Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
ctkindle
ctkindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Content Return Policy

Hi!

According to
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200144510

, Kindle content can be returned for free for 7 days. What keeps unscrupulous users from getting all their books for free... as long as they can finish them in 7 days and don't want to look at them again once they're finished?

C
ctkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctkindle View Post
Hi!

According to
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200144510

, Kindle content can be returned for free for 7 days. What keeps unscrupulous users from getting all their books for free... as long as they can finish them in 7 days and don't want to look at them again once they're finished?

C
Nothing, but I'm sure if there were a pattern of continual returns, Amazon would shut them off... permanently.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I've heard that you can't return once you've read past some percentage of the book.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I've heard that you can't return once you've read past some percentage of the book.
But the only way they can verify that is the use of the associated file (.mbp or .mhp or whatever it was), right? So if you get the book, turn off wireless, read the book and then delete the .mbp file before turning wireless back on and asking to return the book, then how would they verify how much you read?

I agree that they will probably keep track of a pattern of returns too. If you return too much or too often they will probably refuse.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
What then is to stop someone from purchasing an AZW eBook from Amazon, stripping the DRM and then returning it? Can Amazon see what is being read if it has no DRM?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How about "the fact that it would be wrong to do so"? I think that most people are fundamentally honest.

I've only ever once requesed a refund on an eBook - a Penguin book I'd bought from BoB which was literally unreadable, its formatting was so awful. To their credit, BoB had a look at it, agreed that it was horrendous, and refunded the price immediately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Amazon accepts physical returns, too, and someone could theoretically read a paper book (carefully, so as not to show wear), then return it. I think the good will generated by this kind of policy is worth the minor risks to them.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I've only returned one book, but I'd read a substantial amount. But toward the end there were a number documents in picture format that were too small to read and no way to enlarge them and it was annoying enough for me to return the book.

So there's definitely no 'percentage of the book read'.

But I'm not too worried about it being abused. Most of the large bookstores in the US offer an even more generous return policy (14-30 days, depending on the store) - so it's not unusual.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!