Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #151
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
goodwill doesn't have the resources to refurbish electronics. the best they can do is clean up and test to see if it's functional. otherwise, they are sold as is. i believe all units were donated to goodwill.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #152
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Yes, these are items donated to Goodwill. Some locations will test them and let you know if they turn on. Some say untested. You have to read the description to see what you're getting.

Only once I bought a unit advertised as unknown or untested and it did work after I charged it up. Only issue was it was device locked but a hard reset took care of that.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #153
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
They've got lots of Kindle Keyboards on shopgoodwill also ... cheap, very cheap ...
There is currently a bundle of 12 Kindle Keyboard bundle available that ends on 4/13/2018

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/51204327

I've bought two kobo ereaders from goodwill which have shipped but haven't arrived yet. Luckily, when the old sony bookstore closed down most of the books transfered to the kobo store. If I like the kobo ereader I might actually start purchasing books from the kobo store which will also show up on my Sony PRS T-1 (I hope).
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #154
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
Have the readers @ shopgoodwill been reworked are do you buy "as is"? Generally speaking, what is the condition of the readers? Usually as they say, you get what you pay for. Is that the case there?
If you want refurbished older Kindles take a look at the below ebay site. The site owner repaired a broken Kindle DX screen for me some time ago.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/tccs/m.html...1&_ipg=&_from=
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #155
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Have the readers @ shopgoodwill been reworked are do you buy "as is"? Generally speaking, what is the condition of the readers? Usually as they say, you get what you pay for. Is that the case there?
Generally speaking, "as is." But if they don't at least boot up, they'll usually mention that in the details or sell them for parts. They often mention that they've turned them on and did factory resets. For the most part, all the eReaders I've bought on Shop Goodwill have worked (I replaced the battery in a couple of them – one had a broken screen from the pressure of a bulging (old) battery) but it's definitely a "buyer beware" or "buyer do your homework" situation.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #156
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Thank you for the very honest and informative answer to my questions. Very much appreciated. Haven't done any business yet w/shopgoodwill and really don't have a need as both my T1 and T2 are working fine but it is nice to know if/when the need does arise, I'll know where to shop and the risks. Again, thanks much!
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #157
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for the very honest and informative answer to my questions. Very much appreciated. Haven't done any business yet w/shopgoodwill and really don't have a need as both my T1 and T2 are working fine but it is nice to know if/when the need does arise, I'll know where to shop and the risks. Again, thanks much!
Mercari.com also – sometimes – has good prices on used Sonys. Right now they've got a Sony T1 (supposedly in good condition) for $20 plus $5 s/h.

https://item.mercari.com/gl/m50231900096/

They also have a supposedly brand new one (in the box) for $40 plus $5 s/h.

https://item.mercari.com/gl/m64748448890/

The second one has been there a while. Before I found out about Mercari, some kid sold an almost unused Sony T1 there for $4 plus $4 s/h. He said "he never used it."

So it's definitely worth watching these outfits, especially if you want to fill up your house Sony Readers.

On the down side, I just found out today that the brand new (navy blue) PRS-505 I paid $12 for (including s/h) on March 29th was "damaged." Which means, to a cynical old geezer like me, that the seller probably got a better price somewhere else.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-12-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #158
PatGIV
Connoisseur

Thanks for the links!
Old 04-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #159
PatGIV
Connoisseur

rcentros: as luck would have it, my T1 which I purchased in 2012 has started acting up, so went ahead and jumped on the NEW T1 you posted above: https://item.mercari.com/gl/m50231900096/ and I figured for $25 couldn't go wrong. Based on the seller's history. I'll post back after receiving and testing it out.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:27 AM   #160
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
rcentros: as luck would have it, my T1 which I purchased in 2012 has started acting up, so went ahead and jumped on the NEW T1 you posted above: https://item.mercari.com/gl/m50231900096/ and I figured for $25 couldn't go wrong. Based on the seller's history. I'll post back after receiving and testing it out.
This one looks good, but I the new one was $40 (in box).

https://item.mercari.com/gl/m64748448890/

I'm sorry if I misled you. I have to start doing a better job of separating my links when I post.

But I still think the one you got will be good.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #161
PatGIV
Connoisseur

Received the T1 via USPS today and it came in a 10"w x 13"l x 3½"h box that had only 3 small air pillows for unsat packaging. Reader was NOT wrapped in anyway and the box came from Amazon! Also contained a stylus that was floating all around. There is one small scratch on the back side but other than that, it looks ok. Just kinda pissed off about the packaging though. No charger but not a problem, have it charging now after installing one book just to see if it worked. Any other developments, will advise.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #162
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Browsing through the goodwill site, they have some interesting e-readers: Amazon Nook and Amazon Paper weight.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #163
PatGIV
Connoisseur

@ rcentros: Well, after playing w/it for a couple of hours have decided to return to sender for refund. It locks up sporadically, then to get it back, have to press reset, then the power button for a reboot. Then everything works fine until the next time. First experience w/mercari not so good but will give them another shot in the future. FYI.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #164
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
My T1 has always been a bit buggy and required reboots a lot. That's why I was happy to get a T2 and then a T3. Although I'm liking my 350 these days. Before that, it was the T2.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #165
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My T1 worked well for a few years but eventually started requiring frequent restarts, usually when I tried to use the dictionary. I've been using a T3 for a while now and it doesn't require many restarts. Occasionally after I sync it with the Reader software I have to restart it. This doesn't happen every time I sync, just once in a while.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote