Notices

Old 01-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
hlk123
Enthusiast
hlk123 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus7(2013), KindleFireHD7, PB622, PB623, AsusMemoTabHD7
Ebook bought at GooglePlayStore

Hello

With my Nexus7(2013) I've bought an EPUB ebook at the GooglePlayStore.
But I don't get any bookfile in my tablet and I must read the ebook with GooglePlayBooks.
And I cannot be offline when I read the ebook.
I want the EPUB-file on my tablet and use other ereader like f.e. MantanoReader.
Can I? How?
Thank you.
hlk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
First, does this ebook have DRM?

If yes then getting it into Mantano is going to be a nuisance. Go to the Google Play Books website and try to download it. This link should work:
https://play.google.com/books

The file you get won't be an Epub file but more of a link file which will enable you to download the DRMed Epub file. You'll need Adobe DE to read that DRMed epub on your PC:
http://www.adobe.com/support/digital...downloads.html

I don't know specifically how to get it into Mantano, but I would start on the website:
http://www.mantano.com/mantano-reading-platform/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
surprising that you can't read your book offline. i have no problems doing that to the books i have. obviously you gotta give it time to download, but GP has worked offline for me for everything so far. you can't find the book if you try to browse through the directory structure (via USB connection) as far as i know since GP obfuscates the file.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlk123 View Post
I want the EPUB-file on my tablet and use other ereader like f.e. MantanoReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Go to the Google Play Books website and try to download it. This link should work:
https://play.google.com/books
Since it took me a while to figure out where Google Play's download link is, I'm going to guess that's where the problem is.
  1. Go to Google Play at the link above and login.
  2. Click on the "Books" tab on the left.
  3. Click on "My Books"
  4. Mouse over the book you want to download. You'll see three dots in the corner of the book. Click there.

You should see something like this:

If you need help moving on from there, let us know.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
hlk123
Enthusiast

@burnafterreading

Yes, I can read offline but when I want to change the font-size or other thing then it needs an internet connection....
My own ereaders are better than GPB. GPB has no night-mode.

@Difflugia

I'm in the GPStore ....
When I click at the "3-points-button" right-above of one of my books I see a popup window with 3 points:
o delete download
o remove from the library
o about this book

Nothing about download EPUB or PDF ...
What should I do?
Thanks.

Last edited by hlk123; 01-23-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@burnafterreading

Yes, I can read offline but when I want to change the font-size or other thing then it needs an internet connection....
My own ereaders are better than GPB. GPB has no night-mode.
that's genuinely weird. my GPB is set to be in night mode all the time (white text, black background) so every book it opens it defaults to that mode, and resizing is something i can do without any issues whether my wifi is on or off.

why your GPB doesn't behave like it should might be worth investigating. update? 3rd-party version?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
burnafterreading
Groupie

Quote:
I'm in the GPStore ....
When I click at the "3-points-button" right-above of one of my books I see a popup window with 3 points:
o delete download
o about this book

What should I do?
Thanks.
try that from your computer (a firefox tab, or a chrome tab), NOT from your tablet.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
You should be able to "pin" the book on your device. But this will only give you the ability to read it offline using Play Books, not another book reading app, as far as I know.

For that you will have to get in to the gray area of the law/internet.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm in the GPStore ....
o delete download
o about this book

What should I do?
Thanks.
I don't know. I've never seen a Google book that didn't have at least one of the download options. I remember reading that Google can make parts of your library inaccessible if you cross borders. Did you buy the book with an account registered in a country other than your current physical location, maybe?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnafterreading View Post
try that from your computer (a firefox tab, or a chrome tab), NOT from your tablet.
I didn't think of that. The steps I gave above assume you're on a computer.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Since it took me a while to figure out where Google Play's download link is, I'm going to guess that's where the problem is.
  1. Go to Google Play at the link above and login.
  2. Click on the "Books" tab on the left.
  3. Click on "My Books"
  4. Mouse over the book you want to download. You'll see three dots in the corner of the book. Click there.

If you need help moving on from there, let us know.
Thanks for adding more detail. I should have done that.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #12
hlk123
Enthusiast

@burnafterreading

Now I am at my Dell Laptop and have downloaded from GooglePlayStore the bookfile named xxx_for-epub.acsm.
What next, please?
What is the ending ACSM?
Thank you

In internet I find this information:
"The .acsm file isn't the book - it a purchase ticket that allows you to download the book.
In Digital Editions you can find the path to the book in the Item Info dialog. You can bring up the Item Info dialog from the Reading Menu (in Reading View) or pressing Ctrl+I (Cmd+I on the Mac).
"
What can I do with this information & the ACSM-file?

Last edited by hlk123; 01-23-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #13
hlk123
Enthusiast

Hi all

I've now an EPUB file in my tablet....!

That was a convolute way to get an EPUB file from GooglePlayStore -> Firefox -> Laptop -> .acsm file -> Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 -> EPUB-file -> Calibre -> Tablet.

Thank you ...
Old 01-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
burnafterreading
Groupie

books that have DRM typically have to go through the Adobe Digital Editions process like you went through. non-DRM books are direct EPUB downloads.

back to your Google Play though - why is it not allowing you night mode??? which version are you on, and should you update? or possibly roll back? the stuff should work right to begin with.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #15
hlk123
Enthusiast

After updating GPB .. now with GooglePlayBooks I can (in night mode) read an EPUB ebook... offline.
Phew ...