Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #16
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda53 View Post
I'm holding off flashing my firmware while I read all of your comments... but I've been wondering, with the reinstatement of back to the last page read...

What will happen if the ebook is damaged, corrupt, whatever? Will it just loop repeatedly? I had this happen in the original firmware release... I think that's why they removed the facility in later firmware.

regards,
Pamela
It seems to revert back to the previous book.

While i tried with the RTF, which work before november firmware but failed with the firmware thereafter, it hangs, unable to open and I had to press reset button. Then when it restarts, it went back to the book i exited which is a pdf before i try the rtf file.

So far, the new feb firmware looks to have the best improvement, yet, for some reason unknown, my start up page is fixed to horizontal after i turned it off during horizontal....

jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
andygates
andygates began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
Put the new firmware on without incident. Snappy and yes, epub zoom behaviour is better.
andygates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 AM   #18
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
A feature I've noticed from playing around with zoom levels in a PDF:

Only levels 1 to 7 are available from the volume/zoom keys on the side.
Level 1 is whole-page (how the pdf would appear as printed)
Levels 2 to 2 are reflowed.
If you set it to level 8 (from the menu) you get a zoomed-in whole-page style view. But then you have to scroll around. Sometimes the borders mess up, and it doesn't work very well in horizontal mode, but it shows promise.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #19
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
A feature I've noticed from playing around with zoom levels in a PDF:

Only levels 1 to 7 are available from the volume/zoom keys on the side.
Level 1 is whole-page (how the pdf would appear as printed)
Levels 2 to 2 are reflowed.
If you set it to level 8 (from the menu) you get a zoomed-in whole-page style view. But then you have to scroll around. Sometimes the borders mess up, and it doesn't work very well in horizontal mode, but it shows promise.
Yes, it does, level 8 zooms in all the way,
it is like chopping an A4 page in to four blocks.
Great improvement for reading comics.

This shows the NTX guys does have hope!

jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #20
Alcuith
Enthusiast
Alcuith began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Iliad, Cool-er
The process has bricked my Reader what a nightmare. Anybody have any tips on that, I can't even turn it on properly, just get a striped looking page and it won't power off. 48 hours and counting...
Alcuith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #21
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
This sounds like what happened to my first one ... and forgive me for asking, but did you unpack the firmware files before you put them on the sd, or did you copy the update file onto your sd card?

If you forgot to unpack the files, do that and try again. Also, have you tried doing a reset and then reconnecting to your pc?

best of luck!
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #22
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

I'm with Panda - did you unpack everything correctly?
The firmware files (inside the archive) need to be extracted to the root of your SD card, so you'll see the files/directories below as soon as you click on the sd card.
Code:
ap   dev      etc    font   home  linuxrc     mnt  proc  sbin  tmp  var
bin  ebrmain  files  fonts  lib   lost+found  pic  root  sys   usr
Old 02-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #23
juantxu3
juantxu3 began at the beginning.

Yes, this is the solution: unpack
juantxu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #24
crill
crill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Ok, so I haven't updated mine at all yet, because the instructions looked confusing. But I finally went to try and go ahead with it. I put all the files onto the SD card... not in a folder... and the card was formatted... and i plugged into the computer, put in the SD, pressed the two buttons, and reset, and then it just froze on the little status squares at the bottom right. It was stuck like that for an hour.

Now tried to reset again and reload the stuff on the SD card... but I think I bricked it. No matter what, if I have the card in or not... when I reset it while holding the two keys down... it freezes after 7 squares appear at the bottom.

This is why I did not want to update... and I really dont feel like having to send it back, what a hassle. Does anyone have suggestions or help or something new I could try. I use a mac if that matters.
crill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #25
codeMonkey
Zealot

How big is the SD card? One above 4gb can cause problems.

You might want to try erasing and re-extracting the files to the SD card again.
Then eject the card (or whatever you have to do on a mac to make sure the files are fully synced) and try again with the three-button-reset.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #26
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
Try another SD card, the only time i couldn't go thru the upgrade was because the SD wouldn't work on the Cool-Er. The SD wasn't faulty, just some problems when reading it from the Cool-Er. I must be close to my 40th upgrade now after trying to play with the firmware and running a new linux kernel from the SD and that never did fail except that once.
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #27
crill
crill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheesecrill can extract oil from cheese

This is my second SD card... and its 1GB. The other I tried was a 512, but it was finicky putting the files on it. I will try later to reload the files onto the SD and try the three button reset.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #28
codeMonkey
Zealot

Let us know how it goes - we might be able to help.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #29
juantxu3
juantxu3 began at the beginning.

Sure that finally works
juantxu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #30
crill

So it finally worked!! After about 7 tries... haha. This new firmware is much better they very first one (which mine was running). Page turning is MUCH quicker, and the font sizes are nicely spaced, and I finally found a size I like.

So excited.