Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 11-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
Lightbulb What's wrong with this pic?

Does anyone see something odd about this? Can anyone SHINE a little light on why this was did? I got this used. I edited the serial and web#'s for safety reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191121_133239.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	175085  
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Other than a firmware version that I have never seen listed as being available for a Tolino Vision 3 HD? Though I've seen it for a Shine. Did someone manually install the firmware? I'd suggest a manual install of the latest firmware for the Vision 3 HD using the 1.7.1 to 10.1.0 upgrade package.

Edit: Please note that any upgrade on this device will have risks if that firmware version was intended for a different device.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-23-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Interesting. Duplicate post after editing.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks,
That gives me something to go on. It was like that when i got it. I tried the latest Vision 3 FW but it would't work that way. That's when i first noticed the Shine FW was installed on it.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneraider View Post
Thanks,
That gives me something to go on. It was like that when i got it. I tried the latest Vision 3 FW but it would't work that way. That's when i first noticed the Shine FW was installed on it.
There is no difference. Shine 2 HD has the same firmware as Vision 3 HD.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
Tuneraider
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
There is no difference. Shine 2 HD has the same firmware as Vision 3 HD.
It has the first Shine firmware (before the Shine 2 came out) loaded on it.
Advert
Old 11-24-2019, 02:28 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Does anyone see something odd about this? Can anyone SHINE a little light on why this was did? I got this used. I edited the serial and web#'s for safety reasons.
That's the original Shine's (1.0 and "1.5") firmware. I'm surprised it loaded on a Vision 3 HD. Did you do this just to see if it could be done?

EDIT: I shouldn't have commented until I read the whole thread. I'm guessing you're going to have to start with one of the earliest firmware releases for the Vision 3 and work your way up. (If it will let you do it.)

https://mytolino.de/updates/tolino-v...ftware-update/

You might try the update to 12.2.0 with the update from 1.7.1 to 10.1.0 on the above page.

EDIT 2: But here's an upgrade TO 10.1.0 from earlier versions found by using the WayBack machine at Archive.org. So that might be the better place to start since this is an earlier version number than what's on the Vision 3.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170614...no-vision-3-hd

I can verify that the download link still works.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-24-2019 at 03:01 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:39 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does the Vision 3 HD work okay with this old software? (Just curious, I know you still want to upgrade for the newer features.)
Old 11-24-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
Tuneraider
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Does the Vision 3 HD work okay with this old software? (Just curious, I know you still want to upgrade for the newer features.)
Surprisingly good really. I've only read one approx 300 pg book with it but it worked as expected when reading. The only thing close to a bug was a couple of times when the next page came up it seemed to refresh the page and a small transparent button appeared saying push to return to previous page.
I tried updating to the 12.2.0 earlier. When I checked to see if it had updated is when I finally caught the odd fw version.
My guess is that something was changed either on the reader or the update to get the Shine firmware to work.
Thanks for the link, I hadn't found the archived one.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
Tuneraider
Connoisseur

I'm not sure what I did different this time but one thing is I reset it with a paperclip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191124_113655.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	175104  
Old 11-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I'm not sure what I did different this time but one thing is I reset it with a paperclip.
Happy to see that! The main reason I like the newer firmware is that it works better with custom fonts. Having 12.2.0 will also make the upgrade to 13.1.1 possible when (if?) it gets released for the older Tolinos. (Currently only available for the three new ones, Epos 2, Vision 5 and Page 2.) The only feature that I would be interested in trying (that I know about) is the white on black screen that it will have.) Even if 13.1.1 becomes available I think I'll wait to make sure there's no major bugs. 12.2.0 works well.

Edit: By "works better with custom fonts" I mean it's less picky. Some of my fonts wouldn't install on the older firmware, but started working in 12.2.0.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-24-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

13.1.1 works without any problem on Shine3
Old 11-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
13.1.1 works without any problem on Shine3
That's good to know! Do you just download the version under the Page 2, Epos 2, Vision 5 heading?
Old 11-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
That's good to know! Do you just download the version under the Page 2, Epos 2, Vision 5 heading?
Yes.
Shine3 has nearly the same Mainboard as Page2
Old 11-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yes.
Shine3 has nearly the same Mainboard as Page2
What's really odd is that the English website only has 13.1.0 available and, if you hover over the link, it shows a beta download. The German website, on the other hand, goes to a completely different download directory. I don't have a problem using the German site (because I've done it in the past) but it's weird that they don't get the English site updated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	englishtolino.png
Views:	239
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	175110   Click image for larger version

Name:	germantolino.png
Views:	230
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	175111   Click image for larger version

Name:	beta.png
Views:	238
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	175112   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal.png
Views:	227
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	175113  
Old 11-25-2019, 04:34 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
What's really odd is that the English website only has 13.1.0 available and, if you hover over the link, it shows a beta download. The German website, on the other hand, goes to a completely different download directory. I don't have a problem using the German site (because I've done it in the past) but it's weird that they don't get the English site updated.
The difference between 13.1.0 and 13.1.1 is in handling of CARE DRM for Onleihe books