Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quiet times

Things have been kind of quiet here over the last week or so. Here is the good ol' USA, everyone is hunkering down because of the coronavirus and live sports has mostly been called off. That means more time for movies and reading. Disney released the digital release of Rise of Skywalker early. It wasn't suppose to be released until Tuesday according to iTunes.

On the eBook front, we are in the Spring release season. The new Mercy Thompson book comes out on Tuesday. I had a number of books that were released in the last month or so, including two new WW II books - Tower of Skulls by Richard Frank and Bloody Okinawa by Joseph Wheelan. Tower of Skulls is about the Asia-Pacific War from July 1937 to May 1942. Non fiction typically takes me much longer to read than fiction.

On the audiobook front, I went through my audible wishlist and noticed that a number of books had dropped below that magic pull the trigger price point, so I did a bulk buy. I also noticed that quite a few books are listed as no longer available. I guess the contract expired. Personally, I consider it fairly short sighted for a copyright holder to pull a book from either the eBook or audiobook store. You can't make money on a book if people can't buy it. Can't say that I understand the rational unless maybe it's an older recordings and they are in the process of recording a new version with a different narrator.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Yeah, I've noticed the slowdown.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
For me, it’s because of a cascading effect. When I’m online, I spend less time here as I make myself nuts obsessively reading the news. So I force myself to put the tablet down, which also means less time here! On the positive side, this has definitely meant more time spent reading.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
For me, it’s because of a cascading effect. When I’m online, I spend less time here as I make myself nuts obsessively reading the news. So I force myself to put the tablet down, which also means less time here! On the positive side, this has definitely meant more time spent reading.
I suspect that people are obsessively reading the news. The cynic in me says missions accomplished for the news web sites which tend to focus on the most sensational speculation to drive web clicks.

Just got an email from Disney + (free 1 year subscription because I have unlimited data on Verizon), Frozen 2 just got released on Disney's streaming service, 3 months early.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Nothing's really changed for me. I'm pretty reclusive and my social activity is pretty much nonexistent, so it's life as usual for me. All live entertainments and events are forbidden here, schools, movie theaters, exhibitions, night clubs, gyms, pools etc. are closed, borders are closed to foreigners. But those things have never been a major part of my life anyway, so I don't really miss anything.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nothing's really changed for me. … schools, movie theaters, exhibitions, night clubs, gyms, pools etc. are closed, borders are closed to foreigners. But those things have never been a major part of my life anyway, so I don't really miss anything.
Me too. I've given up crossing borders ages ago. Last time was a 1 week job interview (all expenses paid) in Switzerland some years ago. I turned it down.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
It's quiet here too although we're not really shut down apart from sports. There's been runs on the shops - I got the last of the bulk buys needed (all stuff we'll use) as I suspect I'll be advised to self-isolate in the coming weeks (my age and my health) or we'll need to give house room to Paul's mother (elderly). The government is threatening to put all over 70s into isolation.

I'm back at work tomorrow after a week off, so I'll see what happens (I suspect I'll be triaging the work plan to see what can be dropped if people are off sick).
Old 03-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've been news guzzling, but also putting in more cat attention time. Unfortunately, one of our cats is going downhill. Follow-up consultation with vet tomorrow. I'm done with all shopping for at least a month, except a weekly pickup of milk, bread, fruit, which I can do by app if necessary. Lots of frozen vegetables to use once fresh is used up. My brother and Mom are at high risk (well, I probably am as well), so we isolate as much as possible now. Getting in lots of reading though!

Last edited by Tarana; 03-15-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My sister and her husband might actually have had the virus, when they returned from their vacation in Andorra 2 weeks ago. They weren't tested, because their doctor insisted they didn't have the right symptoms for COVID-19 and they just had the flu. But by all descriptions floating around they had the symptoms. Anyway, it's pointless to test now, because it's not supposed to be infectious anymore. Or so they were told.

I and our mom haven't been in physical contact with them since their return and we decided we won't visit for 2 more weeks, just in case. Mostly because our mom is 82 years old and at risk. I'm not high risk, but I might infect Mom, who lives with me. So I'm not going to visit either.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

From the coronavirus point of view, I've got plenty of supplies, though I'll likely run out of cat litter first. Right now, the karate school is staying open, but we will see. My mother is at high risk, but she's living out in the boonies with my sister, so she's fairly isolated. I've done everything I can do, so we will see how it turns out.

I suspect that trying to tune out things like the latest speculation on the virus and the ups and downs of the stock market is the best approach. Stress can have a very negative effect on a person's health, and as well as negatively impact one's immune system.

One of the many bad things about a situation like this is wondering about what's happened to online friends and acquaintances. I know there are several here who have mentioned in passing being older or living in an assisted living facility. When someone like that stops posting, I wonder if something happened to them. I've been involved in online communities since the early 80's when I was on BIX. Sometimes someone will post when one of the community has passed, but usually it's simply "anyone remember so-n-so? Wonder what happened to them."
Old 03-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
The opera, ballet and theater have shut down and are cancelling or postponing their shows. We were supposed to go see a live production of 1984 this weekend.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #12
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I suspect that trying to tune out things like the latest speculation on the virus and the ups and downs of the stock market is the best approach. Stress can have a very negative effect on a person's health, and as well as negatively impact one's immune system.
I agree with this. I have a few friends that keep sending me videos and stuff, and I don't need to watch more videos from every expert and "expert" that's come out of the woodwork. It's been difficult to explain to them that yes, I'm taking this very seriously, but I literally cannot do any more than I'm already doing, and the non-stop doomsday proclamations are taking a huge toll on my already-fragile mind.

I give myself a few minutes in the mornings to scan both local and national headlines for anything that I might actually need to know, then I get on with my day. I've worked at home for 10+ years. I'm already a hermit by most standards. I order my groceries and everything else online. I've already warned my mother that, unless things clear up extremely fast, my trip to see her next month will have to be postponed.

I don't know if the virus will make me sick, but stress most definitely will if I don't control it.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #13
booksinascii
booksinascii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 7th Gen
My school got closed, but I'm able to still study and work on coursework here and there (a lot of the work is through online stuff). I've started reading more in my free time, as well as work on some personal projects of mine.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

I give myself a few minutes in the mornings to scan both local and national headlines for anything that I might actually need to know, then I get on with my day.
That's what I'm doing. I'm not in a high-risk category - I'm not over 65 and I don't have preexisting conditions that would make me more vulnerable. I'm still going to work as it's a small office and we don't deal with the public. I am still going to stores and getting fast food lunches. So far we haven't had cases reported in my city. I may change my behavior if we start getting an influx in the area.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We are dealing with Tim's mom only just being moved to a nursing home 2 weeks ago today. The adjustment has been tough for her, and now no one can visit. It's a good place, and she seems to be coping fairly well, but she easily misunderstands details, and is a hand-wringer from way back. She is 89, 90 at the end of May, and basically in good health, but is unsteady on her feet. This has been stressful for the family, along with closing up her apartment. The workers at the nursing home are doing a good job, but activities are being limited there as well to keep down on large groups.

Tim's working, but the company has stopped any vendors/visitors to the building, and stopped all travel. He can work from home with his laptop as long as the servers here and in Minnesota are up and running. Their "mother ship" is in Minnesota.

We are both over 60, but have no health issues that make us high risk. We are just being extra careful, and staying away from people as much as possible.

Both our daughter and her wife work food service. Daughter delivers for a pizza shop, DIL is a sous chef at a local owned high end place. They don't do much carry out, but eating in has been stopped, so they are meeting today to work out how to offer carry out. The pizza shop is encouraging customers to pay online so no one has to handle cash. They can't afford too many days of being off work...

Our oldest son is in Gumi South Korea...schools are closed, (he works in the schools thru EPIK) and he is bored out of his mind. He is alone, knows enough Korean to get by, but there isn't much to do for him except online games, streaming, etc. It's been a few days since we talked to him. He is 40, not a child, but it's very hard to be so far away from him, knowing he is now on his own over there.

Our son in Louisville works from home, they are staying in with the 2 kids, 6 and 4. Everyone there is fine, as is our son who lives here near us. This son drives between Canton and Pittsburg PA 3 days a week...he can do much of his work from home as well if need be. Their boys are healthy, but bored, they are 7, 10, and 12.

Adding...I'm watching The Diary of Anne Frank right now, which is giving me some healthy perspective on being somewhat housebound and inconvenienced.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 03-16-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Closed Thread