Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Nadrek
Nadrek began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-650
Calibre 0.7.22, Empty eBooks not saved on Save to disk?

First, thank you for the bulk ISBN lookup feature; that's incredibly useful.

I've been using Add Books->Add from ISBN and Add Empty book to use Calibre to catalog my paper library with metadata; unfortunately, when I attempt to save my library to disk, it appears Metadata-only books are not saved at all. No directory whatsoever is created for them, and no error or warning is produced.

How do I back up the list of my paperbacks and their metadata, to move them between Calibre installations or to survive a hard drive crash?

Secondarily, can I get my Sony PRS-650 to recognize them, so when I'm at a bookstore, I know what I do and do not have?
Nadrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadrek View Post
...can I get my Sony PRS-650 to recognize them, so when I'm at a bookstore, I know what I do and do not have?
You can use the Catalog feature (drop down menu on Convert button) to create a full list of your books as an EPUB which you can keep on your Sony.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think the metadata.db file probably has all the metadata in it and is a fairly small file
Best practice AFAIK is to back up the entire library by copying it or archiving it.
Also there is a new backup procedure that creates .opf files qhich I assume are used if your database becomes corrupted
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I think the metadata.db file probably has all the metadata in it and is a fairly small file
Best practice AFAIK is to back up the entire library by copying it or archiving it.
Also there is a new backup procedure that creates .opf files qhich I assume are used if your database becomes corrupted
Helen
Just as a remark: Backing up only metadata.db and then restoring it after having made changes in the library may (read: will most certainly) result in inconsistencies between the database and the library folders. Best practice, as has been noted, is indeed to backup the entire library.
If memory serves, the discussion I was talking about spawned the OPF backup scheme.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote