Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
distantsmoke
distantsmoke began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505; Kindle 2
Question Totally confused and Thank you!

First the good folks in this forum have already saved my Sony PRS 505 LC twice, so thank you! I've only had it a week, so I am still figuring things out. None of the following questions are life or death. And I apologize for my "newbie" ignorance. But I would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on the following issues.

Second, a few things have me totally confused.
1. I manage my eReader through the Sony eBook Store software. What is Sony CONNECT? Do I need it? Do I want it?

2. Syncing. How is it done? I have seen comments about a sync button. But my PRS 505 LC doesn't seem to have one. Either hardware or software.

3. I used the Sony eBook Store to build collections on my eReader. After deleting them in the Bookstore, they are still on my eReader. How do I get rid of them? All the collections show "No Book".

4. I have gone to "Settings" "Restore Defaults" a couple of times in an effort to get rid the the collections on my Reader. Nothing seems to change and the collections are still there. Is that normal?

5. I have several books in .pdb format. Is there a way to see them on my eReader? I tried importing them through the Bookstore software, but they don't show up in my library.

6. I have also pushed the reset button on the back with a pin (when I was trying to solve one of the problems I encountered) and again, nothing seems to change. What should have happened?

Thank you all. And a particular thanks to those folks in the forum who are willing to help out folks like me.

I'm including pictures of my Reader just in case....(so you can see just what I have)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0070.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	24118   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0071.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	24119   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0072.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	24120  

Last edited by distantsmoke; 02-21-2009 at 08:31 PM.
distantsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Distantsmoke, and while I can't help you with your problems, someone else here surely will.

Enjoy the learning process.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by distantsmoke View Post
1. I manage my eReader through the Sony eBook Store software. What is Sony CONNECT? Do I need it? Do I want it?
Oops. I think I still call it CONNECT. When I got my 500, the software was called CONNECT. After an upgrade - or the 505 - I can't remember for sure - it was renamed to Sony eBook Library.

Quote:
2. Syncing. How is it done? I have seen comments about a sync button. But my PRS 505 LC doesn't seem to have one. Either hardware or software.
Syncing is done with the Reader hooked up to the Sony eBook Library program. I would recommend using it carefully, though! I ended up with duplicates in the Collections I made. I only have it turned on for the "Purchased" folder.

One of the other members may have good (short) instructions, but all I can tell you is I used the instructions in the eBook Library help - "Synchronizing Content with Reader".

Quote:
3. I used the Sony eBook Store to build collections on my eReader. After deleting them in the Bookstore, they are still on my eReader. How do I get rid of them? All the collections show "No Book".
Ummm...okay, I think this question and the others will have to be answered by one of the other members...I'm thinking the "Sync" function might be your answer to #3, though.

Good luck!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
For the collection question- you should be able to click the collection icon (under your Reader icon) and delete it.

Just so you're clear though. When you open your eBook library, there's a section for your Library and then, if your Reader is connected, a section for what is actually on your Reader. Unless they are synced, if you delete something from your Library it will not delete from your Reader, or vice versa. I don't recommend deleting books from your Library. I also don't recommend sync, especially if you want to use collections. You set that up through the software though.

The reset- you might not have held it down long enough. Just to make sure, are you closing the software before you disconnect your Reader?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
distantsmoke

FizzyWater, Thanks for the help. But there doesn't seem to be a sync button in my eBook Store either. I have looked (with my eyes), I have done a search and I still can't see it. I have also tried to follow the syncing instructions in help. Unfortunately nothing there makes any sense to me.
It says: Click "Sync" on "Reader," "Memory Stick on Reader" / "SD Card on Reader" or "Memory Stick on PC" / "SD Card on PC" in the Source view.

The View area is switched to the Sync preferences view. The folders of the Library and sub-items appear.

There is no sync button on my reader.
I don't know what they mean by "Source view". Nothing on my reader or in the bookstore is labeled source view.

When I right click on my reader in the left most panel of the bookstore "sync" is not an option.

I can go to "Edit" "Preferences". That opens a box with 2 options.
1. Merge all notes when syncing with PRS device.
2. Check for updates automatically.

I have both those boxes checked, but as far as I can tell, again, nothing is changing. No folders or subfolders of the library appear.

So the "Help" doesn't make any sense to me since it doesn't match what I am seeing.

I am attaching some screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eBookstore1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	24123   Click image for larger version

Name:	eBookstore2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	24124  
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

It's somewhere around there, I just don't know where. Is there any particular reason you want it? The only reason I ask is that a majority of the people who use this get really frustrated.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
distantsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, Distantsmoke, and while I can't help you with your problems, someone else here surely will.

Enjoy the learning process.

Thank you for the welcome! This is my first electronic book. I've been waiting for a color version, but my books have finally driven me out of the majority of my living space, and the price had reached a point where I didn't feel too bad for buying the device.

I am looking forward to getting some "reaL' books to the local library so maybe I can do some cleaning.

I have been enjoying playing with my eReader, and I am looking forward to carrying more than 100 books with me on my next business trip.
As opposed to the 2 or 3 I usually allow myself.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
FizzyWater, Thanks for the help. But there doesn't seem to be a sync button in my eBook Store either. I have looked (with my eyes), I have done a search and I still can't see it. I have also tried to follow the syncing instructions in help. Unfortunately nothing there makes any sense to me.
It says: Click "Sync" on "Reader," "Memory Stick on Reader" / "SD Card on Reader" or "Memory Stick on PC" / "SD Card on PC" in the Source view.

The View area is switched to the Sync preferences view. The folders of the Library and sub-items appear.

There is no sync button on my reader.

<snip!>

I am attaching some screenshots.
Okay, I'm going to try to answer this without hooking up my reader (I'm in the middle of a book and don't want to wait for the reader to re-index 700 books!)

But in your screenshot, I can see "Reader" and just to the left of it, there's a little triangle/arrow. Click on that arrow. I think it'll drop down a menu - including the Reader-level collections LJ was talking about - and I think the Sync function is there. If it's not, post here or send me a Private Message and I'll hook up the Reader and see what I can see!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
distantsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
For the collection question- you should be able to click the collection icon (under your Reader icon) and delete it.

Just so you're clear though. When you open your eBook library, there's a section for your Library and then, if your Reader is connected, a section for what is actually on your Reader. Unless they are synced, if you delete something from your Library it will not delete from your Reader, or vice versa. I don't recommend deleting books from your Library. I also don't recommend sync, especially if you want to use collections. You set that up through the software though.

The reset- you might not have held it down long enough. Just to make sure, are you closing the software before you disconnect your Reader?
Thank you sooo much!!

I have been highlighting "Library" (in the eBookstore) and I could see the different subfolders.

This time I highlighted my "Reader" and clicked the Big Plus button at the bottom left of the screen, and voila, all the subfolders on my Reader appeared!! I hadn't known about this. I kept wondering how people were seeing subfolders in their Reader.

Once before I had clicked on the down arrow next to my Reader and it disappeared from the eBookstore. Sad to say it took me about 15 min to figure out how to get it back. So I think I became wary of highlighting my Reader and doing anything else.

I am still unsure about the whole "sync" thing, but maybe (now that you have shone (shined??) a light into my muddled brain) I won't need it.

Thank you!!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you sooo much!!

I have been highlighting "Library" (in the eBookstore) and I could see the different subfolders.

This time I highlighted my "Reader" and clicked the Big Plus button at the bottom left of the screen, and voila, all the subfolders on my Reader appeared!! I hadn't known about this. I kept wondering how people were seeing subfolders in their Reader.

Once before I had clicked on the down arrow next to my Reader and it disappeared from the eBookstore. Sad to say it took me about 15 min to figure out how to get it back. So I think I became wary of highlighting my Reader and doing anything else.

I am still unsure about the whole "sync" thing, but maybe (now that you have shone (shined??) a light into my muddled brain) I won't need it.

Thank you!!
Glad to be of assistance Do you know how to drag and drop the files to the Reader?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
distantsmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Okay, I'm going to try to answer this without hooking up my reader (I'm in the middle of a book and don't want to wait for the reader to re-index 700 books!)

But in your screenshot, I can see "Reader" and just to the left of it, there's a little triangle/arrow. Click on that arrow. I think it'll drop down a menu - including the Reader-level collections LJ was talking about - and I think the Sync function is there. If it's not, post here or send me a Private Message and I'll hook up the Reader and see what I can see!
When I highlighted "Reader" in the left most panel and then clicked the Big Plus button at the bottom left of the screen all those subfolders finally showed up. And now I see the "Sync" button there as well.

Now a lot of what I have been reading in the forum that was confusing is making sense.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me figure this out. Sometimes the simplest things just aren't always obvious. Or maybe it's just me.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
distantsmoke

Quote:
Glad to be of assistance Do you know how to drag and drop the files to the Reader?
Yes, I do.

I really do appreciate your help. It was the part where you said "Just to be sure your clear.." that finally clicked it for me.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
When I highlighted "Reader" in the left most panel and then clicked the Big Plus button at the bottom left of the screen all those subfolders finally showed up. And now I see the "Sync" button there as well.

Now a lot of what I have been reading in the forum that was confusing is making sense.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me figure this out. Sometimes the simplest things just aren't always obvious. Or maybe it's just me.
Don't worry about it While we are training you, if you are interesting in downloading the books here on MR (sorry if you've figured this out already), here's how to do it. Go up to the top of this screen, click ebooks, select "Sony Reader" and all the books will show up. Browse, find what you want (there will be multiple version for each, I usually choose LRF), save it somewhere, then open your eBook Library, click File, then Import File, select it from wherever you saved it (I made a folder on my desktop for easiness) and tada! It's in your library.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
distantsmoke

Quote:
Don't worry about it While we are training you, if you are interesting in downloading the books here on MR (sorry if you've figured this out already), here's how to do it. Go up to the top of this screen, click ebooks, select "Sony Reader" and all the books will show up. Browse, find what you want (there will be multiple version for each, I usually choose LRF), save it somewhere, then open your eBook Library, click File, then Import File, select it from wherever you saved it (I made a folder on my desktop for easiness) and tada! It's in your library.
Thank you again! I had looked at that section, but I hadn't taken the time to figure it out yet.

I once had to give away 55 boxes of books because I no longer had room for them. I can't wait to fill up my electronic Library.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
FizzyWater

Quote:
Oh, no problem at all! Glad to help. I think most software designers think their software is "intuitive" and requires little assistance. But they forget they've been living-and-breathing that software for a long time and what's obvious to them is not always obvious to a new users. Especially if that new user isn't a software designer themselves.

Tags
prs-505, questions, thank you