Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-11-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ibiblio.org Internet Library

"Home to one of the largest "collections of collections" on the Internet, ibiblio.org is a conservancy of freely available information, including software, music, literature, art, history, science, politics, and cultural studies. ibiblio.org is a collaboration of the Center for the Public Domain and The University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill."

It's part of UNC's efforts to develop an online library and archives. The library doesn't appear to have much in the way of etexts, focusing on audio/video archives instead. Oddly, the search engine doesn't seem to be very effective. I even did a search on words from a title I found, and the search engine couldn't find it. I did see all kinds of technical videos and MovieTone and NASA clips (e.g. from the Apollo missions.) Looks like a very interesting complement to sites like Project Gutenberg and Archive.org.

"The average municipal public library receives a few hundred visitors a week. ibiblio.org averages 3 million information requests per day, and the contributor-maintained collections are expanding daily. A free and vibrant exchange of ideas among a large community of contributors who share their knowledge across disciplines, ibiblio.org uses the open source model to encourage users to help shape the way information is managed and accessed in the 21st century." More at http://www.ibiblio.org/about.html

A couple of the fun items I've found with a quick look (but haven't tried yet) are:
Classic Television Commercials (Part II)
A Date With Your Family
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote