Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #5221
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’m resisting a book that’s down to $1.99 at Kindle (and still a whopping $15.99 at Kobo!) that sounds exactly my thing. I’m really torn on this.
That's a tough one. But if it's an author who's unknown to you, DON'T BUY unless you've downloaded and read the sample, and really like the style.

After all, you have lots of books already in your TBR that sound exactly like your thing, right?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #5222
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
After all, you have lots of books already in your TBR that sound exactly like your thing, right?
Exactly! That is the nub of the situation.

This is where the “must read it in the near future” aspect helps. This would tend more toward inventory than an immediate read, and I’ve already got two unread purchases in the pipeline.

I suspect seeing how much Kobo wants for it increased my yen for it, but that’s irrational. That Kobo is charging a lot should not affect my evaluation of its value to me at all.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #5223
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Exactly! That is the nub of the situation.

This is where the “must read it in the near future” aspect helps. This would tend more toward inventory than an immediate read, and I’ve already got two unread purchases in the pipeline.

I suspect seeing how much Kobo wants for it increased my yen for it, but that’s irrational. That Kobo is charging a lot should not affect my evaluation of its value to me at all.
If SPQR is already on your reader, you'll be good for a bit - trust me!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:00 AM   #5224
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I purchased my first book of the year. The second book/novella in the Murderbot series for $2.99. It won't be read immediately, though, so that's noteworthy in the negative. It's just that these books rarely go on sale and felt impulsiveness was necessary.

It's nice to see so many publisher sales but ...
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #5225
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m reading one of my February purchases, a wishlist book that went on sale, and it’s... ok. Not nearly bad enough to abandon as it’s in an area I like, but I kind of resent wasting reading time on it, more than I resent the purchase price at only $1.99. I’m mentioning it as an aide-mémoire to myself, about “shopping” in my own library. Perhaps it’s time to make some more cuts in my wishlist, although mostly the prices in my wishlist don’t budge. Just as well.

On the positive side, I’ve read three of the five books I’ve purchased this year; this one is the fourth, and I expect to like the fifth. My TBR goes down at a glacial rate (pre-global warming) however, as my reading also includes a lot of library, PD and audio (the last doesn’t enter into my TBR calculations). But a reduction in my TBR is only an ancillary aim, a benchmark; the point is not to buy.
Advert
Old 03-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #5226
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

My “must read it in the future” restriction saved me from another purchase today; a sale on a book on a topic of high interest with sterling reviews from the NYT, the WSJ and the Guardian, but I had to acknowledge that I probably wouldn’t be in the mood to read it soon or even soonish. Moving on.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:11 AM   #5227
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My “must read it in the future” restriction saved me from another purchase today; a sale on a book on a topic of high interest with sterling reviews from the NYT, the WSJ and the Guardian, but I had to acknowledge that I probably wouldn’t be in the mood to read it soon or even soonish. Moving on.
Well done! That's the way - will I read it next? If not, don't buy!
Old 03-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #5228
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yes, I resisted a couple of good Monthly Deals last month for the same reason.

On the other hand, I've still only read 1 of my 5 purchases this year. I'm probably about to start a second (if I remember to charge my Kindle when I get home).
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #5229
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I have only three unread purchases this year, but I do have two unread freebies. But two of the unread purchases are parts of a series where I don't have the intermediate books yet

On the whole, I'm pleased with how this year is going, although I always need to be on my guard against 'bargains'.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #5230
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I’ve read the five books I bought through February and I’m reading the only book I’ve bought in March (although I don’t anticipate finishing it until June, as it’s a leisurely group read of War and Peace).

So far, so good. As with anything, it gets easier as you go, although I have to watch for backsliding.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #5231
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I purchased my second book of the year. It was a daily special of one of my favorite authors. I will get to it but not soon. It's difficult to ignore these stay-at-home-and-read publisher markdowns because I don't know if/when they'll be repeated.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #5232
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I just bought my sixth book of the year, which is pretty good going for me. I'm just about to start reading my second of those six, which is less good.

Also I've had a large influx of freebies lately, as authors give away entire series for quarantine reading, so I'm very glad I'm not counting them this year.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #5233
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Less because we needed it and more because we wanted to support our local indie bookstore, we did go and purchase 5 dtbs the day before the lockdown went to effect. Two are all time favorite titles of mine that my wife will now read because they are in the house in paper. Three were books we bought off the shelf as new reads.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:35 PM   #5234
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Less because we needed it and more because we wanted to support our local indie bookstore, we did go and purchase 5 dtbs the day before the lockdown went to effect.
One excellent suggestion I’ve seen for providing such support is to buy gift cards (or certificates, vouchers, etc.) from local businesses. They get liquidity now, you get goods later, and everybody wins.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:45 PM   #5235
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Also I've had a large influx of freebies lately, as authors give away entire series for quarantine reading, so I'm very glad I'm not counting them this year.
That and other good deals. I'm such a victim of sales, but did restrict at least purchases to favorite authors (though mostly audiobooks). I'm getting more reading in by reading about 20 - 30 minutes after getting into bed. My elderly, getting blind, sick cat seems to enjoy the glow-in-the-dark. She settles in bed as soon as I start it. The other bed cats wander in later and no fights over whose space is whose.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote