Black one. Last year there were a lot of comparison photos between K4 and K3 Kindles but there was no consistency as some showed better K3 screen while others showed better K4 screen. This time around the comparison photos consistently show the Black model to have the better screen over the Silver model.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #157
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I'm surprised Amazon is saying there is no difference. You would think they would be broadcasting the improvement.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #158
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I'm surprised Amazon is saying there is no difference. You would think they would be broadcasting the improvement.
Perhaps because they still have Silver models to liquidate and they aren't selling them at a huge discount.

EDIT: I said "liquidate" but I'm not sure that is correct. They might keep them available for those who prefer a silver bezel just like they kept the K3 available.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-01-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #159
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
My theory is that the improvement is due to a tightening in quality control at the e-ink manufacturing plant. People are reporting a similar improvement with the PRS-T2. Seems like it used to be that some e-ink screens were very white and some were very gray, and now they are only shipping out the white ones. I like to imagine a large pile of gray screens in dumpsters behind the factory, but I guess it's more likely that have improved the manufacturing such that they are all white now.

I guess Amazon can't call it an improvement when some lucky Kindle owners got a really white screen with the silver bezel.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #160
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

Attachment 93169

eP
That's exactly what I'm seeing with my black vs silver one as well.

Definitely not the bezel, as even when I compare it with my black prst1 (which i thought had the whitest screen at the time), - the new kindle is clearly more white.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #161
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Take this test:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq1...ion_shortfilms

Watch at least the first four-and-a-half minutes.

Last edited by BeeTee-Ess; 10-01-2012 at 11:53 PM.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #162
wrenn1
Addict

So, my perception was right. :-)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #163
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
So, my perception was right. :-)
I suspect so.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #164
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
OK, in the interest of science I will post this last picture and let members decide what they see. The new kindle is on the left, you have to take my word for that.
For whatever reason, I find the new kindle to have a better screen. I suggest silver owners who don't like their screen take a look at the black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925 (800x600).jpg
Views:	262
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	93231  
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #165
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Marty, that's a persuasive photo!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote