Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
plisken
Enthusiast
plisken began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
[SOLVED] How to prepare SD card?

Hello,

I've just bought 16GB SD card, and I am bit puzzled how to prepare it to work.

I am asking because the closest thing I did to make it work, was to format it (on PC) -- then I have to start DR without it, and when DR complains about missing card, I insert it. When started with card inside DR says there is card missing or starts up but then turns into "busy" mode and computes something (now, for about 3 hours). Odd.

When I successfully start DR, and then shut it down, the card is empty -- DR does not create any structure for putting files on the disk.

So -- how should I prepare SD for it? Any particular block size when formatting? Should I copy all the files and directories from the original 1GB SD card?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by plisken; 09-22-2011 at 04:05 PM.
plisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
In order to be able to do anything at all, you will first have to put some firmware. In my opinion, there is no reason not to use the latest rc3 firmware from here

http://updates.irexnet.com/beta/dr1000s/

Then I would immediately install mackx's hack from message #199 of this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=92443&page=14

and you will have the latest "operating system".

Happy reading!

Last edited by fekhner; 09-20-2011 at 04:33 PM.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
From memory, the DR will only read Fat 32 formatted cards. this may be your problem with a 16Gb card. I stick t 2Gb or under and just use as many as I require.

H
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I use a 16 GB SD-card, so it should be possible.

I don't think the block size matters, but I always choose the default block size for FAT32 (under Windows), whichever that is.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
plisken
Enthusiast

@fekhner, thank you. Your answer made me wonder -- are updates really per SD, not per device? E.g. let's say I have 10 SD cards, so I have ten times update the firmware?

@pthwaite, this is incorrect in two ways. DR1000 has to read Fat16 because the default iRex card is Fat16. Second, as it was posted in some places, iRex is capable reading 16 GB card and maybe (just one source, wiki) 32 GB card. Even in case of 16GB it means Fat32.

Anyway, for now, I put the latest update on the card, booted DR, and DR thinks a lot, just like with first boot with empty card (it is not updating anything, led is just blinking). When I copied all the stuff from 1GB card instead of update, it started correctly, recognized the card, recognized capacity and free space, but didn't displayed any books.
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

You don't have to update for every card.

The fact that it won't do an update with your new card suggests there might be an incompatibility with the card. I would test with another (16 GB) card if you can get hold of one.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
in fact the kingston 32GB card suggested by grimulkan
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48256
works fine in my device
(he also reports one 16 GB card that does not seem to work)

as far as I remember, there is someone who reported that cards formatted with linux file format (ext2) also work in the DR, here it is :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=ext2
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
plisken
Enthusiast

Thank you guys.

So far rather odd news -- when I put update 1.71 on this new (16GB) card DR is updated, starts up, my files (pdfs) are recognized, and I can open them. So, I am almost happy, except for the fact, it is an old firmware (I get used to RC3 with my old card).

I put then RC3 update (it worked on 1GB card), every time I repeat this card is recognized, DR updated, but _after_ the update DR cannot recognize the card ("no card present"), or boots up and hangs with led blinking, or boots up, but does not recognize my files.

I will try now other scenarios:
* firmwares beta and RC<3
* putting my files from 1GB card with metadata as well

Btw. my card is 16GB Kingston Class 6 Ultimate.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
as far as I remember, there is someone who reported that cards formatted with linux file format (ext2) also work in the DR, here it is :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=ext2
I think that's for firmware 1.x. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with 2.0.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
plisken
Enthusiast

I did some more tests, and indeed, only the latest stable version of firmware works with this card. No RC3. Pity, since RC3 is much faster.