Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
140 in Canada, 130 in US. WHY???

Can anyone explain why $140 in Canada, $130 in US ?
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

plus, I'm in Ontario, means the final price will be $158CND for me.
it's a no go for me, for now.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
Can anyone explain why $140 in Canada, $130 in US ?
Could there be some kind of taxes/fees Kobo has to pay to bring then into the country that perhaps don't have to be paid on the devices shipped to Borders in the US? I rally don't know, just a thought.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I... honestly don't think a $10 difference is that bad at all. Does Canada have on average a higher standard of living, higher minimum wage, etc.? Plus there's the possibility of taxes and fees, as Oak's mentioned.

Despite the AUD being higher than the USD, I'm pretty resigned to this new Kobo Touch being $180AUD when it makes it to stores down here. Must be cause we're all upside down here.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
pokerface
pokerface began at the beginning.

Device: Too many to list!
Everything is more expensive in Canada
pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
I believe it has to do with the higher competitiveness in the US market. Even at $139 these will sell extremely well in Canada. Most Canadian are more likely to buy a Kobo that they can try out in Chapters instead of ordering a Kindle from US, while in the states the lower price is necessary to make Kobo a successful competitor to the Kindle.
Just my opinion.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Could there be some kind of taxes/fees Kobo has to pay to bring then into the country that perhaps don't have to be paid on the devices shipped to Borders in the US? I rally don't know, just a thought.
Kobo is a Canadian company and kobo's are made/repaired in Toronto Ontario Canada so there would be to taxes/fess since they come from Canada
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
Kobo is a Canadian company and kobo's are made/repaired in Toronto Ontario Canada so there would be to taxes/fess since they come from Canada
I highly doubt Kobo's are made in Toronto. If I had to guess they're made in China.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Yeah, I'd be very surprised if the Kobo was made here as well. And the eReader market in the U.S. is much more competitive than it is here in Canada. Amazon's Kindle and Barnes & Noble's Nook devices are the top two devices there. They have to price the Kobo competitively to try to compete. The new Nook, available only in the U.S. and announced the day after the Kobo Touch, has essentially the same features but is $10 more expensive - $139. At $129 they're probably hoping the Kobo can gain some ground in the U.S.

Last edited by Suzanna; 05-25-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The address for repairs is Celestica on Don Mills / Eglinton. Celestica DOES do custom manufacturing for firms, so it's possible they might also do manufacturing.

Now remember that Gerald Schwartz (Heather Reisman's husband) is on the board of Chapters/Indigo, and is also on the board at Celestica, as well as being the CEO of Onex who own Celestica, I think that might add to the option of Celestica being involved.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I assume it is still the case that Canada's govt levies taxes at the wholesale level. The US govt does not.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
DavidF
DavidF began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
I... honestly don't think a $10 difference is that bad at all. Does Canada have on average a higher standard of living, higher minimum wage, etc.? Plus there's the possibility of taxes and fees, as Oak's mentioned.

Despite the AUD being higher than the USD, I'm pretty resigned to this new Kobo Touch being $180AUD when it makes it to stores down here. Must be cause we're all upside down here.
$180 ?? Given that the current wifi model is nearly 50% more expensive (US $99, Aus $179), I am anticipating that the Touch model will be $200 plus when it eventually ships to Australia.

How do you spell Rip-off ??

P.S. I would love a touch model, but since I have passed my Original down to my wife so I could get a wifi recently, I dont think I will be allowed
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
At the current exchange rate the price of the Kobo Touch converts from US$130 to NZ$163, but I fully expect it to sell for about NZ$250 or even NZ$299 down here in New Zealand. NZ is even worse than Australia!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
They are NOT made in Canada. Go visit any Chapters, Indigo or Walmart and flip it over. Made in China.

Yes, most things are always more expensive in Canada than the US but $10 plus the tax difference isn't a huge difference. At least, I don't think so and this is coming from someone who drives over the border once a week. I rarely buy product in Canada anymore.

Example: Sally's Beauty Supply. The identical product in Canada is $13.19 but in the US it's $8.29. ??? Makes no sense to me. The product is made in the US so there should be no import tax on it for Canadian sellers.

If you're in the US often buy it there but you won't be able to drop in to any Chapters, Indigo and exchange it if you have an issue with it. That'd be worth the $10+ difference to me. My little Sony on the other hand, eesh. $199 in Canada or $129.99 at certain stores in the US.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
They are NOT made in Canada. Go visit any Chapters, Indigo or Walmart and flip it over. Made in China.
You're right. It should have occurred to me to look at the device. I'm looking at my Kobo WiFi now and on the bottom it says "Made in Taiwan".
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote