Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
ChaosForged
ChaosForged began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
iOS CC v2.01 Bug Reports

1. App unusable without internet connection. This is a large problem for those of us who travel extensively, and who use it on iPads while offline.
  2. Hangs on startup (with spinning progress icon) with large library (8100 books). Closing and relaunching resolves, but is a regular occurrence.
  3. Emails sent to address given in app store description bounce back with a delivery failure

Last edited by ChaosForged; 03-14-2020 at 03:55 PM.
ChaosForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosForged View Post
  1. App unusable without internet connection. This is a large problem for those of us who travel extensively, and who use it on iPads while offline.
  2. Hangs on startup (with spinning progress icon) with large library (8100 books). Closing and relaunching resolves, but is a regular occurrence.
  3. Emails sent to address given in app store description bounce back with a delivery failure
Hum. Put my iPad in airplane mode, closed all the apps, restarted the iPad, then opened up CC. Came up fine with no problems. Copied a book from CC to Marvin, no problem. What are you seeing that makes you say #1.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just as a note, I sent in the following bug list
1) sort by date appears to use the date a book was downloaded into CC for all date sorts, rather than the expected sort by date add to Calibre, date added to CC and date modified.
2) screen doesn't update when a book is downloaded from content server to indicate that anything happened. I expected a book downloaded message, plus screen to change to give the choices other already downloaded books get
3) left hand panel needs to use the whole screen when showing lists.

With a little luck, we will start getting regular releases with release notes that say what's been fixed.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
ChaosForged

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hum. Put my iPad in airplane mode, closed all the apps, restarted the iPad, then opened up CC. Came up fine with no problems. Copied a book from CC to Marvin, no problem. What are you seeing that makes you say #1.
Were you on wifi at the time? Airplane mode only stops cell traffic.

If I disable wifi on my iPad, it gives me a greyed out arrow that can't be clicked and leaves me stuck on the main page.

Disabling cellular and wifi on my iPhone sticks me with an endless progress spinner and never lets me use the app.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I turned off my WiFi on my iPad, and was not able to use CC.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I turned off my WiFi on my iPad, and was not able to use CC.
Same with me.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
Same with me.
Odd, I just turned it off and it worked fine. Not sure what the issue or difference is. I did accept the subscription, so maybe that's the issue.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #8
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Just did the same. Doesn’t work with WiFi off, works with WiFi on. Does work if WiFi turned off after opening the App. Wish Alex/Sam would comment on your supposition about subscription.

Edit: Works on both iPad and iphone when cellular and WiFi on. Works on both iPad and phone with just cellular on. Works on both iPad when just WiFi on. Got to have one or the other.

Last edited by Mims; 03-15-2020 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
Mims
Addict

Must have internet access

I assume that the app is requiring internet access to validate current subscriptions. Which means that unless I subscribe, I will not have access to my library any time I am off line. This would mean there really is no comprehensive legacy access for long time users. For those of us who live in areas with frequent (short & long) power and cellular disruptions, this means subscribe or no access.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Also this possibility, which no one may have the time or patience to investigate..
The data we have is that 2 unsubscribed users have an offline issue
But One subscribed user does not,

This suggests that a valid subscription leads to some local permission token or flag is set to allow offline, but how many hours, minutes, days is that good for, before a subscription paid app stops working again. That ought to be disclosed.

My knowledge of how such things work in paid apps is android based, so I am just speculating for ios
If that 3 skips thing is enabled there has to be a counter somewhere, in some reasonably temper proof location. Otherwise you get the sort of trivial bypass that still works for some newspaper sites where all you need to to get another set of N free articles this month is delete a cookie.

A larger than 3 sample size would help also.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
Just did the same. Doesn’t work with WiFi off, works with WiFi on. Does work if WiFi turned off after opening the App. Wish Alex/Sam would comment on your supposition about subscription.

Edit: Works on both iPad and iphone when cellular and WiFi on. Works on both iPad and phone with just cellular on. Works on both iPad when just WiFi on. Got to have one or the other.
I have no cellular on either of my iPads, so it's just WiFi on and off.

Yea, I would have hoped for a more active involvement right after the new release comes out. Of course, that was over the weekend and I don't exactly expect 24x7 support, so maybe one of them will chime in today.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:26 PM   #12
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosForged View Post
#1: The app is checking for your subscription status, looking into how to unblock you in the scenarios described in the thread
#2: Looking into it.
#3: which email did you send to?

Please use CCfeedback@goldtreeway.com
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:14 PM   #13
ChaosForged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
#1: The app is checking for your subscription status, looking into how to unblock you in the scenarios described in the thread
#2: Looking into it.

Please use CCfeedback@goldtreeway.com
Additional info on #2, after repeated tests, it only happens on my iPad, not on my iPhone despite having the same library synced to it.

For #3, I used that email and received the following:

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<ccfeedback@goldtreeway.com>: connect to goldtreeway.com[74.220.199.6]:25:
Connection timed out
Old 03-17-2020, 02:38 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post

]
people expect to be able to use the developer contact details in the app store descriptions, which are outdated. Google Play store also

please spare a minute of your time to update them, or persuade Sam to, if only he has access

the developer NAME seems to have updated but not the contact details
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #15
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
people expect to be able to use the developer contact details in the app store descriptions, which are outdated. Google Play store also

please spare a minute of your time to update them, or persuade Sam to, if only he has access

the developer NAME seems to have updated but not the contact details
The app store developer contact is to the CC website. The in app support email is now:

CCfeedback@goldtreeway.com
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote