Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
What happens to the original file during conversion.

Lately I've been downloading PDFs and converting them to epubs. Is the file converted from PDF to epub, or is the original saved and a new copy made which is the epub file?

Also is there a way that new converted files show up in a certain category so they are easy to find.
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
The original file is not touched or changed in any way. It's just used as the source document for the conversion.

There isn't any easy way to do exactly the filter you want, but if you've been converting from pdf you could do something like this:
Code:
format:pdf and format:epub
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
domromer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
The original file is not touched or changed in any way. It's just used as the source document for the conversion.

There isn't any easy way to do exactly the filter you want, but if you've been converting from pdf you could do something like this:
Code:
format:pdf and format:epub

I'm still pretty new to all this. Where do I add the code? What will it do?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You put that in the search box. It will show you all books that include both pdf AND epub formats.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
domromer
Enthusiast

Ok so this brings up another question. When I convert a book to epub I then go find it in the main book list and then export it to my sony reader. How to I know if I'm sending the newly converted epub or the original pdf file?
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
Ok so this brings up another question. When I convert a book to epub I then go find it in the main book list and then export it to my sony reader. How to I know if I'm sending the newly converted epub or the original pdf file?
Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device Interface Plugins - Sony. Customize this plugin, you will see the priority list for what file format will be sent to the device first. Epub should be at the top by default.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you look in Calibre, it will list both your original file in it's original format and your conversion. It just takes a copy of it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
Lately I've been downloading PDFs and converting them to epubs. Is the file converted from PDF to epub, or is the original saved and a new copy made which is the epub file?

Also is there a way that new converted files show up in a certain category so they are easy to find.
In addition to using format:epub, look at the left pane of the Calibre window, select "Formats" and click on any format there to bring up the list of those types of books.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote