Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Change Screensaver Timeout (how long before sleeps)

These are simple Launchpad scripts which change when the Kindle goes to sleep and the screensaver on the Kindle starts. The default is '10 mins'.

Here are my scripts. I actually have several set to Launchpad shortcuts, from 15 minutes to 120 minutes:

screensaver_timeout.ini
Code:
[Actions]
; Screensaver Timeout
S A = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/screensaver_timeout_15.sh
S B = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/screensaver_timeout_20.sh
S C = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/screensaver_timeout_30.sh
S D = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/screensaver_timeout_45.sh
S E = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/screensaver_timeout_60.sh
S F = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/screensaver_timeout_90.sh
S G = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/screensaver_timeout_120.sh
S X = !source /mnt/us/launchpad/screensaver_timeout_reset.sh
screensaver_timeout_15.sh (no need to show the 20, 30, 45, etc ones)
Code:
#!/bin/sh

mntroot rw

# Based on version 0.01 (20090724) ebs
V="0.02.N"

# Default timeout in seconds
TIMEOUT=900

# Log somewhere out of the way
mkdir /mnt/us/sstimeout
L=/mnt/us/sstimeout/screensaver-timeout_install.log

# Result codes
OK=0
ERR=1

echo >> ${L}
echo "install: screensaver-timeout v${V}, $(date)" >> ${L}

# Give user a way to override timeout
U=/mnt/us/screensaver-timeout
if [ -f ${U} ] ; then
T=$(head -n 1 ${U} | sed 's/[^0-9]//g')
if [ "${T}" -gt 59 ] ; then
echo "Using user specified timeout ${T} from ${U}" >> ${L}
TIMEOUT=${T}
fi
fi

# FW 3.X
# if [ -f /etc/kdb/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout ] ; then
# F=/etc/kdb/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout

# FW 3.3
if [ -f /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout ] ; then
F=/etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout

# Make a backup just in case
[ -f /mnt/us/sstimeout/t1_timeout ] || cp -p ${F} /mnt/us/sstimeout/t1_timeout 2>> ${L} || exit ${ERR}

OT=$(tail -n 1 ${F})

if [ -n "${OT}" ] ; then
if [ "${OT}" != "${TIMEOUT}" ] ; then
echo "Replacing sleep timeout (${OT} -> ${TIMEOUT})" >> ${L}
(echo -en "RG002\n40\n<DATA>\n${TIMEOUT}" > ${F}) 2>> ${L} || exit ${ERR}
else
echo "Timeout is already set to ${TIMEOUT}, skipping..." >> ${L}
fi
else
echo "Couldn't find current timeout, aborting" >> ${L}
exit ${ERR}
fi
else
# FW 2.X
F=/etc/powerd.conf

[ -f /mnt/us/sstimeout/powerd.conf ] || cp -p ${F} /mnt/us/sstimeout/powerd.conf 2>> ${L} || exit ${ERR}

K="t1_timeout:"
OT=$(grep "^${K}" ${F} | cut -b 13-)
if [ -n "${OT}" ] ; then
sed -i -e "s/^\(${K}\).*$/\1 ${TIMEOUT}/" ${F} 2>> ${L} || exit ${ERR}
else
fi
else
echo "Addding sleep timeout (${TIMEOUT})" >> ${L}
(echo "${K} ${TIMEOUT}" >> ${F}) 2>> ${L} || exit ${ERR}
fi
fi

echo "Done!" >> ${L}
/etc/init.d/powerd restart

mntroot ro

exit ${OK}
screensaver_timeout_reset.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

mntroot rw

# Based on version 0.01 (20090724) ebs
V="0.02.N"

# Default timeout in seconds
TIMEOUT=600

# Log somewhere out of the way
mkdir /mnt/us/sstimeout
L=/mnt/us/sstimeout/screensaver-timeout_install.log

# Result codes
OK=0
ERR=1

echo >> ${L}
echo "install: screensaver-timeout v${V}, $(date)" >> ${L}

# Give user a way to override timeout
U=/mnt/us/screensaver-timeout
if [ -f ${U} ] ; then
T=$(head -n 1 ${U} | sed 's/[^0-9]//g')
if [ "${T}" -gt 59 ] ; then
echo "Using user specified timeout ${T} from ${U}" >> ${L}
TIMEOUT=${T}
fi
fi

# FW 3.X
# if [ -f /etc/kdb/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout ] ; then
# F=/etc/kdb/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout

# FW 3.3
if [ -f /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout ] ; then
F=/etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout

[ -f /mnt/us/sstimeout/t1_timeout ] || cp -p ${F} /mnt/us/sstimeout/t1_timeout 2>> ${L} || exit ${ERR}

OT=$(tail -n 1 ${F})

if [ -n "${OT}" ] ; then
(echo -en "RG002\n40\n<DATA>\n${TIMEOUT}" > ${F}) 2>> ${L} || exit ${ERR}
else
fi
else
echo "Couldn't find current timeout, aborting" >> ${L}
exit ${ERR}
fi
else
# FW 2.X
F=/etc/powerd.conf

[ -f /mnt/us/sstimeout/powerd.conf ] || cp -p ${F} /mnt/us/sstimeout/powerd.conf 2>> ${L} || exit ${ERR}

K="t1_timeout:"
OT=$(grep "^${K}" ${F} | cut -b 13-)
if [ -n "${OT}" ] ; then
sed -i -e "s/^\(${K}\).*$/\1 ${TIMEOUT}/" ${F} 2>> ${L} || exit ${ERR}
else
fi
else
echo "Addding sleep timeout (${TIMEOUT})" >> ${L}
(echo "${K} ${TIMEOUT}" >> ${F}) 2>> ${L} || exit ${ERR}
fi
fi

echo "Done!" >> ${L}

mntroot ro

exit ${OK}

I used the code by pilotdrh2003, found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1210, and, thanks to WS64, I altered it a small bit (so it goes to the appropriate directory on firmware 3.3 (uncomment the 3.X and comment the 3.3 section if required). Here, there are Launchpad shortcuts you can use to do it. Easy peasy. So far so good. If you have any problems, feel free to share.

Note: if you have a /mnt/us/screensaver-timeout file with a custom screensaver timeout (in seconds), it will override whatever Launchpad shortcut time you use when you run one of the shortcuts.
Attached Files
File Type: zip screensaver_timeout_ini_and_scripts.zip (7.4 KB, 748 views)

Last edited by inameiname; 04-16-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Edited to show it seems to be fully-working now, rather than merely in the testing phase
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Just guessing around...

If it's really the sed command failing (for whichever reason), try this instead of copying and then editing in place.
Code:
sed -e 's/600/900/' /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout.bkp > /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout
Also, you might want to try "sed -i -e 's/.../'".
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Just guessing around...

If it's really the sed command failing (for whichever reason), try this instead of copying and then editing in place.
Code:
sed -e 's/600/900/' /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout.bkp > /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout
Also, you might want to try "sed -i -e 's/.../'".
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it doesn't work either.

I didn't try "sed -i -e 's/.../'" yet. What would that do, and how would I write it in this case?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it doesn't work either.

I didn't try "sed -i -e 's/.../'" yet. What would that do, and how would I write it in this case?
It's actually just the long form of your command, i.e. explicitly saying "the s/.../ part is the expression to be evaluated". try sed --help on your device, you'll find the info there. I actually wasn't even aware that one could omit the "-e".

Anyway, I just ran this on the device, and sed is working as it should.
Code:
[root@kindle tmp]# echo 12345600789 > test.txt
[root@kindle tmp]# sed -e 's/600/900/' test.txt 
I looked at your code again, and there is something fishy: if the backup file doesn't exist, it is created from the current configuration. It doesn't necessarily contain "600", though. So maybe this is why it's failing.

I would suggest to rewrite the thing to a simpler and "less dangerous" variant, something like:
Code:
if [ -f /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout.TEMPLATE ]
then
	sed -e 's/_TIMEOUT_/900/' /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout.TEMPLATE > /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout
fi
exit
You would create the TEMPLATE file exactly once (maybe on installation, whatever), and instead of putting some exact number in there, put _TIMEOUT_ in the respective place. This is the pattern that'll be replaced. I also suggest not to duplicate the logic over 5 files, but create it once, and parameterize it... Along the lines of "set_timeout.sh 900". Instead of hard-coding the value, you'd just use $1 in the script.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
It's actually just the long form of your command, i.e. explicitly saying "the s/.../ part is the expression to be evaluated". try sed --help on your device, you'll find the info there. I actually wasn't even aware that one could omit the "-e".

Anyway, I just ran this on the device, and sed is working as it should.
Code:
[root@kindle tmp]# echo 12345600789 > test.txt
[root@kindle tmp]# sed -e 's/600/900/' test.txt 
I looked at your code again, and there is something fishy: if the backup file doesn't exist, it is created from the current configuration. It doesn't necessarily contain "600", though. So maybe this is why it's failing.

I would suggest to rewrite the thing to a simpler and "less dangerous" variant, something like:
Code:
if [ -f /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout.TEMPLATE ]
then
	sed -e 's/_TIMEOUT_/900/' /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout.TEMPLATE > /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout
fi
exit
You would create the TEMPLATE file exactly once (maybe on installation, whatever), and instead of putting some exact number in there, put _TIMEOUT_ in the respective place. This is the pattern that'll be replaced. I also suggest not to duplicate the logic over 5 files, but create it once, and parameterize it... Along the lines of "set_timeout.sh 900". Instead of hard-coding the value, you'd just use $1 in the script.
Thanks for the suggestion. Your TEMPLATE idea is interesting.

Fortunately, I did figure out another way to do this. I will show you what I did in the next post.

BTW, I think not having 'mntroot rw' and 'mntroot ro' in the script was the issue. I say this only because that is what resolved the 'failure' message I kept getting with the updated script.

Last edited by inameiname; 12-24-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
inameiname
Groupie

So I think I figured out how to do this. Using the code by pilotdrh2003, found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1210, thanks to WS64, I altered it a small bit (so it goes to the appropriate directory on firmware 3.3 (uncomment the 3.X and comment the 3.3 section if required). Here, there are Launchpad shortcuts you can use to do it. Easy peasy.

Please test to verify that it works. FYI, one other customization is that it is set on the 'us' directory. So change if needed.

The fix is already included above, in the first post. Note: if you have a /mnt/us/screensaver-timeout file with a custom screensaver timeout (in seconds), it will override whatever Launchpad shortcut time you use when you run one of the shortcuts.

Last edited by inameiname; 12-24-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)

Good to see that you solved it. I personally can't test it though, I have a Kindle Touch
Old 12-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Good to see that you solved it. I personally can't test it though, I have a Kindle Touch
Ah, gotcha. Well, hopefully I did. I am hoping some folks on here will test it and get back to me to see if it really works for all.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
krabapell
krabapell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
It's working!

Thanks a lot for this script
I've been wanting to change the timeout but still hesistant to manually edit the file.

I'm running on 3.1 and so far, it' running without bugs.
I've used both the 30 and 60 minutes.
krabapell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapell View Post
Thanks a lot for this script
I've been wanting to change the timeout but still hesistant to manually edit the file.

I'm running on 3.1 and so far, it' running without bugs.
I've used both the 30 and 60 minutes.
That's great. I am glad it is working for you. I was waiting to hear from others whether or not it was working.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
You can. Just replace string "luigi" with "yoshi" in the file path. powerd daemon is the same as it was in KK.
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
A-I
A-I began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Color
Quote:
Has anyone written a KT launcher app to change the screensaver timeout?
A-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #13
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-I View Post
Has anyone written a KT launcher app to change the screensaver timeout?
good idea

I will try to add this to SSModeSwitcher
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

hello,i want mplayer to be killed in a time(my bad english!)

hello!I come from china!Excuse my poor english!

i usually listen to music before sleeping,mostly i fall asleep without shuting down my kindle! so i want my kindle's mplayer to be killed in a time that can be set!
i think it is useful because i have many friend , is not that?
thank you!

Last edited by xueyou2; 04-13-2012 at 08:28 PM.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyou2 View Post
hello!I come from china!Excuse my poor english!

i usually listen to music before sleeping,mostly i fall asleep without shuting down my kindle! so i want my kindle's mplayer to be killed in a time that can be set!
i think it is useful because i have many friend , is not that?
thank you!
Maybe you can try run following command with launchpad before you go to sleep.

Code:
lipc-wait-event  -s 0 com.lab126.powerd goingToScreenSaver && killall mplayer
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote