Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You don't have to be paranoid to use a device you paid for the way you want to use it. Personally I don't mind connecting to my books online, but I understand that others don't want to do that.
I think it's paranoid to not have an account at Kobo and do a proper registration. It's paranoid (IMHO) to think Kobo is going to find out everything you read and do something sinister with the information.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's kind if creepy, even if you allow absolutely no sinister intent.. I wouldn't want someone standing at my house window starring in at me as I go about my reading either.

Perhaps more practically speaking, on at least 4 occasions when I've had a brand new Kobo device in hand and though to try setting it up the regular way, registration fails with bizare error messages. (probably due to overload on release day.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It's kind if creepy, even if you allow absolutely no sinister intent.. I wouldn't want someone standing at my house window starring in at me as I go about my reading either.

Perhaps more practically speaking, on at least 4 occasions when I've had a brand new Kobo device in hand and though to try setting it up the regular way, registration fails with bizare error messages. (probably due to overload on release day.)
Thing is every time you buy an eBook you give information to some company. Every time you borrow an eBook from Overdrive you could be giving Overdrive and maybe Kobo information. So why is it a problem to not do a proper registration? You cannot read many commercial eBooks without letting some companies know what you are reading. It cannot be done.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot read many commercial eBooks without letting some companies know what you are reading. It cannot be done.
Unless you are using a VPN or otherwise hiding your IP address, it's pretty much impossible to download anything without being traceable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #20
dsfadsfgafgf
dsfadsfgafgf began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
Sent back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRagg View Post
Assuming that you are a windows user:
1. Connect your Kobo
2. Navigate to KOBOeReader/.kobo, there should be a file name KoboReader.sqlite (copy the link)
3. Download https://sqlite.org/2019/sqlite-tools...86-3280000.zip, and unpack it.
4. Open command prompt in the folder above.
5. sqlite3 (paste the link)
6. copy and paste this: INSERT INTO user(UserID,UserKey) VALUES('1','');
7. type .quit
Thankyou. This prevented me sending a Clara Hd back.

Had I known I was gonna have to jump through hoops just to read a book I'm not sure I would have bothered with it.
dsfadsfgafgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:31 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsfadsfgafgf View Post

Had I known I was gonna have to jump through hoops just to read a book I'm not sure I would have bothered with it.
Honestly, what you did was jumping through more hoops than just signing up with a dummy email address.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #22
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Just sign up with a Kobo account. What's the big deal? You give up far more of your personal info and privacy simply carrying a smartphone or shopping on Amazon than you ever do using your Kobo.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:10 AM   #23
dsfadsfgafgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Honestly, what you did was jumping through more hoops than just signing up with a dummy email address.
Not really, it took 2 minutes.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:27 AM   #24
dsfadsfgafgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Just sign up with a Kobo account. What's the big deal? You give up far more of your personal info and privacy simply carrying a smartphone or shopping on Amazon than you ever do using your Kobo.
1. I do neither.

The login stuff should be an added option not a requirement.
Maybe I'd just forgotten that it's impossible these day's to bye hardware that doesn't require some level of hacking to get it to work or get past nag screens.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:56 AM   #25
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
1. I do neither.

Maybe I'd just forgotten that it's impossible these day's to bye hardware that doesn't require some level of hacking to get it to work or get past nag screens.
Yes it’s simply crazy that a company that makes its profits off sales of digital books would require you to sign up for an account.

Never mind that

1) the account info doesn’t need to be real it doesn’t even need to be an existing email address.

2) you don’t need to give any real personal information either.

3) you don’t even need to attach a payment method.

Do as you wish with your device. Just don’t act as if the idea of setting up an account for it is absolutely ludicrous.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #26
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
1. I do neither.
Well then, the fact that you're simply on the internet gives up more personal information than you're likely aware of. Your surfing habits and browser configuration alone allows those with access to the data to specifically identify you and track you across multiple websites. You can mitigate this to some extent with various tools, but you can't completely eliminate it. No, not even with a VPN.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:16 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Not really, it took 2 minutes.
Did that factor in the time it took to find out how to do it? And those steps took more than 2 minutes. Of course, would have been 30 seconds, maybe, to put in an email address and password.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
1. I do neither.

You might as well go live like a hermit in the middle of the woods given that you are too paranoid to live in civilization.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Why would you send it back if you actally had to register it? Why did you by it in the first place? Why are you so paranoid? Do you realize that in order to buy eBooks, you have to give your information or are you planning on stealing eBooks so you don't have to buy and and give your info?
Old 08-14-2020, 05:43 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I had a Kobo account and when I got my H2O almost 6 years ago, I properly registered and I've never had any issues. Paranoid registering has had an issue when Kobo changed something in the firmware and the fake registration failed. Do you want t risk losing everything you have on your Kobo including any highlights/bookmarks? That's what you risk with a fake registration. You also risk your sanity because of being that paranoid.