Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The new Kindle Fires have a locked bootloader

We are going through the software updates for the new Kindle Fires at the moment in the XDA IRC channel for the KF. And like it was speculated earlier, they have a locked bootloader.

HOWEVER, there are two different flash references, apparently an engineer version and then a production one. So they're what's being looked into now.

Think we'll be rooted before the new KFs even get into people's hands at this point.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Regardless of not being rooted on the original Fire, one could install Go Launcher Ex and it worked.

One cannot do that now, right?
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Regardless of not being rooted on the original Fire, one could install Go Launcher Ex and it worked.

You should be able to as long as the ability to sideload apps still exists.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, should be no issue with GoLauncher or any of the other non-root hacks. Technically you could still root it actually, you just can't put a different ROM for now.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if I can buy the KFHD, try it to decide, if I like like it enough then bring in my original to BB and they will credit my KFHD purchase for the $75 trade-in then?

I hate to give up my original which works with Flash, alternate launcher and everything else I'm satisfied with WITHOUT even rooting it.
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

Amazon won't let you open other home screen apps on the new KFHD:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...nt-constantly/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
robertc88
Fanatic

Not a big issue for lots of people who just use stock and the carousel.

Me? Well it is a strike against. Just another task for xda to find a workaround but we'll see I guess.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yeah, should be no issue with GoLauncher or any of the other non-root hacks. Technically you could still root it actually, you just can't put a different ROM for now.
I couldn't get Go Launcher running on mine. I'll need to dig a little deeper. Couldn't get Dolphin web browser to run reliably.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I couldn't get Go Launcher running on mine. I'll need to dig a little deeper. Couldn't get Dolphin web browser to run reliably.
What version of Dolphin and what was your resource for it?

Try 8.8.1 from 1mobile unless you already have.

Last edited by robertc88; 09-17-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
What version of Dolphin and what was your resource for it?

Try 8.8.1 from 1mobile unless you already have.
I had previously tried 8.7 from GetJar. 8.8.1 from 1Mobile works.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Go Launcher will probably never work.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
Wizard

And we have root! ... Amazon didn't fix the previous vulnerability that enabled it.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
And we have root! ... Amazon didn't fix the previous vulnerability that enabled it.
That sounds like it is Gold positive!

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Is an alternate launcher going to be possible without rooting?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
On the old Fire, would root be destroyed when updates came? Similar to Android phones?

I have everything all setup to root my Fire HD but I want the FreeTime for kids thing that Amazon is releasing in October.
I don't want to install several Google Apps and stuff only to have them crap out after the October update.

At least things are moving along....I don't mind if the bootloader remains locked but it would be nice to run regular Android and Google apps on the Fire.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote