Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Flea Market

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #31
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
BetePok - unfortunately you had to learn the hard way how horrible PayPal is. they also lie about their "buyer protection". Pretty much PayPal offers no protection for you specially outside of eBay. For some items when you buy them on eBay they hold the funds for 21 days while seller ships the goods to buyer. with forums and other online places you get 0 protection. Just remember this: Always pay for PayPal transactions with your credit card. this way if you get same response that you received from paypal, you can file a charge back on your credit card. Credit card companies have strict rules about fraud and they will most likely find in your favor and will issue a charge back against PayPal. this way PayPal will be stuck with non paying user and you will get your money back. PayPal is a horrible company when it comes to user protection. they just don't care, as long as they get their fees they don't care about anything else.

Alex
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #32
BeTePoK
Guru
BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
BetePok - unfortunately you had to learn the hard way how horrible PayPal is. they also lie about their "buyer protection". Pretty much PayPal offers no protection for you specially outside of eBay. For some items when you buy them on eBay they hold the funds for 21 days while seller ships the goods to buyer. with forums and other online places you get 0 protection. Just remember this: Always pay for PayPal transactions with your credit card. this way if you get same response that you received from paypal, you can file a charge back on your credit card. Credit card companies have strict rules about fraud and they will most likely find in your favor and will issue a charge back against PayPal. this way PayPal will be stuck with non paying user and you will get your money back. PayPal is a horrible company when it comes to user protection. they just don't care, as long as they get their fees they don't care about anything else.

Alex
Thanks for the info, Alex. But I do not have PP account, all payments were made by my german friend because PayPal doesn't operate with my country, so I do not know how he sent the payment, using CC or account money. Now I'm considering to protect myself: send money by parts (50% pre-pay, 50% after I get the tracking number), or ask for a photo of reader with a sticker, on which seller will have to write given word or phrase, for example, my username. At least I will know that the seller actualle has the reader...

Happy New Year ALL!
BeTePoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #33
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Wanted to post because Ive dealt with similar things like this regarding hddvd and bluray movies. Sorry to hear this happened to you. I had something similar happen with someone in Canada. And while I didn't get my money back eventually the guy was prosecuted. I suggest finding out what town the IP originates and as much information as you can and then go to your local authorities and talking to them. Its internet fraud and there is usually an avenue for this kind of thing to be handled. It might take a year but it least it will be on record.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:28 AM   #34
BeTePoK
Guru
BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeTePoK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info, Guns4Fire, but I gave up with it.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #35
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
Always pay for PayPal transactions with your credit card. this way if you get same response that you received from paypal, you can file a charge back on your credit card. Credit card companies have strict rules about fraud and they will most likely find in your favor and will issue a charge back against PayPal.
You are correct credit card companies have strict rules about fraud. However, in this case the credit card company (at least in the USA) will most likely rule in PayPals favor. As far as the credit card company is concerned it was an authorized and legitimate charge to the user's account by PayPal. PayPal did not commit fraud and was authorized by the client to make the charge to their account. The credit card providers responsibility stops at PayPal and does not extend further.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This "Sale" is marked "Ended" due to irregularities by the seller - unless/until the seller offers an explanation that is satisfactory.

The seller, Lailoske, has not responded to inquiries from the buyer.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-20-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I guess the real lesson here is never send money to MobileRead members with only 3 posts and 10 Karma. They fit the pattern of spammers.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #38
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
And PayPal is owned by eBay!
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #39
BeTePoK
Guru

Payapl continue to ignore my emails...
Maybe if many PP account owners write email to them accordin my problem - it may speed up things a little?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #40
wbf1980
wbf1980 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
I had a similar problem here in Australia for a phone I bought via ebay using my paypal account. I had put money onto my paypal account using my Visa card.

I went through ebay and they basically painted me to be the asshole and that I should know better.

I then went to my credit union and told them what had happened and what paypal had done and they contacted Visa who pursued paypal directly.

The case officer at the Credit Union said it would take about 4 weeks and sure enough it was done. Visa pursued paypal and then I assume paypal boned the fraudster.

I will never use paypal again, which certainly makes things hard!
wbf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #41
Philflow
Philflow began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I always thought Paypal buyer protection works but this thread left me confused.

I'm not fully getting it, so Paypal buyer protection does not work or does it?

And if I pay through creditcard - paypal will that be safe?

Or do I always need to make it an Ebay transaction to make it safe?
Philflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #42
gecko666
gecko666 began at the beginning.

Device: none
AFAIK if it's an ebay transaction then the buyer is covered 100%, at least if you see the sign with the item you want to buy.

Otherwise pay with CC, if Paypal screws up do a chargeback, the CC company would almost always side with you. Happened to me before where the scammer successfully withdrew the fund before I could file a complaint and the CC company gave back every cent.
gecko666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #43
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Does MR have a way to identify the guy's IP address?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, we do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #45
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, we do.
If anything maybe we can keep his IP on record and check out any new people's IP that try to sell an item.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote