Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony Reader GPL sources download link

If you aren't already sick and tired of hearing about the Sony Reader today, I have one more for you. Although the Reader hasn't even shipped yet, you can already download the sources which are under GPL. Use the following link:

http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/D.../PRS-500U.html

You will need to hit the link twice and confirm the cookies before. It's only a guess, but the EBOOK_1_2_0_P4.2_20051008_Linux_src.tgz (~25MB) file could be interesting.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
You will need to hit the link twice and confirm the cookies before. It's only a guess, but the EBOOK_1_2_0_P4.2_20051008_Linux_src.tgz (~25MB) file could be interesting.
Indeed it is. Too bad the changelog is in Japanese. Latest changes were 2003/09/05 (???).

#
# NSC Linux 1.2.0 RC0 for EBOOK $B%+!<%M%kJQ99MzNr(B
#
# $BJQ99$7$?>l9gJQ99FbMF$r?7$7$$$b$N$,>e$K$J$k$h$&$ KDI2C$7$F2<$5$$!#(B
#

Guess it has a lot of code from the Sony Librie (which sources you can find here btw).
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
But is that enough to (at least partically) rebuild the OS? I know there is still no alternative or modified OS for the Librie, so I assume it's not. I think the unsolved problem is getting that stuff back ONTO the device.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think the firmware can be flashed/updated via the Connect Software (I don't know this, I think it). If that's the case, it might be possible to re-flash it that way, if you brick the rascal.

Just a thought, I would rather know more before I tried anything that might brick it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #5
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
the script to reflash was not released for the librie -it was reversenginered-. Nor the methods to compile from sources. These "minor" gpl violations were unprotested in japan!

Still, the source code of usb and display proved to be essential.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

arivero, do you think we can invite the guys who reverse-engineered the Librie components over to us? Or are they already among us (*clueless*)?

Or perhaps we wait until we've decided on the new forum subsections ("hacking/development"...)?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
But is that enough to (at least partically) rebuild the OS? I know there is still no alternative or modified OS for the Librie, so I assume it's not. I think the unsolved problem is getting that stuff back ONTO the device.
There is.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4061
Old 09-27-2006, 05:38 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It seems the kernel has changed very little from Librie. Config "ebook4" adds the following compared to the Librie's "ebook2":
1) Support for Dragonball MX1 Lite (energy-saving version of MX1?).
2) Support for "EBX5009", which seems to be a Flash memory controller (bigger chip size?) the internal name of PRS-500. NOR bus changed from 32 bit to 16 bit, some NAND logic was amended. Support for 128MB (bit/byte?) added.
3) There is a new kernel config called "ebook4nfs". It enables Ethernet (SMC91111 controller), PPP, NFS, SMB and some other protocols. I wonder if it's used only on dev models or they're actually planning to release a networked version?

Last edited by igorsk; 09-27-2006 at 06:00 AM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:30 AM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
so...can we port the Sony software for the Iliad?

just kidding...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
so...can we port the Sony software for the Iliad?

just kidding...^^
Now that would be fun, wouldn't it?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Sony released a re-flash tool to update the device along with their first (of two) firmware update. This was later exploited to produce an english-ified version of the device (using the second and so far: final update.)

They never had to release full sources for the device, unlike iRex they wrote quite a bit of software rather than build upon OSS tools such as xpdf/minimo.

I never really felt the need to reprogram the Librie the way I constantly feel the need to do with the iLiad.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
doctorow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I never really felt the need to reprogram the Librie the way I constantly feel the need to do with the iLiad.
... which probably goes back to the Librie/Reader being dedicated e-book devices with less potential hardware capabilities than the iLiad.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Or perhaps it's an effect of the iLiad's software still being "beta"
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #14
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
the adventure of reverse engineering the librie can be followed in a yahoo mailing list. First surprising thing: no japanese involved!!! It seems japanese hackers were not interested on the posibilities of the machine.

First step become when people dissected the file format of the upgrades. The upgrade is via the USB connection, not need to be online, using a PC application provided by sony. A person -who has not got a librie!!- did a small program able to repackage a linux filesystem and to recalculate checksums. Then some others started the "librie translation project", using this tool to create a japanese librie.

At some time in the project, they decided to introduce a trick to execute scripts: a new entry in the rc.d inits looking for a file named "hook.sh" in the memory stick, and executing it if available.

Now the source code enters play. One of the tarballs genuine from sony was a driver module for communication via the USB. And they did use of it to login. Genuine modification of a module in the source code!

(will follow later)
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
... which probably goes back to the Librie/Reader being dedicated e-book devices with less potential hardware capabilities than the iLiad.
I suspect my irritation with the iLiad goes to one basic issue: I really don't believe the iRex developers actually use them to read in their personal lives.

I believe the Sony developers, both Librie and Reader, actually use the devices in their personal lives.

The Sony units are polished devices with the little features that keep the device from being as irritating as the iLiad is as a book reader. My irritation with the unit was low until recently since I spent most of my time swapping units with iRex to get a working unit. Now that I've been using it actively: constant irritation.

The UI is not polished, obvious and useful features are missing, it has at most one useful configuration option of sound on/off (it is horribly inflexible to your needs) and I'm always worried about the battery going flat.

The word that summarizes the unit to me: arrogance.

Why can't I adjust the page bar to flip the other way? Every time I flip a page with it I wish I could configure it to flip the other way to go forwards. Constant cognitive dissonance at a very basic level. A very easily solved issue, configuration feature: page bar advance page flip [] left [x] right

How many meetings are folks at iRex taking notes on a device where you can't even calibrate the stylus to line up with where you are marking on the screen? I figure that answer is fairly obvious: zero.

I am upset with Sony on one issue though. If you've got a customer willing to spend $112 for expedited shipping and another one not willing to, you ship one of the limited availability units to the customer willing to spend $112 USD.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote