Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
itzmeigh
Enthusiast
itzmeigh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sony Library compared to Amazon's Library

How do they honestly compare? Does Amazon (Kindle) really have that many more books? I know that several people here don't use Sony's library at all. But assuming that you aren't interested in converting books yourself. and you are trying to pick between the Sony line or the Kindle line. Would the Kindle's library really win you over?

If there is a thread that discusses this already please feel free to point me that way! Any other links that might help post them too!
itzmeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Sony Store = David
Amazon Store = Goliath

Caveat - David doesn't win this fight.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I think it depends on what you read. For fiction Amazon still has a bit of a lead on selection, but I don't think it's by as much anymore. For non-fiction I'm not sure, but I think Amazon might have a good lead.

For price Amazon used to win most of the time, but Sony's done a good job of countering. Some books I've checked were cheaper at Amazon, some were cheaper at Sony.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Amazon is stomping the bejesus out of Sony in terms of non-fiction and older books.

For newer fiction it's about the same with Amazon generally being a few bucks cheaper per book.

And, of course, ignore all obscenely large numbers that are really just public domain titles.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Even if you don't want to convert books, it seems that most ebook stores and publishers outside of Amazon are moving towards the EPUB format. This works very well in Sony's advantage since they have been supporting EPUBs for a while. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure if you tallied up all the books in Sony Connect and other stores selling EPUBs it would probably be a lot more than Amazon's total. Amazon does still have a big advantage in their library size and the fact that all these books are easily available from a single site.

In the long run though, I think a more open format like EPUB will win and Amazon will probably be forced to adopt it too. At least I hope that is the case. Their lack of support for other formats also hurts any chance they have of targeting a global audience and I think that is something that can possibly have negative repercussions at a later point in time when a bulk of non US ebook enthusiasts have already built up brand loyalty towards some other brand.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I don't know that I'd call the Sony Store "David" considering they have all those Google books available.

Besides, the Sony devices will use any EPUB or LRF book from any site.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I don't know that I'd call the Sony Store "David" considering they have all those Google books available.

Besides, the Sony devices will use any EPUB or LRF book from any site.
And that's a plus for a reader. Kindle will more or less tie you to Amazon, Sony, on the other hand...
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I am staying w/ the Sony because of epub - but the Amazon search and suggested read features for me are much better.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:15 AM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The Sony wins hands down because it is available in pink
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:32 AM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I started tracking Sony's offerings two years ago and have on a couple of occasions tried to make a careful comparison of them with Amazon. The thread is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16810

Basically, the total number of ebooks (not blogs or newspapers and being careful to avoid duplicates) is well more than two to one in favor of Amazon and that ratio is steadily increasing. If you pick a particular subject or genre, you're much more likely to find what you want at Amazon that at Sony. Where the difference is the smallest is for new titles where the two vendors seem to be more closely matched.

It's hard to make a general statement but I'm frequently annoyed by finding a title I want to read that is available for the Amazon Kindle but not for the Sony Reader.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The comparison is much simpler for europeans, the kindle now has access to some books there and the sony has zero, so an even clearer win for them and I just wish that sony would take advantage of the time they have while the kindle only has this soft launch to implement their own store outside north america because the combination of a sony store in addition to the existing stores would present a much more competitive opposition.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote