Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
No one does typography like Adobe, when they get their mind to it.

(Adobe Reader's font rendering is still ridiculously better than anything else out there).
That's why I read mostly ePub. I want my books to look as good as they can.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
The other advantage of epub in Kobo is that it handles ligatures while kepub doesn't do.
There's a patch that enables ligatures in .kepub. Which seems to say that Kobo really could do with investing some time in kepub font rendering.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There's a patch that enables ligatures in .kepub. Which seems to say that Kobo really could do with investing some time in kepub font rendering.
KePub enhanced typesetting can be wonky at times. The line height is wonky.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KePub enhanced typesetting can be wonky at times. The line height is wonky.
I've not had the problem with line height, but it does affect the spacing between words, I believe. Though your hyphenation dictionary helps with that.

The fact that fan made patches make the layout better than the default makes me think Kobo hasn't invested enough time in kepub layout.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:01 AM   #35
droopy
Addict
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma. Laptop is Linux Mint
Quote:
That's why I read mostly ePub. I want my books to look as good as they can.
So I may be hurting myself by using the DavidFor plugin that automatically converts all epubs to kepub when sending to my Forma, huh?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #36
Uncle Robin
Addict
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
So I may be hurting myself by using the DavidFor plugin that automatically converts all epubs to kepub when sending to my Forma, huh?
That's a matter of personal taste. I do know what ligatures are, don't understand why they matter so much to anyone, couldn't give a pair of fetid dingo kidneys for Adobe page numbers, and find the kepub rendered text looks just fine for my reading needs, so enjoy the added features like fast page turn etc. YMMV, and obviously does for many.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:25 AM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
A correction: The KoboTouchExtended driver is developed and maintained by @jgoguen, not me.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
You can use the KoboTouchExtended driver with the on the fly kepub conversion off. I've done that rather than uninstall it since I learned it was kepubifying epubs. I sometimes want to compare epub on different platforms.
I don't miss the few extra "features" of the kepub mode which are not on any of the other non-Kobo ereaders.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:00 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
You are not hurting yourself. I suggest you try both and see which you like better.

Another thing I forgot to mention is Kobo changed the way page numbers worked with KePub and now they don't work properly. RMSDK has ADE page numbers. I don't like one screen equals one page. It means if you change any settings such as font size, margins, or line height, the page numbers change. They don't change with ADE page numbers. KePub page numbers used to work similarly to ADE page numbers, but no longer.
Old Today, 10:47 PM   #40
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.HolyAura can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
You are not hurting yourself. I suggest you try both and see which you like better.

Another thing I forgot to mention is Kobo changed the way page numbers worked with KePub and now they don't work properly. RMSDK has ADE page numbers. I don't like one screen equals one page. It means if you change any settings such as font size, margins, or line height, the page numbers change. They don't change with ADE page numbers. KePub page numbers used to work similarly to ADE page numbers, but no longer.
I find the way the KePub pages work nice. I know I'm the minority, but it feels more normal to have page numbers change with each page flip just like on a printed book. It can also tell me exactly where I am in the book, like for example page 3235 out of 5964.

Some people also like the ePub page numbers more because the page numbers are the same as a printed book so if they want to refer to a certain part of the book, they can just say the page number and it would be the same part of the book on a printed book. However, I don't usually need to refer to a certain part of a book. Even if I do, I would just say for example 'the part where blah blah blah...' And, doesn't each printed book also have several sizes of it? Some books are small and therefore contain more pages, while there is another version of the same book that is bigger and therefore contains lesser pages. So, which version of the printed book is the ePub page numbers following? It can get confusing. Therefore, it's hard to refer to the exact part of the book using page numbers, no matter ePub, KePub or printed.
HolyAura is online now   Reply With Quote