Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #181
RicardoAbreu
RicardoAbreu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Hello, everyone. I'm new here, so please forgive any mistakes related to your standard "I'm annoyed" posting procedures...

Quick question: is it possible to purchase B&N eBooks from outside the US, using an international Credit Card?

The reason I ask is actually quite bizarre. Though it seems to me that online purchases (especially the ones related to download-based "goods") don't really need any physical counterpart, our friends at B&N apparently feel otherwise. I sent them an e-mail a couple of weeks ago inquiring about the possibility of using the Nook's 3G internationally, and what I got as a response was a statement that it was not possible for them to sell Nook and eBooks to international costumers.

OK, I can understand the lack of international shipping for the actual device, but the eBooks? Well... Is that really accurate?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo

(I'm in Brazil, btw)
RicardoAbreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #182
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoAbreu View Post
Hello, everyone. I'm new here, so please forgive any mistakes related to your standard "I'm annoyed" posting procedures...

Quick question: is it possible to purchase B&N eBooks from outside the US, using an international Credit Card?

The reason I ask is actually quite bizarre. Though it seems to me that online purchases (especially the ones related to download-based "goods") don't really need any physical counterpart, our friends at B&N apparently feel otherwise. I sent them an e-mail a couple of weeks ago inquiring about the possibility of using the Nook's 3G internationally, and what I got as a response was a statement that it was not possible for them to sell Nook and eBooks to international costumers.

OK, I can understand the lack of international shipping for the actual device, but the eBooks? Well... Is that really accurate?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo

(I'm in Brazil, btw)
You can buy books on your PC.
You need to register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. You can use any valid US address, just google something.
The billing address is not verified with the credit card company, so this will work fine.
You need to install an VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8,50) to get an US IP-address.

Before buying books start the VPN, than go to the B&N website and buy the books. If your Nook has a Wifi connection you can download the books to the Nook by choosing "Check for new B&N content" on your Nook, otherwise use the USB connection.

If you want to buy a Nook use a mailforwarding address from a company like USunlocked. Use that address as the US address in the workaround described above and start the VPN before buying the Nook.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #183
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
It has to do with publishing territories. They are not allowed to sell outside the US, except for certain titles. Most people get around it by putting some random US address for the shipping address. Since nothing is ever shipped...

You may get hung up on credit card authorization, in which case you may need to contact your card issuer and let them know you have an alterative authorized address in the US.

So far I haven't bought anything from B&N, but I have downlaoded several of their free books (which also need a US shipping address). Just google for the address of a hotel or something. I used the Hilton in Las Vegas as my address and now I can download the free books.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #184
RicardoAbreu

Thanks for your help.

I just managed to buy an eBook from B&N, and didn't even need to use a proxy.

Also, I don't plan on buying a Nook until January, when I'll be in NY for a few days. But thanks for the tip anyway.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #185
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was also able to buy a book no problem using my Canadian credit card (with a fake US address). It didn't seem to need to verify my address with Visa before processing the card. I'm not sure if it's because I already used to card before (for a free book), and so the card was now 'trusted' even though I hadn't spent any money with it...
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 AM   #186
bean
Enthusiast
bean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I am using two accounts, one has a valid Canadian billing address and that's the account I use to buy gift cards that I send myself living in the USA this way even if they verify the billing address, it matches.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #187
RicardoAbreu

Quote:
Thanks for your help.

I just managed to buy an eBook from B&N, and didn't even need to use a proxy.

Also, I don't plan on buying a Nook until January, when I'll be in NY for a few days. But thanks for the tip anyway.
Oh, got your point, though.

Being in US is not a requirement to purchase an ebook, but it is required to download one. That is probably due to those location restrictions mentioned before, and thanks for that tip.

I would have never guessed I had to use a VPN, and my ISP would probably be getting and angry call by now...
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #188
EricDP
Groupie

Quote:
Being in US is not a requirement to purchase an ebook, but it is required to download one.
I've had the opposite experience. Just last week I purchased a book from B&N using a US physical address and downloaded to a Canadian IP address. The credit card is actually Canadian, but I put a bogus US address as the billing address because it told me I couldn't buy it outside the US. I just finished reading the book, so I'd say it worked.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #189
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
I've had the opposite experience. Just last week I purchased a book from B&N using a US physical address and downloaded to a Canadian IP address. The credit card is actually Canadian, but I put a bogus US address as the billing address because it told me I couldn't buy it outside the US. I just finished reading the book, so I'd say it worked.
Because a small number of books at B&N are available for Canada, Canadian IP addresses are allowed. That is why people from Canada only need an US address, not an VPN.

The geo-restrictions are only active when buying books. You can download books that have been bought anywhere in the world (this is clearly stated in the Nook manual and the support FAQ).
Old 10-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #190
EricDP
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Because a small number of books at B&N are available for Canada, Canadian IP addresses are allowed. That is why people from Canada only need an US address, not an VPN.
The book in question was available to USA only.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #191
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
The book in question was available to USA only.
The IP address check is not tied to the books. An IP address has access to all of the books, or none of the books.
Because Canadian IP address have to be able to buy some of the books, they have access to all of the books.
The shipping and billing address check is supposed to make it impossible for Canadians to buy US-only books.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #192
rwe
Enthusiast
rwe began at the beginning.

Device: ipod sony
nook application for IPAD outside US?

i buy B&N books with the method discussed above,
but i can't download the Nook application for the IPAD from the apple store without a US adress and a US creditcard.
the European apple stores don't offer the application although it is for free.
any suggestions?

regards, Rene
rwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 AM   #193
ozlady
ozlady began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry, i am new here and also first time to buy a e-book reader. I read all the post here but still don't understand. how can i buy a nook color from Australia, what all said here use USA address to register, but if i use USA address to register then how they ship the Nook Color to my Australia address??
ozlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #194
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlady View Post
Sorry, i am new here and also first time to buy a e-book reader. I read all the post here but still don't understand. how can i buy a nook color from Australia, what all said here use USA address to register, but if i use USA address to register then how they ship the Nook Color to my Australia address??
If you want to buy the Nook, you need to use a US mail forwarding address from from sites like Borderlinx or USunlocked.
B&N ships the Nook to your US mail forwarding address. The mail forwarding company (Borderlinx or USunlocked) will ship the Nook from the US to your Australian address.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #195
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
i buy B&N books with the method discussed above,
but i can't download the Nook application for the IPAD from the apple store without a US adress and a US creditcard.
the European apple stores don't offer the application although it is for free.
any suggestions?
Create a second iTunes account, in the US store. You don't need to specify a payment method. On the iPad, go to the iTunes store, sign out as you normal email address and sign in as the new account, it will send you to the US iTunes store. You can then download the nook app. Then sign out and back in as your normal account. You can have apps owned by multiple accounts on the iPad at the same time. You will need to switch to the new account again to download any updates to the nook app, but you can run it as your normal account.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas