Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
rbyl
rbyl began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
How to update firmware without affecting installed patch?

Please, can someone share how to update kobo reader firmware without affecting the patches installed?

I have several favorite patches installed, however, I'd to re-install it each time I update the reader's firmware.

Thank you so much in advance.
rbyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyl View Post
Please, can someone share how to update kobo reader firmware without affecting the patches installed?

I have several favorite patches installed, however, I'd to re-install it each time I update the reader's firmware.

You need to go to the patch thread for the firmware you've just installed and reapply the patches again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:22 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyl View Post

There's no way to do what you want. The patches are applied to files that must be replaced during the firmware update.

My advice would be to use the overrides section in kobopatch.yaml and place your yes/no answers in kobopatch.yaml. Save that chunk of the file as another files (I use overrides.txt) which will not be overwritten when I update the kobopatcher for the new firmware. After the kobopatch update, I copy/paste the saved overrides into the new kobopatch.yaml. About 3 seconds to have the patches I use ready for the new firmware. Occasionally, patches will be removed and you will have to remove them but that's not all that often. I've attached a copy of the overrides.txt I use -- just modify it as you want, paste it into the right spot in kobopatch.yaml and bob's your uncle.

The code block here is the lines in the original kobopatch.yaml that need to be replaced:
Spoiler:

Code:
## You can put lines in the following section to override the enabled state of patches.
## The indentation matters! Each override should be indented by 4 spaces. Add to the 
## section below. This section can be copy and pasted into newer patch versions to
## keep your selections.
##
## Example of how it should look:
## overrides:
##   src/nickel.yaml:
##     Custom synopsis/details line spacing: yes
##     Whatever the yaml is called: no
##   src/libadobe.so.yaml:
##     You get the idea: yes
overrides:
  src/nickel.yaml:
  src/libadobe.so.yaml:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Attached Files
File Type: txt overrides.txt (5.3 KB, 66 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote