Notices

Old 02-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #106
SamP
SamP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Increased Battery drain since applying the Firmware update

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I had the same experience on my Voyage. Manually applied the new update on Wednesday night. Voyage wasn't used until I turned it on this morning (Friday) and battery level showed near empty. My Voyage is permanently in airplane mode.

I did add three or four books to the Voyage just after I updated the firmware. I don't think that indexing the four books would have caused such a quick drain, but maybe it was stuck for awhile on one of the books. I did check to see if it was still indexing when I noticed the battery level and it wasn't.

I'm charging it now and am hoping this is an anomaly. I'll report back when I know more.
An update on this topic.
Having gotten rid of the book which refused to index, the battery on my well-used 6th Gen PW is still draining much faster than before (whilst being used with the same settings & for the same amount of time per day as before).

I repeated the check for un-indexed books & there were none.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #107
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Have now got 5.9.4 on my PW2, PW3 and KOA2.

I like the clock. I record how long I've been reading for and so I use the clock to know when I start and stop. It's not a big deal but prior to this I was always tapping to get the menu (and clock) and sometimes advancing a page (or going to the toc) by mistake. A minor irritation but one I'm glad to be rid of.

It would be nice if we could have the black-on-white mode on non-Oasis Kindles. It really is a killer feature for me.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I love how many people say feature XYZ is a feature I need to have when they didn't have it and didn't even think about it until it was released for a different model Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #109
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I love how many people say feature XYZ is a feature I need to have when they didn't have it and didn't even think about it until it was released for a different model Reader.
Well it's similar to how I love my car heated seats in the winter, the cruise control, various gauges, sensors and alarms.

Did I miss them decades ago, no, but I sure would now.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #110
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Have now got 5.9.4 on my PW2, PW3 and KOA2.

I like the clock. I record how long I've been reading for and so I use the clock to know when I start and stop. It's not a big deal but prior to this I was always tapping to get the menu (and clock) and sometimes advancing a page (or going to the toc) by mistake. A minor irritation but one I'm glad to be rid of.

It would be nice if we could have the black-on-white mode on non-Oasis Kindles. It really is a killer feature for me.
My kindle basic just updated last night and the first thing I did was set the clock. I wouldn't mind if there was an option to see the date as well when reading a book.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #111
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
concerning the double or triple flicker(flash) since the new upgrade. I believe I have discovered why it happens.If you make a page change at the exact same moment that the clock is changing the minute it will double flicker. I personally don't find this annoying and like the clock. Other people might want to test this and see if they agree.
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsussman View Post
concerning the double or triple flicker(flash) since the new upgrade. I believe I have discovered why it happens.If you make a page change at the exact same moment that the clock is changing the minute it will double flicker.
Yes, this has been reported previously in this thread (and others). Turn off the clock and you won't get the flicker.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #113
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Haven't gotten around to downloading the update. The clock changes every minute or only on page turns?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #114
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Haven't gotten around to downloading the update. The clock changes every minute or only on page turns?
The clock updates in place, as you might expect. But it seems if it is changing at the same time you do page turn you may see the screen redraw twice.

If the screen locks while in reading mode, then on unlock the time will be wrong until the next minute flips over.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #115
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The clock updates in place, as you might expect. But it seems if it is changing at the same time you do page turn you may see the screen redraw twice.

If the screen locks while in reading mode, then on unlock the time will be wrong until the next minute flips over.
That would drive me nuts. So easy to do screen refresh in memory before turning off the sleep image. Maybe in a future update.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #116
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm not sure if this was part of the firmware update or not, but the Kindle Basic 8th gen now streams Audible books that are in your account. It's a bit clunky moving back and forth between Whispersync and I haven't figured out how to play and read at the same time (an issue for those with learning disability or English as a second language). The Audiobook plays either to the headset you have plugged in or to bluetooth speaker.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-28-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #117
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'm not sure if this was part of the firmware update or not, but the Kindle Basic 8th gen now streams Audible books that are in your account. It's a bit clunky moving back and forth between Whispersync and I haven't figured out how to play and read at the same time (an issue for those with learning disability or English as a second language). The Audiobook plays either to the headset you have plugged in or to bluetooth speaker.
Kindle cannot play Audible in background while you view synchronized text. You can do that with Fire/iOS/Android Kindle app.

Too bad, right? One might actually use a Kindle for audiobooks if it was able to do such ‘immersion reading’. Maybe they are working on it.

The other trick I wish they would add is Plain Old text-to-speech (alongside VoiceView), and ability to download additional voices.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #118
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Is a manual update the only way to get the newest firmware? I thought that Kindles automatically downloaded and installed new firmware updates, but so far neither of my Kindles have updated.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
Well it's similar to how I love my car heated seats in the winter, the cruise control, various gauges, sensors and alarms.

Did I miss them decades ago, no, but I sure would now.
But until you have this new feature and have used it, do you miss it? No. You cannot miss something you never had.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:58 AM   #120
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Is a manual update the only way to get the newest firmware? I thought that Kindles automatically downloaded and installed new firmware updates, but so far neither of my Kindles have updated.
They do, but OTA updates are rolled out over a period of several months.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote